Sack Record (Season)

COfWaBnOY

Reaction score
Most Sacks, Season - 22.5 Michael Strahan, N.Y. Giants, 2001

With two games to go DWare has 19, only 3.5 behind the record. I would LOVE for him to get this record .... :eek:hboy:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
COfWaBnOY;2495230 said:

With two games to go DWare has 19, only 3.5 behind the record. I would LOVE for him to get this record .... :eek:hboy:
not at the expense of winning. So, he has to be aware of screens to his side of the field...he has to be cautious about running up the field and creating running lanes. He can get them in the flow of the game if he is patient.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
How great would it be if he got it on the last game at Texas Stadium?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Achozen;2495234 said:
How great would it be if he got it on the last game at Texas Stadium?

I would much rather it be against McNabb.

May give me some closure on that '15 second long scramble'.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I think its still possible... but I think he needed more against Rothlessbungler... he could have needed 2 to 2.5 sacks... instead he needs 3.5 just to tie.

Bottom line: Only winning matters.

On a side: How fitting would it be... beat the Giants, get the (Giants/Strahan/Favre)record... then knock Giants out of playoffs. NICE!

COfWaBnOY

Reaction score
Record or not ... I can hear DWare ... SHOW ME DA MONEY! ... One thing for sure McNabb will not just lay down for the sack if it comes to that .. heck if not Flaco (sp) this week.. Which would make it mean something ...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
COfWaBnOY;2495230 said:

Strahan has 21.5 Farve *gave* him the last one just so he could break the record. Anyhow, even 22.5 doesn't match *somebody's* 23 sacks in a season! ;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;2495369 said:
Strahan has 21.5 Farve *gave* him the last one just so he could break the record. Anyhow, even 22.5 doesn't match *somebody's* 23 sacks in a season! ;)

He may have taken a dive but what do you want him to do? Get hit? He hasn't played all those games in a row by being stupid.

And for the record I am not a Farve fan.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Whats the team record for Sacks?

We may have an outside shot at that too.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
CATCH17;2495411 said:

I think it's Harvey Martin with 22 but they didn't keep official sack records back then.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2495418 said:
I think it's Harvey Martin with 22 but they didn't keep official sack records back then.

No No.. I mean Team Sacks.

Im sure its in the high 70's or 80's.

We just obliterated the so called "best oline in football".

Reaction score
COfWaBnOY;2495230 said:

I had a post about a month ago about Ware possibly beating out Strahan and some thought I was nuts(I could be a little, lOL) but the way he is playing, IMO, he gets it!

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/def/sacks

here you go...now this is misleading, cause sacks weren't recorded for most of the history of the NFL.....who knows what the sack records would be if they had been.

5 = most seasons leading league in sacks, Raiders (we have 4, we tie them if we keep our pace this season)

72 = most sacks in a season, Chicago

12 = most sacks in a game, Dallas has done this twice

Thomas82

Reaction score
CATCH17;2495411 said:

The team record is 62 sacks in 1985.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Here are the top 5 single-season sack leaders in NFL history:

[FONT=helvetica,arial]22 1/2 [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Michael Strahan [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]NYG [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]2001 [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica,arial]22 [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Mark Gastineau [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]NYJ [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]1984 [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica,arial]21 [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Reggie White [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Phi. [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]1987 [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica,arial]21 [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Chris Doleman [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Min. [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]1989 [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica,arial]20 1/2 [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]Lawrence Taylor [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]NYG [/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial]1986 [/FONT]

dfense

Reaction score
COfWaBnOY;2495230 said:

I'm already satisfied just seeing a Cowboy get 19 sacks. I've watched generations of Cowboys pass rushers. Some, I thought were far better than Ware at rushing the passer. Too Tall, Harvey, the Manster, Tolbert, Haley and even Leon Lett at times were dominant at getting to the opposing signal caller. 12-15 sacks were considered blue chip.

But Ware has expanded this year on his basic bull rush technic that he's lived on for his first couple seasons. His hand work has put the frosting on some already tasty cake. The light has gone on in Ware's head that his hand fighting can really double his sack numbers. He's a monster.

Who's that guy in his draft class he was going to be compared to for his entire career? Marrymore or something like that? I just can't seem to remember him.....

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2495419 said:
No No.. I mean Team Sacks.

Im sure its in the high 70's or 80's.

We just obliterated the so called "best oline in football".

The 85 Bears had 72 sacks. Many still consider that defense the greatest one season performance by a defense ever. I'll never forget the 44-0 beating the Cowboys took that year. Danny White was turned into an old man that day.

Thomas82

Reaction score
dfense;2496059 said:
I'm already satisfied just seeing a Cowboy get 19 sacks. I've watched generations of Cowboys pass rushers. Some, I thought were far better than Ware at rushing the passer. Too Tall, Harvey, the Manster, Tolbert, Haley and even Leon Lett at times were dominant at getting to the opposing signal caller. 12-15 sacks were considered blue chip.

But Ware has expanded this year on his basic bull rush technic that he's lived on for his first couple seasons. His hand work has put the frosting on some already tasty cake. The light has gone on in Ware's head that his hand fighting can really double his sack numbers. He's a monster.

Who's that guy in his draft class he was going to be compared to for his entire career? Marrymore or something like that? I just can't seem to remember him.....

And to think, Parcells actually wanted to draft Marcus Spears at the #11 spot that year.

Thomas82

Reaction score
VCDefectors;2496088 said:
The 85 Bears had 72 sacks. Many still consider that defense the greatest one season performance by a defense ever. I'll never forget the 44-0 beating the Cowboys took that year. Danny White was turned into an old man that day.

The '86 Bears defense was even better than '85. The '85 defense might have the record, but the '86 defense was better across the board.