Salary Cap post Draft- Updated

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think they make a big signing b4 the season whether it be a resign or FA?

They would like to sign Dak and Cooper which would free up the Franchise Tag for Byron Jones.

I think they would like more time to see Jones at CB before making the decision to give him a new contract.

If they don't get Dak signed, then I expect them to attempt to sign Jones this year.

In recent years they like to stay open to signing free agents even during the season if a good fit/bargain comes up like Sua-Filo last year.

ksg811

Reaction score
They would like to sign Dak and Cooper which would free up the Franchise Tag for Byron Jones.

I think they would like more time to see Jones at CB before making the decision to give him a new contract.

If they don't get Dak signed, then I expect them to attempt to sign Jones this year.

In recent years they like to stay open to signing free agents even during the season if a good fit/bargain comes up like Sua-Filo last year.

They'll have 2 tags next year. They'll be able to use both the franchise and transition tags since it's the last CBA year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They'll have 2 tags next year. They'll be able to use both the franchise and transition tags since it's the last CBA year.
If they get deals done this year they don't have to worry about that pesky 30% either that comes with the last year of the CBA

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

DLaw...............DONE
Zeke................signed thru 2020
JSmith ........... RFA in 2020

ACooper......... needs 5/80m
Dak.................needs 5/140m

BJones............Trans Tag
LCollins...........UFA
MCollins..........UFA

Verdict

Reaction score
It is for me.

Guess how many sacks Crawford has at RDE against starting tackles over the past two years? Rhymes with 'hero'.

He's nothing more than a grossly overpaid rotational lineman here. Those are vet minimum guys, not $10 million a year guys.

He has stuck around because he has position flex. But at what point does position flex help you if he can do neither very well?

If Crawford doesn’t clearly beat out the competition you move on because the young guys will get better over time.

mmohican29

Reaction score
A lot of players, not a ton of talent.

Lol @ not alot of talent.

You have bookend DE's who have both logged 15+ sacks in a single season. You have 2 Part Time DE's each with proven PR ability in Gregory and Hyder. Malik is a quality DT as is Woods. And Covington has played very well when he's seen burn.

There are few DL's in the NFL that can mix and match a Front 4 of this caliber- if ANY.

gmoney112

Reaction score
DLaw...............DONE
Zeke................signed thru 2020
JSmith ........... RFA in 2020

ACooper......... needs 5/80m
Dak.................needs 5/140m

BJones............Trans Tag
LCollins...........UFA
MCollins..........UFA

Rollover + cap increase looks like right now we'll have about $110million in space next year.

Jaylon might make things interesting. If he's a baller with no health issues, I'd probably just sign him long term instead of doing the 1st round tender and then negotiating for even more $$ a year later after giving him the tender guarantee.

Which looks like it wouldn't be hard with space anyway.

You could sign Dak, Cooper, Jaylon and tag Byron without making a single cut, and still have like $20+ million in space. Probably more like 30-40 with lower first year hits because of signing bonuses lowering first year salaries.

CapnB

Reaction score
We are loaded on the DL

DLaw..........MCollins...........AWoods............Quinn/RGregory*
Taco............THill.................Covington.........Armstrong
JJackson.....Wise.........................................JJelks

Having bodies and being loaded is different in my opinion. 6 dudes on that list aren't better than Crawford in my opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has stuck around because he has position flex. But at what point does position flex help you if he can do neither very well?

If Crawford doesn’t clearly beat out the competition you move on because the young guys will get better over time.

I think there have been a multitude of factors that have kept him around to this point.
  1. His contract. Until this year, it was cheaper to keep him than cut him.
  2. His attitude. He's a great team guy and a leader on the D-line.
  3. His selflessness. Whatever the team has asked if him, he's given it his all.
  4. His talent. He is a good football player.
But I feel that several things have changed and it's reached the point where roster space, cost, and having true starters at the positions mean that it's time to move on.

Jon Gruden loves veteran players. Trade him both Crawford and Taco for Karl Joseph.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I think they are keeping some money for a potential trade

No more big signings but they want to extend ACooper and Dak

Extending ACooper will save about 7m and extending Dak will cost about 7m

They will extend a few to get them to one big signing.
I'm thinking Cooper this year.
Dak in the off season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol @ not alot of talent.

You have bookend DE's who have both logged 15+ sacks in a single season. You have 2 Part Time DE's each with proven PR ability in Gregory and Hyder. Malik is a quality DT as is Woods. And Covington has played very well when he's seen burn.

There are few DL's in the NFL that can mix and match a Front 4 of this caliber- if ANY.

The truth lies somewhere between your take and mattjames.