Salary Cap space - Updated

ksg811

Reaction score
Depends on if the incentives are consider likely to be earned or not likely to be earned.

You are correct. The Cowboys made the playoffs last year, so the playoff bonus will count against the cap at LTBE incentive. Since he didn’t play last year, the performance incentives will not count.

Little Jr

Reaction score
You are correct. The Cowboys made the playoffs last year, so the playoff bonus will count against the cap at LTBE incentive. Since he didn’t play last year, the performance incentives will not count.
Since he didn't play the incentives will be likely not to be earned? Actually asking, not being a smart ***. Lol I was actually wondering how that would work. I thought I saw someone else say they could actually be considered likely to be earned because they would go off his 2017 season.

HungryLion

Reaction score
A healthy hurns here was terrible. A wr coming off a bad leg injury after a terrible season doesn't inspire confidence.

He was terrible as a #1 WR. As the 3rd or 4th receiver on the team? He would be fine for that role, if healthy.

I would prefer somebody with more speed. I would definitely prefer Beasley over Hurns.

But A healthy Hurns is a capable #3 or #4 receiver

StuckMojo

Reaction score
How does the cap hit work? I have never really studied up on it

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was terrible as a #1 WR. As the 3rd or 4th receiver on the team? He would be fine for that role, if healthy.

I would prefer somebody with more speed. I would definitely prefer Beasley over Hurns.

But A healthy Hurns is a capable #3 or #4 receiver

he has had 2 500+ yard seasons in his 5 year career. Those came as his first 2 seasons and he hasn't had more than 40 catches the last 3 years. How is that good? He was healthy last year here and caught a wopping 20 catches. Thats worth 6 million? FYI he only caught 7 passses the last 9 games and was getting 1 or fewer catches a game with coop here.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Since he didn't play the incentives will be likely not to be earned? Actually asking, not being a smart ***. Lol I was actually wondering how that would work. I thought I saw someone else say they could actually be considered likely to be earned because they would go off his 2017 season.
The CBA says an arbitrator would decide if the player retired like Witten did but it would only be an issue if Witten complained

LTBE count against the cap immediately and they get paid as the are reached
NLTBE count the following season and are paid at year end

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
How does the cap hit work? I have never really studied up on it
Every dollar a team pays a player must be accounted for on the Salary Cap

But some payments like Signing Bonuses and Restructures can be spread over 5 years

So if they give DLawrence a 30m Signing Bonus it would count for 6m a year for 5 years
His 10m base salary would count 100% in the year earned

That is why cap hits can be much lower than the contract looks like

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
My understanding is Hurns contract is not guaranteed. By picking up his option we are assured to at least have him as worst case scenario. If able to land a better option he can be released at any time.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
he has had 2 500+ yard seasons in his 5 year career. Those came as his first 2 seasons and he hasn't had more than 40 catches the last 3 years. How is that good? He was healthy last year here and caught a wopping 20 catches. Thats worth 6 million? FYI he only caught 7 passses the last 9 games and was getting 1 or fewer catches a game with coop here.

Did you miss the good for a #3 or #4 receiver part?
Did you miss the part where I said I hoped for better?

Little Jr

Reaction score
The CBA says an arbitrator would decide if the player retired like Witten did but it would only be an issue if Witten complained

LTBE count against the cap immediately and they get paid as the are reached
NLTBE count the following season and are paid at year end
Ok. I know how each counted and when. Just didnt know how they are determined after coming off a year not played.

Quick question, how are they determined period?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Ok. I know how each counted and when. Just didnt know how they are determined after coming off a year not played.

Quick question, how are they determined period?
For example if Witten gets 100k per game incentive then you have to go back to last year

If he played 10 games then the League would say "it is likely that Witten plays 10games so 10x 100k = 1m cap charge this season"..... the other 6 games would be added to the next season's cap if he hit those incentives

Since Witten played 0 games last year it likely that he plays 0 games this year so his 2.5m in per game incentives would hit next year..... his cap hit is just his base salary of 2m

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

And Cole has 3 500 yard seasons out of 7, isn’t nearly the downfield threat Hurns is, even at his limited production last year, is younger and cheaper.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
My understanding is Hurns contract is not guaranteed. By picking up his option we are assured to at least have him as worst case scenario. If able to land a better option he can be released at any time.

And it’s 4 mil. Base.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
20+ yard receptions in 2018

Hurns 6
Cole 3

40+ yard receptions

Hurns 1
Cole 0

TD receptions

Hurns 2
Cole 3

Percentage of catches that went for a first down

Hurns 55%
Cole 60%

Cowfan75

Reaction score
It makes zero sense other than being nice to the guy who broke his ankle. That is a bit much to pay for slot WR insurance.

Yup. I love hearing talk about how Hurns will easily take over for Cole because...well, he played really well for Jacksonville. Of course, all he's done here thus far is suffer a horrific injury, but he'll be fine and come back probably even better!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And Cole has 3 500 yard seasons out of 7, isn’t nearly the downfield threat Hurns is, even at his limited production last year, is younger and cheaper.

and cole isn't under contract. But cole was the #2 wr with seperation at the time of target. But my argument isn't hurns vs cole, its that hurns hasn't been good for 3 years and people expect him to suddenly do better? Better hope moore can turn water to wine.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did you miss the good for a #3 or #4 receiver part?
Did you miss the part where I said I hoped for better?

What do you think he was last year? When coop came here he certainly dropped to a #3