S Morgan Burnett to be released

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Can he still play?

Have not watched him, but this is what I've gathered.

In 2014 and 2015 he had the top run defense grade amongst safeties in the league.

For his career he's missed just 62 tackles in 762 attempts, up until this past year(dont have his numbers for last year).

He got upset because the Steelers signed him with his intent of playing his traditional safety role and they had him playing the majority of his snaps at LB. He still had a respectable above average grade last year according to PFF. I'm not a big fan of PFFs overall player grades, but it's the most I can gather at the moment without having watched him.

He had 30 tackles in 389 snaps last year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's a SS.....thought we were looking for FS for more turnovers.

Steelers releasing safety Morgan Burnett
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 22, 2019, 9:52 AM EDT
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/steelers-releasing-safety-morgan-burnett/

gettyimages-1076000026-e1553262655789.jpg

Getty Images

Safeties have been getting paid this offseason, and one of the ones who signed a big contract last season is going to have another chance.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Steelers have informed safety Morgan Burnett that they’ll releasehim by the end of the month.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He's a SS.....thought we were looking for FS for more turnovers.

Steelers releasing safety Morgan Burnett
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 22, 2019, 9:52 AM EDT
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/steelers-releasing-safety-morgan-burnett/

gettyimages-1076000026-e1553262655789.jpg

Getty Images

Safeties have been getting paid this offseason, and one of the ones who signed a big contract last season is going to have another chance.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Steelers have informed safety Morgan Burnett that they’ll releasehim by the end of the month.

No we are looking for and SS to replace Heath.

Berry, Geathers, and Iloka are all SSs.

stiletto

Reaction score
I really hated Heath because of his tackling and punching at the ball technique. He was horrible at both...LOL

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd take a look. Given that he is going to be cut, he wouldn't count against our comp pick count, and we do need a SS.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Morgan Burnett is about to become a free agent. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Burnett is expected to be released by the Pittsburgh Steelers by Apr. 1. Schefter said Burnett was told by the Steelers the release would occur on Wednesday, but accounting issues will delay it for another week. It was reported earlier this year that Burnett asked for his release once the seasons ended.

Burnett signed with the three-year, $14.35 million contract with the Steelers last year after spending his first eight seasons in the league with the Green Bay Packers. However, Burnett did not play as much as he would have liked, seeing action in 389 snaps which is around 37 percent of the Steelers defensive snaps in 2018. He finished the year with 30 tackles and six passes defended. Back in January, Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network talked to Burnett and said he wanted to be released by the Steelers because he wanted a new start.

"Spoke with Steelers' [safety] Morgan Burnett, who tells me he wants to be released from his deal before free agency," Rapoport reported at the time. "During his time in Pittsburgh, he felt he played out of position as a dime LB. Burnett, with two years left on his contract, wants a new start and a chance to play safety again."

Burnett was also dealing with injuries last year which led to him playing in just 11 games. And with the Steelers drafting Terrell Edmunds in the first round last year, the team used him at strong safety instead of Burnett.

So with Burnett wanting to play safety again and the Packers needing more safety help, could Burnett return to Green Bay on a one-year deal? It's unlikely, but Burnett was a very consistent safety during his time in Green Bay. A third-round pick out of Georgia Tech in 2010, Burnett played just four games in his rookie season before going down with an ACL injury. He bounced back in 2011 and started all 16 games, recording 107 tackles, one sack, 11 pass deflections, three interceptions and two forced fumbles. The next season he once again started 16 games, recording 123 tackles, two sacks, five pass deflections, two interceptions and two forced fumbles. His best season may have been in 2014 when he recorded 143 tackles, 1.5 sacks, one interception and four passes defended.

In 2017, the Packers drafted safety Josh Jones in the second round which led to the team no re-signing Burnett. Burnett talked about his NFL future on SiriusXM Radio in February of that year and he was excited about testing the market.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Burnett is 30 years old and has had a history of injuries, which has everything to do with the Steelers agreeing to release him. The team switched him to playing LB which, is a position he dislikes and wants to return to playing safety. The team felt his speed was hampered by his injuries and switched him to LB for that reason. They have others they felt were better suited to play safety. I think I'd look elsewhere to fill that role.

Last edited: