Ryan Tannehill contract

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
From what you read Dak's agent has been asking the moon and that has been the delay. As you point out, he asked for the moon for Tannehill and got it.

Dallas believes "deadlines make deals" and have no problem with him playing under the tag. I don't think either side will do a lot until we get closer to the deadline and then the contract will be similar to Zeke's in that its more money than fans are happy with but more team friendly than they realize.

Nope, its been quite clear what has been reported and its nothing to do with money. Its got to do with the length of the contact. Dak wants 4 years and the Cowboys want 5. Dak is actually asking for LESS money overall.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Goff average is 33.5m according to Spotrac....and he was a high number one pick AND took his team to the Super Bowl. Wentz was a high first round pick and is still considered better by many and is at 32m average on a deal less than a year old. So 33-34m is very reasonable. A lot of people don't think he is worth anywhere near that....so he can get stuck with the franchise tag of less than 29m...or he can get 2-3 years of guaranteed money at 33-34m a year. Guaranteed beats maybe all day.

Then consider this.....he could have had a deal done last year and maybe got an average similar to Wentz instead of the 2m he got paid last year. Do you think he is going to make up that 30m difference? I don't.

Neither Wentz or Goff are considered better than Dak by most. That is false.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Henry signed his FT, hes not holding out..

Wasn't it just recently? I was surprised he signed it. Was it something like $10M? Gurley got canned. Melvin Gordon lost out in the end. Jerry caved and gave in to Zeke in my opinion.

NickZepp

Reaction score
You almost can't build a team if you have a star QB now adays because you gotta pay the QB so much of your roster. And if we see an economic depression after this year I don't see teams and the league in general making enough money to keep paying players that much for one position as important as it is. Something will have to change.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lotta propel saying we could have any rb in our system and wouldn't matter. But a VERY average QB that seems to excel,....on THIS stacked team and system...no other QB could do? Really?

Now your gonna tell me QB is the most crucial part of the team and super bowls. BRADY BRADY BRADY!
Tampa Bay And Baltimore Ravens won super bowls with...what QB?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You almost can't build a team if you have a star QB now adays because you gotta pay the QB so much of your roster. And if we see an economic depression after this year I don't see teams and the league in general making enough money to keep paying players that much for one position as important as it is. Something will have to change.

You make a good point that the accounting department in modern day football is a critical component. The NFL intended to level the playing field. Maybe they did/ Too much.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind if dak signed this exact contract. And Tannehill actually had better stats last year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/breaking-down-ryan-tannehills-extension-1002/

This is such a interesting contract and I can actually see why Dak is a bit upset. I read the article this morning and actually last week I heard Ryen Russilo do a breakdown of the contract. He did not talk Dak at all.
So Tannehill got a 20 million dollar signing bonus, which he will get paid up front.
First year salary of 17 million + the bonus makes a total of 37 million in his first year.
The second year he has a salary of 24 million. Then there is a beautiful clause which states if he is on the roster on the 5th league day of 2021, (which is next year) his 2022 salary of 29 million becomes fully guaranteed.
If you guys are following me on this Tannehill basically got 91 million guaranteed for three years plus an out clause. I was blown away.
There is no way in hell that Tannehill is not on the roster on the 5th league day next year... The league year for 2020 started March 18th.

What an amazing deal for a guy who was the dictionary definition of a bus driver. Again I am not a Dak lover, supporter or anything like that, but he is too stupid to sign a deal or the Cowboys just really really don't want to sign him. Wow
sounds like it is also a short deal like 3-4 years, which is what dak has been wanting.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Goff average is 33.5m according to Spotrac....and he was a high number one pick AND took his team to the Super Bowl. Wentz was a high first round pick and is still considered better by many and is at 32m average on a deal less than a year old. So 33-34m is very reasonable. A lot of people don't think he is worth anywhere near that....so he can get stuck with the franchise tag of less than 29m...or he can get 2-3 years of guaranteed money at 33-34m a year. Guaranteed beats maybe all day.

Then consider this.....he could have had a deal done last year and maybe got an average similar to Wentz instead of the 2m he got paid last year. Do you think he is going to make up that 30m difference? I don't.

All the reason to try to get more now and going forward. The market moves the way the market moves. He's getting more than Goff and Wentz easy and probably eclipsing Wilson too. He has pretty good leverage as well since we have no one behind him. Same as Zeke. How'd that work out for Zeke?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/breaking-down-ryan-tannehills-extension-1002/

This is such a interesting contract and I can actually see why Dak is a bit upset. I read the article this morning and actually last week I heard Ryen Russilo do a breakdown of the contract. He did not talk Dak at all.
So Tannehill got a 20 million dollar signing bonus, which he will get paid up front.
First year salary of 17 million + the bonus makes a total of 37 million in his first year.
The second year he has a salary of 24 million. Then there is a beautiful clause which states if he is on the roster on the 5th league day of 2021, (which is next year) his 2022 salary of 29 million becomes fully guaranteed.
If you guys are following me on this Tannehill basically got 91 million guaranteed for three years plus an out clause. I was blown away.
There is no way in hell that Tannehill is not on the roster on the 5th league day next year... The league year for 2020 started March 18th.

What an amazing deal for a guy who was the dictionary definition of a bus driver. Again I am not a Dak lover, supporter or anything like that, but he is too stupid to sign a deal or the Cowboys just really really don't want to sign him. Wow
If reports are to be believed, part of the impasse with the Cowboys and Dak is in the length of the deal. The Cowboys, according to reports, want to tie up Dak for 5-6 years, so they Tannehill deal isn't a fit. It's not a fit from Dak's side either because Wentz and Goff are much more analogous to Dak's circumstances, and their deals are over a year old.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
According to the fact that every game plan against Dallas is to put it in Dak's hands.

Teams know that's how you beat the Cowboys.
So you have no facts or data to back up your claim that 95% of league feels Tannihill is better than Dak. Typical.

Go write another TLDR love letter to Tony. Let actual fans of the game and not stalkers of one particular player discuss football

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why are people acting like Tannehill didn't make some beautiful throws in the playoffs? Limited attempts or not, he made key throws and put up points. But either way, that was a 3 game stretch, Tannehill played well from the moment he got the job.
It’s still Ryan with a partial good year. Lol
then you are clueless....and spiteful....lack football knowledge

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why are people acting like Tannehill didn't make some beautiful throws in the playoffs? Limited attempts or not, he made key throws and put up points. But either way, that was a 3 game stretch, Tannehill played well from the moment he got the job.
if Dak did that, and he has had games where he didn't throw for a lot of yards and TDs, then fans be like he was carried by Zeke and the rest of the team, he doesn't deserve the win, and now tannehill throws for 78 and 82 yards or something to that effect and you are like tannehill played well...

lets not forget he sucked and was average for years and has had 10 good games.....yet people be like, he is great, deserving, better than Dak, screw all these other years and games..

so why is it there are two different measuring sticks when comparing? tell me honestly if dak had two games like tannehill but won the playoffs, you would be here trashing him and giving credit to everybody else on the team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
that's not true. QBs have been given top 5 contracts and their teams won, not in the year they were giving the extension or contract but subsequent year. Eli was given the biggest contract ever, but two years later they won the superbowl. its the way of the NFL, the QB salaries go up, what seems high today becomes average two years from now. all you have to do is look at Ryan contract. Wilson contract. Rodgers contract. Cousins contract. etc.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
According to the fact that every game plan against Dallas is to put it in Dak's hands.

Teams know that's how you beat the Cowboys.
where are these facts you speak of? are those the one you stick your hand in your bottom and pull something out?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
if Dak did that, and he has had games where he didn't throw for a lot of yards and TDs, then fans be like he was carried by Zeke and the rest of the team, he doesn't deserve the win, and now tannehill throws for 78 and 82 yards or something to that effect and you are like tannehill played well...

lets not forget he sucked and was average for years and has had 10 good games.....yet people be like, he is great, deserving, better than Dak, screw all these other years and games..

so why is it there are two different measuring sticks when comparing? tell me honestly if dak had two games like tannehill but won the playoffs, you would be here trashing him and giving credit to everybody else on the team.

Yeah, I really don't care what "others" would say. Good throws are good throws. This thing that Tannehill "did nothing" is BS. He had 5 TDs to 1 INT in 3 playoff games. Which means he put up points and it wasn't ALL Henry.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't care what "others" would say. Good throws are good throws. This thing that Tannehill "did nothing" is BS. He had 5 TDs to 1 INT in 3 playoff games. Which means he put up points and it wasn't ALL Henry.

Yep. Someone who actually watched the games. He made a couple of excellent throws in every game playing his part in the team winning in Baltimore and Foxboro.

Swagger

Reaction score

Why do people keep on going on about Tannehill in Miami and comparing that with the offense Prescott has played with in Dallas!?

It's just so tiresome.