Safety at 58

Rayman70

Reaction score
I been doing my homework on Nasir Adderly ,Taylor Rapp and Darnell Savage. I have come to a conclusion that we MUST draft either Adderly at 58 or Savage. Rapp has good skills,but is a little all over the place with his coverage skills and his tackling is decent,but nothing like the other 2 dudes. If it boils down to Adderly or Savage, I am happy with either guy. Adderly for some reason just looks like a Cowboy and plays like the ball belongs to him. Very smooth in coverage for a safety,and can hit and wrap up. COMPLETE SAFETY. What do you guys think and with our recent additions, doesn't it look like the front office is also leaning towards safety at 58? Especially after we got Quinn?.Give me your thoughts.

The Realist

Reaction score
You better hope for Adderly to test positive for weed or get injured or else there is 0% chance he will be there. Rapp or Adderly,
or Adams be there. Savage, Thornhill, GJ good chance.

morasp

Reaction score
I prefer Thornhill, his CB background would allow them to play him in a number of ways in sub packages and if someone gets injured and he has the athleticism and instincts to play the single high spot. I think Abram is having dinner with Jerry so Richard may be looking for our Cam Chancellor.

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Abram and Hooker, personally.

I'm less interested in the ball hawks than the hitters. I'm looking to replace Heath, whose tackling was putrid at times. Woods is still young and deserves a chance to prove himself at FS.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I prefer Thornhill, his CB background would allow them to play him in a number of ways in sub packages and if someone gets injured and he has the athleticism and instincts to play the single high spot. I think Abram is having dinner with Jerry so Richard may be looking for our Cam Chancellor.
we don't need another jack of all trades. WE NEED A PURE SAFETY that does the job well. Abram is more of a violent hitter. Not sure I want him on my team because he will garner penaties. PASS. Give me Savage or Adderly.They are complete. They are ball hawking cover safeties. Its a pass happy league and they fit what we need.

Rayman70

Reaction score
to be clear,I was talking about Thornhill being a hybrid type that is versatile. We already went that route with Jones...so I rather we avoid that. Give me that dude that can get the ball.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Taylor Rapp in my opinion, its a day 3 guy. He would be a steal in round 5 or 6. At earliest, I see him going in the 3rd.

morasp

Reaction score
I like Abram and Hooker, personally.

I'm less interested in the ball hawks than the hitters. I'm looking to replace Heath, whose tackling was putrid at times. Woods is still young and deserves a chance to prove himself at FS.
I wouldn't mind either of those two.

morasp

Reaction score
Thornhill played in nine games as a reserve as a true freshman (two tackles), then became a starter as sophomore, leading the Cavs with three interceptions to go along with 45 tackles, three for loss, and seven pass breakups in 12 games (11 starts). He garnered third-team All-ACC honors in 2017, starting 12 games and posting 63 tackles, 4.5 for loss, four interceptions and 12 pass breakups. Thornhill saved his best for last, grabbing first-team all-conference accolades as a senior by leading Virginia in total tackles (98) and interceptions (six, which tied for third in the FBS) while also making 4.5 tackles for loss and breaking up seven passes.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/juan-thornhill?id=32195448-4f54-9495-af73-48eb17033beb

Flamma

Reaction score
You better hope for Adderly to test positive for weed or get injured or else there is 0% chance he will be there. Rapp or Adderly,
or Adams be there. Savage, Thornhill, GJ good chance.

Don't be so sure. The cool thing about this draft is that there is a log jam with DBs for the second round. One of them is bound to drop if just one team does the unexpected. I have a feeling one of those DBs will drop. If they do, snatch him. The question is will they drop to 58? Not likely.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Thornhill played in nine games as a reserve as a true freshman (two tackles), then became a starter as sophomore, leading the Cavs with three interceptions to go along with 45 tackles, three for loss, and seven pass breakups in 12 games (11 starts). He garnered third-team All-ACC honors in 2017, starting 12 games and posting 63 tackles, 4.5 for loss, four interceptions and 12 pass breakups. Thornhill saved his best for last, grabbing first-team all-conference accolades as a senior by leading Virginia in total tackles (98) and interceptions (six, which tied for third in the FBS) while also making 4.5 tackles for loss and breaking up seven passes.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/juan-thornhill?id=32195448-4f54-9495-af73-48eb17033beb
I think DAL looks at Juan as be one of the few SS they'd move Woods to SS for. Thornhill is on of my favorites in this draft with Adderly n Savage.

Looks like they just want to get the best S and then move Woods wherever. I think if DAL wants a SS they could get that in 3rd-4th if they miss out on Abram n Rapp.

Beaker42

Reaction score
to be clear,I was talking about Thornhill being a hybrid type that is versatile. We already went that route with Jones...so I rather we avoid that. Give me that dude that can get the ball.
To be fair to BJ, we misused him at S for a couple seasons because ONCE AGAIN OUR FO HAD IGNORED THE NEED.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There is a high probability that Rapp, Aderly, Thornhill, and Abram are not their at 58. I think Savage, Hooker and Gardner-Johnson will be there for our pick. Not a big fan of the Alabama guy. I still hope we go Dline with the first pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The media comparisons of Thornhill to Byron Jones are dumb. They are just doing that because of their Wow vert and broad jumps.

Thornhill is a better tackler and makes a lot of big hits.

Jones was listed as a CB in the draft and the general consensus was that he would be a CB in the NFL.

Thornhill is listed as a Safety and the general consensus is that he will be a Safety in the NFL.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think DAL looks at Juan as be one of the few SS they'd move Woods to SS for. Thornhill is on of my favorites in this draft with Adderly n Savage.

Looks like they just want to get the best S and then move Woods wherever. I think if DAL wants a SS they could get that in 3rd-4th if they miss out on Abram n Rapp.
you really think they would play Woods at SS? I'm thinking more that if they get players they consider upgrades that he becomes the primary nickel slot because we have traded & reshuffled the secondary.

Mr_437

Reaction score
you really think they would play Woods at SS? I'm thinking more that if they get players they consider upgrades that he becomes the primary nickel slot because we have traded & reshuffled the secondary.
That could be the case with a secondary reshuffle. I see these draftable FSs (Adderly, Thornhill) as much better Single High players than X, and they shouldn't pass up an upgrade at that important position. Also, I think would be ok at SS.

Honestly, Heath has displayed more range at SH, but I made that point to say if you put a rangy (anticipation, instincts, angles, quickness, speed) guy like Thornhill back there the defense goes up a notch. Don't get me wrong, I like X and he's competent at SH he's just a step slow imo.

Verdammung

Reaction score
You think Rapp might be available in the fifth?

I have no idea where Rapp is going. Media and Broaddus think he's a potential first rounder. I like him more as a 3rd rounder. He could potentially free fall after his pro day; I don't think you can ignore a 4.75 at a DB position.