Sam Hurd 40 time

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander said:
It just goes to show you how overrated 40 times are and how much even professional scouts obsess over it. As if yet another example needed to be made.

what did irvin run, any idea?

Bizwah

Reaction score
iceberg said:

Most people will say 4.6 or 4.7.....but Landry was interviewed about Irvin when he drafted him and he said that Irvin ran a 4.5 for them and, "that's really moving for a guy that's Irvin's size."

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
It just goes to show you how overrated 40 times are and how much even professional scouts obsess over it. As if yet another example needed to be made.
Sam Hurd (a guy chances are none of us have seen play live football) is not an example of that. Guys like Boldin are however...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
iceberg said:

I know it was slower than Alexander Wright's 40 time.

A lot of good that speed did us.

That was also a knock on Jimmy Smith. He wasn't a blazer.

Outside of Cliff Branch and a few others, there are few sprinters who did well overall. If your idea of a good WR is to have your WR run in a straight line, by all means, obsess about the 40 times.

That goes for pretty much every position on the field. It is a horribly overused measurement.

Alexander

Reaction score
cowboy4eva said:
Sam Hurd (a guy chances are none of us have seen play live football) is not an example of that. Guys like Boldin are however...

Why is it different because more people saw Boldin play?

I don't remember much of an outcry about it when Boldin ran a slow time. In fact, I have friends who are ardent Florida State fans who were not shocked and agreed that he might have been overrated and even downplayed him because they thought he was a product of the Bowden system.

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
Why is it different because more people saw Boldin play?
LOL... It's different because Anquan Boldin is a top 10 WR in the league easily... How can anyone say Hurd helps prove anything when he hasn't proved he can make an NFL roster yet...?

Alexander

Reaction score
cowboy4eva said:
LOL... It's different because Anquan Boldin is a top 10 WR in the league easily... How can anyone say Hurd helps prove anything when he hasn't proved he can make an NFL roster yet...?

I guarantee you he has this team made.

The fact still remains. The clueless often look at statistics and measureables when making up their minds whether a player can play.

It happens all the time. Even to the professionals.

ghst187

Reaction score
cowboy4eva said:

Hurd COULD be proving once again that a good 40 time isn't a requisite for being a good WR. You're right in that he hasn't even made the roster yet, but he was pretty impressive in college and is having some success against a pretty good NFL secondary in training camp, that's all we have to go on for now.
I don't think Crayton was a blazer either. His time anyone?
He has proven that he can play in this league.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I know it was slower than Alexander Wright's 40 time.

A lot of good that speed did us.

That was also a knock on Jimmy Smith. He wasn't a blazer.

Outside of Cliff Branch and a few others, there are few sprinters who did well overall. If your idea of a good WR is to have your WR run in a straight line, by all means, obsess about the 40 times.

That goes for pretty much every position on the field. It is a horribly overused measurement.

oh no - my point was to defend the time. if he can get open and knows how to use his body, the 40 time becomes less of an issue. i doubt you'd see him "go deep" very often but irvin really didn't either.

and it just didn't matter.

now i'm not here to compare the two players and say wow, we got another irvin, i'm just saying that the 40 time doesn't matter if he can work to become complete player with what he *can* do.

Alexander

Reaction score
iceberg said:
oh no - my point was to defend the time. if he can get open and knows how to use his body, the 40 time becomes less of an issue. i doubt you'd see him "go deep" very often but irvin really didn't either.

He could sneak and get deep. He had enough speed and he still had it until his career ended.

now i'm not here to compare the two players and say wow, we got another irvin, i'm just saying that the 40 time doesn't matter if he can work to become complete player with what he *can* do.

You are right. The 40 time he ran in college doesn't matter. WR is a position that is more than speed. Yet people STILL go on and on about it.

Jerry Rice wasn't fast. Michael Irvin wasn't fast. Art Monk wasn't fast. Steve Largent wasn't fast. Charlie Joiner wasn't fast.

I don't understand why it is so hard for people to understand.

Silverstar

Reaction score
You got me curious now...does anybody know what Miles Austin's 40 time was?

Wasn't he the highest paid UDFA this year?

YoungBuck

Reaction score
Silverstar said:
You got me curious now...does anybody know what Miles Austin's 40 time was?

Wasn't he the highest paid UDFA this year?

Miles Austin:

Campus: 4.6 in the 40-yard dash...357-pound bench press...518-pound squat...315-pound power clean...34-inch vertical jump...31 1/4-inch arm length...10 1/8-inch hands...Right-handed...24/32 Wonderlic score.

Combine: 4.51-second 40-yard dash. ... 40 1/2-inch vertical jump. ... 10'03" broad jump. ... Bench-pressed 225 pounds 21 times.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
40 yard dash didn't appear to be overrated in Kai Parham's case.

People love to throw out the 5% of the time the player played above his 40 time like Jerry Rice, but no one remembers the 95% of the time that a WR who ran a 4.7-4.8 was indeed too slow for the NFL and didn't make it past the first round of cuts.

Reaction score
Rack said:
People still just don't understand how overated 40 times are.

We won 3 superbowls with a 4.6 WR as our "Playmaker" and a 4.7 RB that ended up being the all-time leading rusher.

Emmitt was 4.5 guy, and BTW you can coach up and train speed.

See Parham and impact on his career with 5.1 speed.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
RockyMountainFan said:
Emmitt was 4.5 guy, and BTW you can coach up and train speed.

See Parham and impact on his career with 5.1 speed.

Emmitt ran his time arond 4.7

Link

speedkilz88

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
40 yard dash didn't appear to be overrated in Kai Parham's case.

People love to throw out the 5% of the time the player played above his 40 time like Jerry Rice, but no one remembers the 95% of the time that a WR who ran a 4.7-4.8 was indeed too slow for the NFL and didn't make it past the first round of cuts.
And that some of those 40 times were just bad days or due to the surface. Gil Brandt earlier this year had an article where he said that Jerry Rice ran a 4.4 for them. I've also heard reports that Bolden was still not healthy when he ran and that when healthy he ran a 4.45