Ryan Tannehill Signs - 4 Years, each year 29MM, 23MM Guaranteed

kskboys

Reaction score
Tom Brady in 2010 signed a contract to make him the highest paid player in the league. By this point he had proven himself to be worthy of that and did not offer a discount. When he signed THAT deal he had not shown anything yet. He had just taken over for Bledsoe and while looking okay, was not TOM BRADY yet. So they signed him before he could become that and was smart business by the Pats.
All untrue. By 2010, Brady had won 3 super bowls and played in another. He did sign a contract that year making him the highest paid player in the NFL, 4 yrs/72 mil. Brady took over for Bledsoe in 2001.

You're denying facts that are easily looked up, dude.

Adreme

Reaction score
All untrue. By 2010, Brady had won 3 super bowls and played in another. He did sign a contract that year making him the highest paid player in the NFL, 4 yrs/72 mil. Brady took over for Bledsoe in 2001.

You're denying facts that are easily looked up, dude.

I did look it up. I can literally give you the exact date he signed the contract. Like I said he signed the deal you said in the first season after he took over for Bledsoe which was the 1 SB. However, at that time the team had no idea what they had because he was not exactly a worldbreaker yet.

The way to explain why you are wrong easily, he took over in 2001 and then AFTER that season we would be in the year 2002 and during that offseason after less than a year of starting he signed that deal which is not a bad deal for a player who had less than a year starting in the NFL and was a former 6th round pick. By 2010 he was winning MVPs and was unquestionably considered the best and at that he offered no discount. The one after that was a discount but by then he was both getting older and Giselle had started to become well Giselle.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Tom Brady. His first big contract was 5 yrs/30.52 mil. Drew Bledsoe had previously signed a deal for 10 years/103 mil. That was in 2002. Big bargain, before 200 mil and before Gisele.
And the next one too. 2005, Brady signed a 6 yr/60 mil contract. PManning had previously signed a 7 yr/98mil contract.

That's a complete joke. Brady in 2002 was on his rookie contract and was a year away from even being an RFA. His contract called for him to make 375K that year and that contract gave him 10MM in guarantees over the next two years. If he "took less money" he would have played out his rookie contract (like Dak Prescott did).

It isn't "taking less money" to get THIRTY TIMES as much money on a contract extension.

And by the way, in some years of that contract Brady was the highest paid QB in the NFL. Its laughable to call that "taking less money".

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What’s funny is the Dolphins gave up more to trade for Josh Rosen than they got in return for trading Tannehill.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Ryaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!
Luke_Crywalker.png

;)

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree Brady doesn't need talent to be successful but Wentz does. The Cowboys should easily have won the division but between bad coaching and the worst special teams in the league they took 2-3 extra losses. That isn't on Dak. The one stretch of games that Wentz has looked like an elite qb was when he had a team so great that the backup qb won the Super Bowl for him.

Yet missing more than half his starting offense (not an exaggeration) Wentz put his team on his shoulders and went 4-0 down the stretch including beating us to get into the playoffs and that year you are talking about when Foles won the SB, i guess you forgot that Wentz was on his way to winning the MVP when he torn his knee in week 15, i got news for you Eagles still win the SB that year if Wentz doesn't get hurt and plays

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Yet missing more than half his starting offense (not an exaggeration) Wentz put his team on his shoulders and went 4-0 down the stretch including beating us to get into the playoffs and that year you are talking about when Foles won the SB, i guess you forgot that Wentz was on his way to winning the MVP when he torn his knee in week 15, i got news for you Eagles still win the SB that year if Wentz doesn't get hurt and plays

How did I forget when I brought it up? Just because you assume the Eagles win the Super Bowl with Wentz doesn't make it true. And even if he would have, the fact remains that Foles DID win the Super Bowl with that team. For all we know, Dak could have taken that Eagles team to the Super Bowl too. I don't think hypotheticals are as important as what did happen. I'm not giving Wentz credit for a playoff run where he never saw the field.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
For the people saying we let Dak walk instead of matching Russell Wilson's contract (35MM per, 27MM per year guaranteed), look at what Ryan Freaking Tannehill just got.

Tannehill is the most legit franchice QB after Dak for a long term signing. Coming off a great season. Young enough to not be physically limited by age through a full contract contract.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
If I was JJ, Tannehill’s contract would not change my mind on what I have already offered Dak.

InTheZone

Reaction score
All the more reason to draft every 4-5 years a 1st round qb until you hit on an elite.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Yes they do but they all don't need elite talent to succeed. Just ask Wentz who was throwing to guys off the street this past season and lost his starting 2 RB's and both his starting tackles, or ask Tom Brady who didn't have even a mediocre WR receiver or TE to throw to this past season other than Edelman in the slot and he is getting old. Both made the playoffs by the way
We saw what happened the second Dak didn’t have nfl type talent and had just average nfl wr. He was about to play himself out of a job. I remember listening to a few podcast before the Cooper trade that were wondering if Dak just had a fluke season and should we draft a qb if we would have keep stinking that season to have a top pick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was referring to Pollard getting most of the touches in passing situations..due to style of play calling.
sure id like that BUT EE is a beast in the pass game as well, the old staff forgot to use them lie other teams use their backs..its was shocking..

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ya and it was ALL on Tannehill's back.

:facepalm:
Titans were 2-4 to start 2019..... and Im pretty sure Derrick Henry was playing... and doing jack squat. Tannehill takes over in wk 7 and the team went 7-3 and the office exploded as well as Henry. Henry exploded because Tannehill was schredding teams and they could stack up to stop the run.... so yeah, it was pretty much all on Tannehill's back.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Every. No exceptions.

QBs with talent around them.
Joe Montana? Check.
Brett Favre? Check.
Tom Brady? Check.
Dan Marino? Check.
Dan Fouts? Check.
Terry Bradshaw? Check.
Aaron Rodgers? Check.
Insert hall of fame QB here.

CWR

Reaction score
Yep, I have him penciled in at 37/38m a year but franchising him would cripple this team - the whole $33m would count towards the cap this year. This deal HAS to get done.

How much can we really manipulate the cap room on a shorter deal though? Dak wants big money and shorter terms. I mean you dont have a lot of year to move it around in that case.

Ghost12

Reaction score
How much can we really manipulate the cap room on a shorter deal though? Dak wants big money and shorter terms. I mean you dont have a lot of year to move it around in that case.
You can create voidable years to help with the cap number in the short term. I am not saying they should give it to him but say he wants 3 years, $100 million. They can give him 5 years, $160 million where his signing bonus is $40 million and his year 1/2/3 salaries are $10/$25/$25. That would create cap hits if $18/$33/$33 with $16 dead money at the voidable year, making him a UFA.