Sam Williams is putting in the work

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Dude is a physical freak. Nearly as naturally gifted as Micah even.

He simply has not yet shown the ability to grasp how to play the position in the NFL.

Hopefully in year 3 the lightbulb comes on because this guy has got everything else he needs to absolutely blow up.
Really just needs more playing time but we love to play jags over someone who could possibly put up big numbers

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m glad DQ is gone when it comes to Sam. Zimm will have him play with more discipline. This dude should have been starting.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sam has been a good DE and ST guy. If you bag on Sam for disregarding the run you better bag on Micah and the entire DL. He's not an elite rusher but not everyone is, still a good DE with limited opportunities.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sam Williams has been somewhat of a disappointment. He shows some flashes but disappears. He commits a lot of penalties and has had off the field issues. He reminds me of Randy Gregory. This could be a make or break season for him. If he doesn’t step up he won’t see a second contract.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the off season “he is in the best shape of his career“ announcements. The correlation to actually success is not there. Williams has great physical ability. His problem is between the ears.

1942willys

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the off season “he is in the best shape of his career“ announcements. The correlation to actually success is not there. Williams has great physical ability. His problem is between the ears.
Exactly. Frankly I could care less about how hard a player works if it does not show up on the field

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His upper body strength needed improvement to help him get off blocks as he did struggle to disengage if he did not win off his first move.

At the same time, getting run over on the edge was a greater issue IMO and he looks relatively chicken legged with no bubble.

Not impressed with the hype at all.

Motorola

Reaction score
I’m glad DQ is gone when it comes to Sam. Zimm will have him play with more discipline. This dude should have been starting.
Besides the change of philosophy and scheme that will take place...
expect Zimmer to check Williams every time he deviates from the plan.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dude’s talent physically is beast level when I saw him play. His brain and “discipline”, like you said, needs major work.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't argue that. Just the comment about the shape he's in. He has done well in short usage, but was never trusted for more and he's had a couple of dumb penalties he needs to stop.
I would not be surprised if he had a great season and we all will be sitting here wondering why he has not been playing more.
A couple of additional issues:

1: Quinn liked to have more players in the DL rotation than normal.
- With Marinelli they normally had 8 DL active.
- With Quinn they sometimes had 11 DL active.

2: Quinn is a player's coach.
- I think he basically promised playing time to veterans like Armstrong and Fowler.

Side Note:
- Mike Zimmer could have a big impact on some players.
- Especially young players like Sam Williams.
- The defense lacked discipline in the playoff loss.
- Zimmer is a known hard-arse.
- The Zimmer/Parsons relationship is going to be interesting.
-

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I find it funny when I hear that a player is “putting in the work” because it implies that up until now, the player has not been putting in the work. Why would any NFL team want a player that does not put in the work every year on the team?
I agree. I would expect the very best athletes in the world getting paid to play in the NFL all would put in the work every day of every year that they are active.