Salary cap is poised to be as much as $243 million per team and maybe higher

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
so if/when that happens, we're UNDER the cap right!!!?
Not sure. The team must be under the cap when the new season officially starts in March. I think that’s when the new cap takes effect so they must be under the last years cap but I’m not sure. Maybe one of the cap gurus here know the answer.

Creeper

Reaction score
Every little bit helps, but whatever it is, it is the same for all 32 teams. Over-the-CAP estimates the CAP to be $242 million this year. A million or 2 more doesn't really help that much.

Creeper

Reaction score
That’s about $18 million more than last year. It keeps going up and up with all the new TV contracts.
That's about an 8% increase which is pretty close the the annual increases every year with the exception of the COVID year. That huge bump from the new TV contracts has not yet materialized.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every little bit helps, but whatever it is, it is the same for all 32 teams. Over-the-CAP estimates the CAP to be $242 million this year. A million or 2 more doesn't really help that much.
224 to 242+ is a 1-2 million increase???

Creeper

Reaction score
224 to 242+ is a 1-2 million increase???
No, $242 to $243 is $1 million. I was referring to the fact that Over-the-Cap is already using the estimate of $242 to calculate cap status for NFL teams. At that number they estimate Dallas is effectively $22 million over the CAP. So even if the CAP is $248 million the Cowboys are still $16 million over. It helps but in the scheme of things they still have a lot of work to do.

MarkP88

Reaction score
It won't matter, Cap Boy won't spend all of it anyway.
Oh, he'll spend it. But he's so unskilled in managing it that we'll still end up backed into a corner while our competitors find ways to add free agents even though they operate under the same cap we do.

12+88=7

Reaction score
2024 dead money Zeke 6 million. Tyron Smith 6 million.
2023 dead money Zeke 6 million. Collins 8 million.
2022 dead money Jaylon 7 million. Cooper 6 million. Collins 5 million.
2021 dead money Jaylon 10 million. Travis 6 million.

These are bills that come due. This is only dead money. This doesn't even count such insanity as

2021 cap hit D Flaw 25 million. Cooper 22 million.
2022 cap hit Zeke 18 million. Tyron Smith 18 million.
2023 cap hit D Flaw 17 million.

Trust me when I tell you that these numbers are not a good thing.
My point is the cap is fluid and you can manipulate the numbers that don't impede you on building a team.

Most recent examples are the LA Rams and New Orleans Saints. The Rams went all in and won a SB. They suffered the year after, but that was more because of injury than the cap. Last year they made the playoffs.

NO is the same. Every year they are the worst team with the cap, and every year they field a competitive team.

With all the dead money you noted Dallas was still able to win 12 games the last three years. Dallas needs to strike while the iron is hot. This means throwing caution to the wind and taking risk to get team over the hump.

conner01

Reaction score
they never help us out they just post stories with no help for the little guys. From what it looks like on google right now it's at 224.8 million, at the end of the story it says estimated around 250 million
That’s what I’ve seen. Around 250 million. Thank you Taylor Swift lol

phildadon86

Reaction score
We bring in FA every year. Some more than others. Kearse, Gilmore, Hankins, Fowler, hooker we’re all FA
Hankins, Gilmore were trades. Not FA.

Remind me again. Which of those you listed were signed in the first week?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
My point is the cap is fluid and you can manipulate the numbers that don't impede you on building a team.

Most recent examples are the LA Rams and New Orleans Saints. The Rams went all in and won a SB. They suffered the year after, but that was more because of injury than the cap. Last year they made the playoffs.

NO is the same. Every year they are the worst team with the cap, and every year they field a competitive team.

With all the dead money you noted Dallas was still able to win 12 games the last three years. Dallas needs to strike while the iron is hot. This means throwing caution to the wind and taking risk to get team over the hump.
I agree with everything that you are saying and I would also support going "all in". I just think it is important to understand that we have already been going "all in" to some degree for years now and there is always a price to pay in the future.

Yes we have been winning games even with the dead money but that is because we have even more dead money coming. Also imagine winning all these games and having all that extra dead money available.

How hot the iron is can be debated. I thought the iron was hot this year. I thought we had the perfect compliment of young and old. I thought guys like Lamb and Bland and Parsons and Ferguson were going to change the narrative. I could not have been any more wrong. They fell victim to the narrative harder than any group ever has. I simply do not believe that they will change the way they operate. Going "all in" on them seems foolish.

shabazz

Reaction score
And the players agents will demand MORE...

Some act like the increase will only benefit the teams ability to sign better free agents....it won't

It's all relative.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I agree with everything that you are saying and I would also support going "all in". I just think it is important to understand that we have already been going "all in" to some degree for years now and there is always a price to pay in the future.

How hot the iron is can be debated. I thought the iron was hot this year. I thought we had the perfect compliment of young and old. I thought guys like Lamb and Bland and Parsons and Ferguson were going to change the narrative. I could not have been any more wrong. They fell victim to the narrative harder than any group ever has. I simply do not believe that they will change the way they operate. Going "all in" on them seems foolish.
Yep, going 'All-In' would of been a distinct possibility, behind a season where we were competitive in the play-offs and behind a long term extension to Dak freeing up CAP via Signing Bonus.
The end of last season changed all that....you can't go 'All-In' with so many 'holes'.