Same Question Differnt Spin

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
OK now we've had the debate of which trio is better Colts trio(harrison Manning James) or the Cowboys trio of the 90's(Irvin Aikman Smith)

No same question differnt spin

Whihc trio is better as far as skill discounting the SB wins,

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
When the Colt's trio wins SOMETHING, maybe we can revisit the question. :D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Notcie how i said SKILL, disounting the SB,

I dunno but part of my "skill" set, is winning.

That's kinda what I had in mind.

Here's my analogy. I am a New Yorker (please hold your applause) I have watched Derek Jeter since he came up to the majors. Everyone blabbed on and on about how great ARod is. Now that I have seen ARod for two seasons, I am more convinced than ever that Jeter is the superior player.

Same deal here.

There is a skill to winning.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Aikman>Manning

Aikman was better as the games got bigger, The most accurate passer I have ever seen.Great leader, unflappable...

Manning can get flustered and disappears in big games

Smith>James... this is not even close imho so I see no need to provide commitary

Irvin>Harrison... they were fixing to have to outlaw Mike before he got into all his troubles...Irvin was the only WR that could make Deion look silly and Deion is probably the only shutdown corner the nfl ever produced...

I don't even think its close now add the SB's and it becomes a ridiculous comparison

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I dunno but part of my "skill" set, is winning.

That's kinda what I had in mind.

Here's my analogy. I am a New Yorker (please hold your applause) I have watched Derek Jeter since he came up to the majors. Everyone blabbed on and on about how great ARod is. Now that I have seen ARod for two seasons, I am more convinced than ever that Jeter is the superior player.

Same deal here.

There is a skill to winning.

Well i dont like the yankees but i see waht you mean, and i somewhat agree but i still voted for the cowboys because i think Emitt and the playmaker was better than harrison and james.

And BTW i think if Peyton can get a D that can play for 4 quarters then he will beat the Pats and win the SB, but thats for another day

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
OK leaving out the superbowls

Dallas won more confrence championships, went to more championship games and did this in the strongest division in FB.

Dallas's Trio had something the colts as of yet haven't had and that is the confidence to win any time and any where.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
You could patent that line... a lotta truth to it.

Uh, yeah that and my invention... a ski mobile that goes underwater...I still have a few bugs to work out on that that.

Hey...OooohOOOOOh...I got "hugs AND kisses" and Irvinite only got "kisses"

:eek:: ;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Well i dont like the yankees but i see waht you mean, and i somewhat agree but i still voted for the cowboys because i think Emitt and the playmaker was better than harrison and james.

And BTW i think if Peyton can get a D that can play for 4 quarters then he will beat the Pats and win the SB, but thats for another day

I think Emmitt had it over James....by a wide margin.

Irvin and Harrison. I might call that one a tie.

And Manning vs Aikman, hard to say because of the vast difference in the offenses.

I one of those people who believe that if Aikman was behind center in an offense like the Colts run, he would have put up huge numbers also.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I think Emmitt had it over James....by a wide margin.

Irvin and Harrison. I might call that one a tie.

And Manning vs Aikman, hard to say because of the vast difference in the offenses.

I one of those people who believe that if Aikman was behind center in an offense like the Colts run, he would have put up huge numbers also.

I tihnk he would to, Just the smae the other way, Peyton and Troy both play good because of outstanding OL, they have the time to sit there and read D,

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
I tihnk he would to, Just the smae the other way, Peyton and Troy both play good because of outstanding OL, they have the time to sit there and read D,

Yep...

It's always burned my butt when people say that Aikman was only decent but excelled because of the team around him...but they don't extend the same thinking to Smith and Irvin.

The game that always sticks out in my mind, was the Switzer loss to the 49ers in the playoffs....Aikman had a monster day...got knocked on his rear after just about every pass...picked himself up, and stood tall in the pocket on the next play.

The guy was super.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Aikman>Manning

Aikman was better as the games got bigger, The most accurate passer I have ever seen.Great leader, unflappable...

Manning can get flustered and disappears in big games

Aikman was as pretty to watch mechanically as Fouts and DeBerg were. Good footwork and a repetitive arm motion. His only drawback was his unorthodox grip which caused him problems in rain games. It was like watching a machine.

That's why the high success rate in games of importance. He was robotic in some ways, and I believe the guys in the huddle trusted him to get the ball to the right place ALL the time.

I admit that I have only watched Manning in two games, but they were both playoff games. I wouldn't use him to teach kids how to throw the ball or set up his footwork. Happy feet anyone?

Smith>James... this is not even close imho so I see no need to provide commitary

Agree whole heartedly. One was a proven warrior with a incredible competitiveness. The other seems to only care about the size of his pleasure craft.

Irvin>Harrison... they were fixing to have to outlaw Mike before he got into all his troubles...Irvin was the only WR that could make Deion look silly and Deion is probably the only shutdown corner the nfl ever produced...

Two different types of receivers, but I think it was the style of physical receiver that gave Troy alot of confidence. Irvin was always open on the patented 7 - 15 yard outs and Troy had beautiful timing on those passes.

When Harrison develops his game to the extent that rule changes are instituted to negate his style of play I think we may consider him in fine company.

In the games I watched it was Harrison's combination of speed and route running that got him open. For Irvin he only got open because of him physical play and knowledge of shielding.

For Marvin if the route is covered he's covered. For Mike if the man is there he always made it interesting in trying to make separation when it wasn't there.

Both are successful styles, but one is more suited to playoff games when coverage is tighter and the refs don't want to influence the outcome of the games with flags all over the field.

Also, Irvin played in a time when the CB had one hand on your hip and you were slapping at their meat hooks as you were going down the field.

I don't even think its close now add the SB's and it becomes a ridiculous comparison

After all my jabbering, this is really all that matters.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Now here's one for ya...

Aikman/Smith/Irvin vs Staubach/Dorsett/Pearson