Twitter: Salary Cap update

Rayman70

Reaction score
PersonalSlowGalapagostortoise-size_restricted.gif
Howie Roseman

CWR

Reaction score
18 million under and we still have moves available. Some of yall need to stop with the narrative we cant build a team after paying Dak. It's just wrong.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If we restructure amari and Lawrence how much more can we free up ?
Lawrence has a 2021 cap hit of $25M, $17M of which is base salary and is guaranteed. So there's room.

However, he still has $19M in prorated bonus money ($8M in 2022 & 2023, $3M in 2024), so any "restructure bonus" gets added on to that and negatively impacts any cut, retirement, trade moves before the end of his deal.

So let's say you gave him a $12M restructure bonus. That would change his 2021 cap # from $25M to $16M ($5M base salary, $8M previous prorated bonus, $3M prorated restructure bonus).

Good news, frees up $9M of immediate cap room for the 2021 season.
Bad news, that $19M remaining in prorated bonus money now becomes $28M.

This is why they refer to restructuring as kicking the can down the road.

Cooper's contract was designed with a restructure in mind. The fact that they haven't done it yet makes me think there are three possible reasons:
  1. They are saving the "move" for a splashy move if one presents itself.
  2. They have already decided to move on from him after this season. This time next year, if he's still on the roster, another $20M in guarantees kicks in.
  3. They haven't decided yet if they want to keep Cooper or earmark that money for re-signing Gallup. As stated in #2, they have some time.

I still think they restructure now because that's Jerry's style.

Cooper's 2021 cap hit is $22M, $20M is fully guaranteed.

Extremely easy to convert most of his $20M base to a restructure bonus (since it's guaranteed anyway). They could give him an $16M restructure bonus, reducing his 2021 cap # to $10M ($4M base salary, $2M previous prorated bonus, $4M prorated restructure bonus). This would free up another $12M in immediate cap room.

The #'s can easily vary, all depending on how much the team wants to pay now versus pay later. In those two examples I provided, the Cowboys can free up another $21M with just Cooper and Tank. For Jerry and the Cowboys, they get immediate cap room and aren't paying a single dollar more than they would have since both Cooper and Tank have guaranteed salaries for 2021.

The player does it because they get a huge chunk of that guaranteed money right now versus it being divided over 17 weeks from September til January. Any finance expert and/or money manager will tell you the power of money now (compounding interest) versus money later. Also, if the player has realistic desires of winning a championship, they understand the restructure philosophy allows their team to add talent to the roster.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Cowboys have cap space to sign one pretty good player in the 8-10 million range, perhaps a tier 3 player, re-sign a couple role players, and ink their draft class. Other restructures get them more space.

I just hope we're not freeing up space to re-sign Xavier Woods and Tyrone Crawford, lol. Would this board burn up if we re-sign Woods to a 4 year 32 million contract and Crawford to a 2 year 10 million deal? Lol

In all seriousness, there's a couple corners around 30 that are intriguing that could be in that 8 to 10 million range as stop gaps. I can't imagine safeties like Neal and Hooker commanding big contracts and would consider flyers there despite some injuries. We should also find a way to address DT, and KJ Wright is an intriguing option. Cowboys need to find another LB anyway.

Carson

Reaction score
Cowboys have cap space to sign one pretty good player in the 8-10 million range, perhaps a tier 3 player, re-sign a couple role players, and ink their draft class. Other restructures get them more space.

I just hope we're not freeing up space to re-sign Xavier Woods and Tyrone Crawford, lol. Would this board burn up if we re-sign Woods to a 4 year 32 million contract and Crawford to a 2 year 10 million deal? Lol

In all seriousness, there's a couple corners around 30 that are intriguing that could be in that 8 to 10 million range as stop gaps. I can't imagine safeties like Neal and Hooker commanding big contracts and would consider flyers there despite some injuries. We should also find a way to address DT, and KJ Wright is an intriguing option. Cowboys need to find another LB anyway.

I sign Malcolm Brown, Desmond King and Casey Heyward. Draft LB

Shouldn’t cost more than 12-15 for all of them

Rayman70

Reaction score

Stephen Jones and McClay should be flogged publicly at the STAR on pay per view if they did this.
tenor.gif

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lawrence has a 2021 cap hit of $25M, $17M of which is base salary and is guaranteed. So there's room.

However, he still has $19M in prorated bonus money ($8M in 2022 & 2023, $3M in 2024), so any "restructure bonus" gets added on to that and negatively impacts any cut, retirement, trade moves before the end of his deal.

So let's say you gave him a $12M restructure bonus. That would change his 2021 cap # from $25M to $16M ($5M base salary, $8M previous prorated bonus, $3M prorated restructure bonus).

Cooper's contract was designed with a restructure in mind. The fact that they haven't done it yet makes me think there are three possible reasons:
  2. They have already decided to move on from him after this season. This time next year, if he's still on the roster, another $20M in guarantees kicks in.
  3. They haven't decided yet if they want to keep Cooper or earmark that money for re-signing Gallup. As stated in #2, they have some time.

Extremely easy to convert most of his $20M base to a restructure bonus (since it's guaranteed anyway). They could give him an $16M restructure bonus, reducing his 2021 cap # to $10M ($4M base salary, $2M previous prorated bonus, $4M prorated restructure bonus). This would free up another $12M in immediate cap room.

The #'s can easily vary, all depending on how much the team wants to pay now versus pay later. In those two examples I provided, the Cowboys can free up another $21M with just Cooper and Tank. For Jerry and the Cowboys, they get immediate cap room and aren't paying a single dollar more than they would have since both Cooper and Tank have guaranteed salaries for 2021.

The player does it because they get a huge chunk of that guaranteed money right now versus it being divided over 17 weeks from September til January. Any finance expert and/or money manager will tell you the power of money now (compounding interest) versus money later. Also, if the player has realistic desires of winning a championship, they understand the restructure philosophy allows their team to add talent to the roster.

Great point. Restructuring Cooper now also removes the "out" Dallas would get after the 2021 season. Coop's 5 year, $100 million deal last year was essentially a two year, $40 million deal with three team options added on. I could be wrong, but re-working his contract now may make the full five years guaranteed.

LittleD

Reaction score
1) FAs should be trying to get to Indy, for sure.

2) WFT tagged their OG, so they're even with DAL around $18M.

3) I think JAX is spend big like always and ride the Lawrence/Urban hype...they should collect a FA haul.

4) Nobody want to play for NE anymore lol.

5) Dallas has some work to do, but I think $18M is enough in this Market.

Guess what? no one good wants to play in Dallas anymore either. We ain't making the playoffs.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Awesome post and thanks.

However I think the Jerry "style" will be more like the usual....a combination of several philosophies which they think is so effective but leave us nowhere....

Do enough to contend but leave us short.

Then try to plug that hole next offseason.

Rinse, repeat.

The kid treats "going for it" as if it comes directly out of his allowance.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

what if during the draft a really good wr falls to them at pick 10 could they trade him and free up cap space