Ryan Tannehill contract

dckid

Reaction score
I would not be so sure. I mean, the amount of money you will have to pay Dak, the situation you are in with his contract demands, a lot of teams may not be interested in that. The more I see what's happening in the NFL, and I never ever thought I'd say this, the more in favor I become of dumbing down the Offenses even more and just rolling with Rookie QBs on 5 year deals.

Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to now. Only way you can afford to compete and win, seems like.
I agree with you. I said the exact same this not this past offseason but the one before. I need to find that post.
The good rookie QB contract is the biggest loophole in all of sports. If I am pay Mahomes 4 million dollars or Wilson 500k and win a SB sign me up. I would rather pay Sean Mcvay 15-20 million a year to find the next Goff than pay Goff 35 million a year. Rams are in so much trouble with Goff. The big butt in our situation is our FO can’t find another guy. We all know that we lucked into Dak as well as Romo.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Dak is shooting for a deal that exceeds Russell Wilson's. Dak has nowhere near the skins that WIlson does. His salary averages $35 million. Dak's agents have supposedly been pushing for $40m a year. Dak is getting $29 million under the tag right now.

Tannehill is not a bad QB. He has just been on some really, really bad teams. The Dolphins have had really bad talent for quite a while, especially on the OL. Hard to judge Tannehill on what went down there. We do know on a team that is pretty good he took them to the AFC Championship game. WHile most of us think Dak is better than Tannehill, it is somewhat of a question as to how much better.

Considering that the cap just went up with the new CBA, an increase a little over 5% since last years cap, you could say that if WIlson's contract was adjusted for inflation it might be worth closer to $37M a year. Dak's deal should be somewhere between Tannehill's and Wilson's - in the 33m a year range based on the current going rate.

$33M? Don't think so. Even if you think Dak is equal to Goff and Wentz who got $34M, we're now close to 1 year beyond those deals which, if you consider your inflation example which is valid on these deals, puts Dak at least at $35M. If you think Dak is better than those QBs, you go beyond even that, which I think will happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would rather have Tannehill than Prescott.

However, I wouldn't give either of them that deal.

I suspect that you might find a few GMs in the league who might agree with your stated position here. For the record, I would hate to see you delete your account.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak will be the highest paid player in NFL history (until Mahomes gets his extension). He shouldn’t be mad about anything. In addition, he makes WAY more than Ryan Tannehills or whatever his name is in endorsements - I repeat WAY MORE... simply because he plays QB for the Dallas Cowboys. You don’t see pimple face Wentz on any commercials do you?

Its ridiculous to think the Cowboys haven’t been fair to Dak - they offered him $105 guaranteed and $33/m per year last August and he turned it down. That was a very fair contract, so the narrative that the Cowboys are treating him like the Commanders treated ‘Curt’ Cousins is just flat out not true.

Here's what wrong with your idea that being the Cowboys QB gets you more endorsement money. It may in Dallas but I don't live in the metroplex now and I only see Prescott in one commercial that airs nation wide. Just like Prescott might be in a lot of commercials that air in the Dallas or Texas area, others like Wentz are probably in a lot of commercials that air just in the Philly area that Dallas fans don't see. I will admit that I haven't see Wentz in any national commercials though. The commercials or endorsements that pay the really big bucks are the ones that air nationally.

InTheZone

Reaction score
In the nfl a starting QB is either worth over paying or not paying at all. I hold Dak in the first group.
these two extremes should just be obvious reasons for teams to move on then if the guy isn't elite or consistently good.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Another perfect example of a quarterback having ONE good season and big pay day afterwards. Just like Goff/Wentz & Carr. How have they been doing since that ONE good season?! :rolleyes:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would rather have Tannehill than Prescott.

However, I wouldn't give either of them that deal.
tannehill has only had half a good season in his years in the league...so you would rather pay tannehill, $30 mill a year for being good for a half season!!! and his performance in the playoffs was atricious

against NE, coaching helped them...he had all of 72 yards passing...it was all henry with 182 yards rushing
against ravens he had all of 88 yards passing, it was again all henry with 195 yards rushing
against KC he had 209 yards passing....

color me not impressed.....he should pay 5% to henry for getting him his contract.

way over rated

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
tannehill has only had half a good season in his years in the league...so you would rather pay tannehill, $30 mill a year for being good for a half season!!! and his performance in the playoffs was atricious

against NE, coaching helped them...he had all of 72 yards passing...it was all henry with 182 yards rushing
against ravens he had all of 88 yards passing, it was again all henry with 195 yards rushing

color me not impressed.....he should pay 5% to henry for getting him his contract.

way over rated
Ryan Tannehill Playoff wins just last season - 2

Dak Prescott Playoff wins his entire career - 1

Clearly Tannehill is the better QB....and its obvious that Derek Henry had a great postseason because teams were defending the pass first.:):):)

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Clearly Tannehill is the better QB....and its obvious that Derek Henry had a great postseason because teams were defending the pass first.:):):)
Great post. Now post their ages.

dckid

Reaction score

LOL.... hahaha

eromeopolk

Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/breaking-down-ryan-tannehills-extension-1002/

This is such a interesting contract and I can actually see why Dak is a bit upset. I read the article this morning and actually last week I heard Ryen Russilo do a breakdown of the contract. He did not talk Dak at all.
So Tannehill got a 20 million dollar signing bonus, which he will get paid up front.
First year salary of 17 million + the bonus makes a total of 37 million in his first year.
The second year he has a salary of 24 million. Then there is a beautiful clause which states if he is on the roster on the 5th league day of 2021, (which is next year) his 2022 salary of 29 million becomes fully guaranteed.
If you guys are following me on this Tannehill basically got 91 million guaranteed for three years plus an out clause. I was blown away.
There is no way in hell that Tannehill is not on the roster on the 5th league day next year... The league year for 2020 started March 18th.

What an amazing deal for a guy who was the dictionary definition of a bus driver. Again I am not a Dak lover, supporter or anything like that, but he is too stupid to sign a deal or the Cowboys just really really don't want to sign him. Wow
Tannehill agent representatives are Dak Prescott agent representatives. So Jerry Jones needs to get off his cramping wrinkled old butt so that hand that does not get cramps writing checks can work.

I told everyone last year that Jerry Jones had never gone up against agents that really do not fear (Godly fear) him who were representing Elliott, and that Elliott would get paid. My 9th ward brothers from New Orleans got Elliott his money (Zeke who, remember the agents response). Now Dak is represented by the Jerry Jones mentality Agency that includes Todd France, Jimmy Sexton, Tom Condon, and Brian Ayrault, CAA Agency.

CAA represented Tannehill but they also represents the Titans GM. That's that Kobe Bryant, Rob Pelinka, Laker takeover level stuff.

So Jerry is only messing up team morale, and the success of the season delaying the inevitable.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

but that's the point though..right? what did tannehill had to do with the victories outside of being there.... that's like Dilfer...right place, right time...no one mistook dilfer for a great QB...

but I assume you were being sarcastic

aikemirv

Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/breaking-down-ryan-tannehills-extension-1002/

This is such a interesting contract and I can actually see why Dak is a bit upset. I read the article this morning and actually last week I heard Ryen Russilo do a breakdown of the contract. He did not talk Dak at all.
So Tannehill got a 20 million dollar signing bonus, which he will get paid up front.
First year salary of 17 million + the bonus makes a total of 37 million in his first year.
The second year he has a salary of 24 million. Then there is a beautiful clause which states if he is on the roster on the 5th league day of 2021, (which is next year) his 2022 salary of 29 million becomes fully guaranteed.
If you guys are following me on this Tannehill basically got 91 million guaranteed for three years plus an out clause. I was blown away.
There is no way in hell that Tannehill is not on the roster on the 5th league day next year... The league year for 2020 started March 18th.

What an amazing deal for a guy who was the dictionary definition of a bus driver. Again I am not a Dak lover, supporter or anything like that, but he is too stupid to sign a deal or the Cowboys just really really don't want to sign him. Wow
So have you seen the contract that the Cowboys offered Dak?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
but that's the point though..right? what did tannehill had to do with the victories outside of being there.... that's like Dilfer...right place, right time...no one mistook dilfer for a great QB...

but I assume you were being sarcastic
Total sarcasm on my end....but the inner troll in me was hoping people would take it serious

erod

Reaction score

way over rated

Overrated for that contract for sure. But still better than Prescott.

Can you imagine Dak against New England, Baltimore, and trying to win a shootout against Mahomes?

Yeesh. 0-3 the ugly way.

erod

Reaction score
I cannot believe I have to defend Prescott. Excuse I have to hold my nose and do it. Dak is much better than Tannehill. I think you could survey every GM in the league and it would be a very lopsided decision in favor of Dak.. ( still holding my nose)
And I think you'd be amazed at how many would take Tannehill.

Dak is NOT highly regarded across the league by players, coaches, or GMs. Teams actually gameplan to put the game in Dak's hands.