Sam Darnold vs Josh Allen

Flamma

Reaction score
Jones was gaining traction and most likely would not have lasted til 30. Or even 17.

Since he's been well worth his draft slot, I'm afraid I'm not getting your line of thinking.

That's my point of contention. I don't care how good he is, I think he would have been there late in the first round. If that's true, then it was a terrible pick. There were quarterbacks ahead of him that went later than that. His draft profile had him as a day 2 QB. Whether or not he was gaining traction is all rumor. We'll never know the truth now.

That said, the love for Jones is a bit baffling. Reminds me of the Mitch Trubisky pick. Where does it come from? Did a scout recently visit the Oracle at Delphi? Who cares if someone picked Jones anyway? I'd much rather have Allen, Lawrence, and the best QB that we know was there late in the first round than what they actually got with their first 3 picks.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's my point of contention. I don't care how good he is, I think he would have been there late in the first round. If that's true, then it was a terrible pick. There were quarterbacks ahead of him that went later than that. His draft profile had him as a day 2 QB. Whether or not he was gaining traction is all rumor. We'll never know the truth now.

That said, the love for Jones is a bit baffling. Reminds me of the Mitch Trubisky pick. Where does it come from? Did a scout recently visit the Oracle at Delphi? Who cares if someone picked Jones anyway? I'd much rather have Allen, Lawrence, and the best QB that we know was there late in the first round than what they actually got with their first 3 picks.
I'm going to have disagree w/ pretty much everything.

The QB position is by far the most valuable, so much so that if you don't have a decent one, you have nothing.

I have a scouting report from pre-combine. Jones is listed as the 2nd rated prospect, and in the mock, the have Jones going to WASH at 15. Which means he wouldn't have been there.

Honestly, I don't know where you got the info from that he wasn't highly regarded.

The love for Jones: "A notorious film room junkie, Jones has watched countless hours of QB's, past and present, in addition to studying his opponents, which shows up in the way he progresses through reads."

Why don't you think he was a good prospect?

Flamma

Reaction score
I just don't think he had a hell of a lot more promise coming out than Drew Lock. Lock is a bit more raw, but not to the point I'd give up one of the best edge rushers in the draft to take Jones instead. I'm not the only one with this opinion. Don't forget I live in Giants country.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
My Giants could have had both. We skipped
I thought I'd ask what you thought of Jones? I do think he has talent -- he looked so good at first -- but I don't know if he got thrown in the deep end too soon and it will take him time to recover from those scars.

He might still be pretty good though. Too bad your OC won't do him any favors.

kskboys

Reaction score
I just don't think he had a hell of a lot more promise coming out than Drew Lock. Lock is a bit more raw, but not to the point I'd give up one of the best edge rushers in the draft to take Jones instead. I'm not the only one with this opinion. Don't forget I live in Giants country.
Oh, Josh Allen DE was a better prospect than Jones, of that there is no doubt. However, once again, you are going nowhere w/o a QB. Jones was a good prospect. He would most likely have not been there for their next pick. So, I don't blame them.

If you're just saying Allen DE over Daniel Jones, I can see that. What I take issue w/ is claiming he would've been there for a later pick. Most likely not.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you're just saying Allen DE over Daniel Jones, I can see that. What I take issue w/ is claiming he would've been there for a later pick. Most likely not.

Well yes, that was my claim the entire time. Allen the DE, DT Lawrence, then Jones. I think he would have been there late in the 1st, but let's say he wasn't. Drew Lock was there. I forget who else. Either way, I think picking Allen, Lawrence, and one of the QBs would have been the better route. Or even Allen first then bypass Lawrence if Jones is still on the board and take him then.

Shunpike

Reaction score
I thought I'd ask what you thought of Jones? I do think he has talent -- he looked so good at first -- but I don't know if he got thrown in the deep end too soon and it will take him time to recover from those scars.

He might still be pretty good though. Too bad your OC won't do him any favors.
I wanted Giants to draft Darnold and still crying about it. Jones surprised me in a good way. I liked what I saw from him. And if he keeps his development he might make me forget about Darnold for sure. About Garrett, I think he will help Jones tremendously. I am very happy that he is our OC. I might regret saying this later but for now I have hope. :)

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The short answer is, I have no idea. The longer answer:

It's hard to tell with Darnold because he plays in such a bad situation with such a toxic coach. Look at what Tannehill did after he escaped Gase, for example. Darnold has a bottom 3 receiving corps, a bottom 3 OL, Le'Veon Bell cranking out 3.2 YPC, and a HC who keeps a doghouse the size of the Waldorf-Astoria. No one could succeed in that situation, and Darnold's already looking kind of shot. Does he have the talent to overcome it? Did he never really have the talent in the first place? Could he had developed by now on a better team? There's so many confounding variables with him.

Allen is benefiting from the Bills quickly building a quality team around him; he's had an average offense with an excellent defense. Supporting cast isn't really an excuse for him; he's got enough to win with. He's shown a lot more ability so far than I thought he would, but his accuracy and ability to deal with pressure are starting to become roadblocks holding the entire Bills team back.

QBs usually show a lot of growth in years 3 and 4, so if Allen's going to start putting it together, now is the time. He's in the driver's seat of an 11-5 team and a suddenly Brady-less AFC East. I don't think it's crazy that the Bills could make a 5th Super Bowl if he develops quickly, but he could just as easily stall out. It's going to be fascinating to see what his year 3 looks like.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well yes, that was my claim the entire time. Allen the DE, DT Lawrence, then Jones. I think he would have been there late in the 1st, but let's say he wasn't. Drew Lock was there. I forget who else. Either way, I think picking Allen, Lawrence, and one of the QBs would have been the better route. Or even Allen first then bypass Lawrence if Jones is still on the board and take him then.
I personally would not have passed up Allen for Daniel Jones.