Sad State of Cowboys Fandom

Jumbo075

Reaction score
This is NOT an "I told you so thread." But the sad reality is that I'm not at all disappointed in the Cowboys season so far, because I've learned not to attach ANY emotions at all to whether they win or lose.

My fan relationship with the Cowboys has become very clinical. Like a doctor examining a patient, I try to make a correct diagnosis, and I DO hope for the best. But if the patient dies, I shrug, and move on. I don't have an emotional stake in the team's success or failure any more.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I think doctors care more than you seem to think.

I care too. I WANT the Cowboys to be better, just like a doctor wants his patient to be better. But, when the Doctor goes home at night, he puts his patients out of his mind, and concentrates on other people and things. I do the same with the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is NOT an "I told you so thread." But the sad reality is that I'm not at all disappointed in the Cowboys season so far, because I've learned not to attach ANY emotions at all to whether they win or lose.

My fan relationship with the Cowboys has become very clinical. Like a doctor examining a patient, I try to make a correct diagnosis, and I DO hope for the best. But if the patient dies, I shrug, and move on. I don't have an emotional stake in the team's success or failure any more.
And this is the proper attitude to take this generation especially with an owner who’s meddling is not doing everything within his power to win. It is a sad reality!

Reaction score
The word fan itself came about as a shortened form of the word fanatic, meaning “marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion.”

This is not you OP so not sure what relevance your post/opinion has on the topic

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The cowboys used to affect me a lot in my early years of fanhood. I thought those days were behind me. Yesterday I was mad all day. It did in fact ruin my day.

I need to reconsider this whole thing again.. maybe skip a few games. My wife knew to stay away from me and that's not ok.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The word fan itself came about as a shortened form of the word fanatic, meaning “marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion.”

This is not you OP so not sure what relevance your post/opinion has on the topic

Honestly, I thought about that, and wonder if I even qualify for the term "fan" anymore. If it helps, I am uncritical of the Cowboys, and not angry at Jones, Garrett, Dak, etc. But I do lack "excessive enthusiasm." That is a true statement. Also, I don't root for any other team.

But honestly, it's not just about the Cowboys. The game has changed. The NFL that I loved would have seen Roy Williams in the NFL Hall of Fame for the punisher he was, instead of the "Roy Williams rule" outlawing his aggressive style of play, and relegating a player who made 5 consecutive Pro Bowls to start his career into an afterthought. But the NFL has legislated the brutality (and masculinity) out of the game.

Excessive litigation is ruining a lot of things (see California blackout, where an Electrical Power company decided that NOT delivering electricity to homes costs less than the liability of delivering electricity - just stop and think about that. It's like McDonald's deciding to stop making hamburgers.). The lawyers have ruined Football, and many other things that made America a great place to be.

So it's not fair to just blame the Cowboys. It's about the NFL in general, not just Jerry and the gang.

Last edited:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
sports dont mean the same when you get older. fan used to come from fanatical but lets face it, we are more fanatical when we are younger.

us older people see the "product" not the team and thats what sports have become. dont be shocked, this is what the fans wanted. its easier when you are young.

now, its just a day, i get more excited if its not raining but any day is a good day and thats that.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
sports dont mean the same when you get older. fan used to come from fanatical but lets face it, we are more fanatical when we are younger.

us older people see the "product" not the team and thats what sports have become. dont be shocked, this is what the fans wanted. its easier when you are young.

now, its just a day, i get more excited if its not raining but any day is a good day and thats that.

I think there is some truth to that. You go through heart-rending life experiences, and the outcome of a spectator sports game seems trivial in comparison. But overall, I'm more happy with my life than ever. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore. And the results of Cowboys games is "small stuff."

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think there is some truth to that. You go through heart-rending life experiences, and the outcome of a spectator sports game seems trivial in comparison. But overall, I'm more happy with my life than ever. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore. And the results of Cowboys games is "small stuff."

exactly, i just feel you have come to that point. Kudos for all you brought to the board, but i think i see a lot of us waning in our fandom and looking at life a lot more.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score

You would make a junky doctor bro. No offense but ouch.

That was kinda harsh about the patient dieing

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
My personal analogy I think is more comparable to a battered wife. Just like the early days falling in love with the silver and blue, the wife has many memories of good times and excitement. After a life long commitment it gets very difficult to sever the emotional ties so I keep telling myself “this season will be different...they have changed.” Then six games into it, my team is free falling again with no end in sight. Each season finding new and embarrassing ways to be embarrassed.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
exactly, i just feel you have come to that point. Kudos for all you brought to the board, but i think i see a lot of us waning in our fandom and looking at life a lot more.

I don't want to get into any specific political discussions, but the world itself has become a very interesting place to live. Great conflagrations are a hair-trigger away in many parts of the world, not just our own nation, and no one really knows what the outcomes will be, or what the world will look life in 15 years. Think about the difference in how the world looked in 1929 vs. 1945. 2019 reminds me of 1929 - and the world is about to change a lot. That is the context that makes spectator sports seem even more trivial.

For a guy like me, who has always enjoyed reading and studying history, I feel like I'm living through history-in-the-making right now. Very interesting times. Reality has become more interesting than escapism.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

And then you don't understand the game of football no emotion. That's what this game is pure emotion. Why bother watching it