Sam Hurd 40 time

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
40 yard dash didn't appear to be overrated in Kai Parham's case.

People love to throw out the 5% of the time the player played above his 40 time like Jerry Rice, but no one remembers the 95% of the time that a WR who ran a 4.7-4.8 was indeed too slow for the NFL and didn't make it past the first round of cuts.
Hey Roshi, was it you who said Boldin's 40 time was misleading. That his slow time was attributed to him coming off a knee injury. Real time may be closer to 4.4...or was it Yakuza Rich.

Not sure who actually posted it. Just thought I'd throw that I there.

Anywho, Hurd sounds like another Crayton or a very young Key (since he likes blocking). Not a bad thing to have, but hopefully next year they go after a blazer...a young Terry Glenn.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You will all rue the day you doubted Sam Hurd.

No, keep your comments private. I shall listen to your drivel no longer.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Hiero said:
was about to add that. 40 time is not everything, lots of good players have ran slow 40's. jerry rice also comes to mind
Steve Largent probably ran a 5.0. :lmao:

Alexander

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
Steve Largent probably ran a 5.0. :lmao:

I don't doubt he did.

WR is one position where it has been demonstrated that those who fell below the supposed measurements were still successful.

That alone should be a subtle clue that there is more of a mental side to the position, and one that hard work and attention to detail can compensate for and perhaps shave off the .5 tenths of a second that is so important to some people.

But that doesn't matter, I suppose.

If you run a 4.4 in Madden, you get a 90. If you run a 4.6, you get 80.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Alexander said:
It doesn't?

I can guarantee you that many people get excited over undrafted free agents who can run sub-4.5s. And those players are competing for fourth WR spots for the most part.

We had plenty of Dallas fans claiming for years that Randal Williams was the next big thing because he could run fast.
It was more than just Randall's speed. The guy had prototype possession receiver size and was one of the fastest guys in the league - he had an amazing combination of size and speed. Unfortunately, he couldn't run a pattern to save his life.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't doubt he did.

WR is one position where it has been demonstrated that those who fell below the supposed measurements were still successful.

That alone should be a subtle clue that there is more of a mental side to the position, and one that hard work and attention to detail can compensate for and perhaps shave off the .5 tenths of a second that is so important to some people.

But that doesn't matter, I suppose.

If you run a 4.4 in Madden, you get a 90. If you run a 4.6, you get 80.
Although he wasn't a receiver, Bernie Kosar is a great example of the type of player you are talking about. Kosar didn't have a strong arm, looked awkward when he tried to scramble, and threw the ugliest ball I had ever seen. He was also a very successful quarterback in the NFL.

Alexander

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
It was more than just Randall's speed. The guy had prototype possession receiver size and was one of the fastest guys in the league - he had an amazing combination of size and speed. Unfortunately, he couldn't run a pattern to save his life.

And last I checked, the main prerequisite for playing WR is to A) run the right route and B) catch the ball.

It had nothing to do with running fast or being bigger. Certainly, that helps.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Hey Roshi, was it you who said Boldin's 40 time was misleading. That his slow time was attributed to him coming off a knee injury. Real time may be closer to 4.4...or was it Yakuza Rich.

Not sure who actually posted it. Just thought I'd throw that I there.

Anywho, Hurd sounds like another Crayton or a very young Key (since he likes blocking). Not a bad thing to have, but hopefully next year they go after a blazer...a young Terry Glenn.

It wasn't me, but it was widely known that the reason Boldin ran a 4.8 is because he hadn't completely healed from a blown-out knee.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I guarantee you he has this team made.

The fact still remains. The clueless often look at statistics and measureables when making up their minds whether a player can play.

It happens all the time. Even to the professionals.

Exactly... there should be no doubt that Hurd makes this team... he is a lock...

Personally I think stats are interesting. It's cool to see a 4.3 40 time, but I am more interested in whether or not he can catch the ball and play this game...

Can he play? If so, sign him... case closed...

YoungBuck

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Exactly... there should be no doubt that Hurd makes this team... he is a lock...

Personally I think stats are interesting. It's cool to see a 4.3 40 time, but I am more interested in whether or not he can catch the ball and play this game...

Can he play? If so, sign him... case closed...

I highly doubt he's a lock. Is he going to take the spot of our 4th round pick who's supposted to return kicks, or the spot of one of the best ST gunners in the NFL?

I think there's still a lot of camp before we proclaim him a lock.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
When Ditka was with the Saints he thought he outsmart the entire scouting community and take high college production guys like Danny Wuerffel and Troy Davis way before they should have gone in the draft and it was a complete disaster.

Speed isn't AS important for a possession WR who has other skills like body control and ball skills (Boldin and Keyshawn) Its perfectly okay to have one or two of those guys on your roster, but you don't want an entire team of 4.7 guys. You need at least the threat of speed that an opposing defense has to respect. The reason the 4.3 guys get drafted ahead of the 4.7 guys is because God doesn't make as many of them.

Silverstar

Reaction score
youngbuck said:
Miles Austin:

Campus: 4.6 in the 40-yard dash...357-pound bench press...518-pound squat...315-pound power clean...34-inch vertical jump...31 1/4-inch arm length...10 1/8-inch hands...Right-handed...24/32 Wonderlic score.

Combine: 4.51-second 40-yard dash. ... 40 1/2-inch vertical jump. ... 10'03" broad jump. ... Bench-pressed 225 pounds 21 times.

Thanks for the info. :bow:

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
3 weeks ago did everyone even know Sam Hurd's name? Now he's a lock??

As I said before I think he'll make it, but lock? I'm still trying to find out how many BP will carry and which guy does not make it. Is it a guy like Copper who is a pretty good ST guy? Green our 4th rounder has to have some sort of advantage being that pick and being the #1 PR right now on the depth chart.

trickblue

Reaction score
youngbuck said:
I highly doubt he's a lock. Is he going to take the spot of our 4th round pick who's supposted to return kicks, or the spot of one of the best ST gunners in the NFL?

I think there's still a lot of camp before we proclaim him a lock.
First of all... Green is gonna make this team because of draft status alone... so that is a non issue...

My "lock" comment is imbedded in the fact that not only does Parcells mention him often, TO works with him and thinks he has a little bit of something...

Couple that with the fact that Parcells said in the PC today that NIU has recently produced good pros and the coaching staff is excellent there... I go out on the limb that he is a lock...

If you read around, I am not much a of a prediction guy outside of who I think we draft... but I think Hurd sticks...

You are entitled to your opinion... as am I... no harm done...

trickblue

Reaction score
cowboy4eva said:
3 weeks ago did everyone even know Sam Hurd's name? Now he's a lock??

As I said before I think he'll make it, but lock? I'm still trying to find out how many BP will carry and which guy does not make it. Is it a guy like Copper who is a pretty good ST guy? Green our 4th rounder has to have some sort of advantage being that pick and being the #1 PR right now on the depth chart.
I'll answer your question since you singled my quote out...

Green makes this team... as does Hurd... IMHO...

Copper has to do something better, ALOT better to make the cut...

To answer your question... yes... I knew who Sam Hurd was/is... as I knew who Turner the Burner was/is... I have been following the draft since the 70's... and yes... I am an old fart...

Anyone who follows college fb knows that NIU churns out nice players...

We should have drafter Turner, but we didn't... we do have Hurd and he can play in this league...

I stand by my statement the Hurd is a lock to make this team...

If I am wrong, well, I am wrong... feel free to come back and nail me...

It's not like I am saying Charles Manson will be paroled and play nickel back for us...

I swear to God that sometimes people take things so personal around here that it makes me want to slap Yeager around...

Now, Yeager DOES deserve a good slapping around, but for many other infractions... mainly just being himself...

31smackdown

Reaction score
If Hurd keeps performing and improving like he has in the last week.. he definitely makes this team. I think Copper makes it too though, because of his speed and ST.

Glenn, TO, Crayton, Copper, Hurd

Hurd just keeps showing up, runs good, smooth routes and has good ball skills from what I've seen. He's not as big muscled as some of the other guys, but he is solid.

http://img77.*************/img77/1791/p1010056tp7.jpg

YoungBuck

Reaction score
trickblue said:
First of all... Green is gonna make this team because of draft status alone... so that is a non issue...

My "lock" comment is imbedded in the fact that not only does Parcells mention him often, TO works with him and thinks he has a little bit of something...

Couple that with the fact that Parcells said in the PC today that NIU has recently produced good pros and the coaching staff is excellent there... I go out on the limb that he is a lock...

If you read around, I am not much a of a prediction guy outside of who I think we draft... but I think Hurd sticks...

You are entitled to your opinion... as am I... no harm done...

I didn't really have an opinion, I just asked who you thought didn't make it.

I highly doubt we carry 6 wrs, so I was trying to figure out who you thought wasn't going to make it.

Every year it seems copper won't make it, and every year parcells shows he loves the ST guys and keeps him.

trickblue

Reaction score
youngbuck said:
I didn't really have an opinion, I just asked who you thought didn't make it.

I highly doubt we carry 6 wrs, so I was trying to figure out who you thought wasn't going to make it.

Every year it seems copper won't make it, and every year parcells shows he loves the ST guys and keeps him.
I wasn't indicting you at all... I was just justifying my opinion...

I am a former WR, so I have my prejudices... I certainly understand the psyche...

Copper DOES make this team every year... Parcells likes him... Parcells also likes Key and he is gone...

My point is that this roster may still take shape about a week before the season... and it will be subject to changes all year long...

Manster68

Reaction score
Alexander said:
It doesn't?

I can guarantee you that many people get excited over undrafted free agents who can run sub-4.5s. And those players are competing for fourth WR spots for the most part.

We had plenty of Dallas fans claiming for years that Randal Williams was the next big thing because he could run fast.

Yeah, alexander, you can criticize Randal Williams.

However, with him being an undrafted free agent, meaning he came to Dallas cheap, he was worth having for even that one special play he made on the opening kickoff against Philly in 2003.

To me, that is still the sweetest play of the decade for the Cowboys so far.

He will always have a special place in my Cowboys folklore.