Same Question Differnt Spin

blindzebra

Reaction score
The STL quartet of Warner, Faulk, Holt, and Bruce was the best statisically and they won a championship.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Aikman > Manning

Smith >>> James

Harrison > Irvin

Aikman was one of the greatest big game QBs of all time. If there was one game that I just had to win I would want Aikman under center.

Smith vs James isn't even close. James isn't any where near as durable as Smith nor does he have the field vision that Smith had.

Hate to say it, but I would take Harrison over Irvin in their primes any day of the week. Although only by an eyelash, but I just believe that Harrison will be regarded as the better WR when all is said and done and I certainly wouldn't argue any other way.

2 out of 3 skill players belong to the Cowboys and superbowls aside I still believe our trio was better than the current Colts trio. Although if the Colts had a defense anywhere near our 90's defense if may be a little harder to say which one was better.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Another great trio to think about was Montana/Rice/Craig.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
On the same team....Irvin would make Harrison look like Freddie Mitchell compared to TO...Manning would be polishing the bench behind Aikman and his super bowl rings wishing only one day he too could have a chance to show he can shine, ala Drew Henson...and James, well James'---I quit, Smith is obviously the better and on the same team it would be the same outcome as his other two teammates going against the only real trio of greatness the NFL has put out.

A pure travesty that those 3 nobodies can be mentioned in the same breath! I mean it was all fun and games and cool when they had the "potential"...but in the last 5 years or so, they have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are infact NO true triplets. Gee, why don't we go throughout history and name every other triple tandom of players on the same team that never made a real impact by taking their team to multiple and back2back super bowls. The point being, before Troy/Emmitt/Michael, there was no need to name a tandom of triplets because none stood up to that calibur....but the second we could name that tandom people couldn't freakin' hold their breath long enough to find the next one they could deem......winnning credentials or not.

I realize this poll was all fun 'n games...but come on, a Dallas Cowboy fan mentioning those three could've beens in the same breath with our three greats??? I vote for the firing squad---quick and direct, no one man holding the smoking gun. :D

wxcpo

Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
On the same team....Irvin would make Harrison look like Freddie Mitchell compared to TO...Manning would be polishing the bench behind Aikman and his super bowl rings wishing only one day he too could have a chance to show he can shine, ala Drew Henson...and James, well James'---I quit, Smith is obviously the better and on the same team it would be the same outcome as his other two teammates going against the only real trio of greatness the NFL has put out.

A pure travesty that those 3 nobodies can be mentioned in the same breath! I mean it was all fun and games and cool when they had the "potential"...but in the last 5 years or so, they have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are infact NO true triplets. Gee, why don't we go throughout history and name every other triple tandom of players on the same team that never made a real impact by taking their team to multiple and back2back super bowls. The point being, before Troy/Emmitt/Michael, there was no need to name a tandom of triplets because none stood up to that calibur....but the second we could name that tandom people couldn't freakin' hold their breath long enough to find the next one they could deem......winnning credentials or not.

I realize this poll was all fun 'n games...but come on, a Dallas Cowboy fan mentioning those three could've beens in the same breath with our three greats??? I vote for the firing squad---quick and direct, no one man holding the smoking gun. :D

I realize you're a homer and this is a Cowboys board and everyone will side with the Cowboys triplets being the greatest ever (myself included), but c'mon those 3 guys the Colts have aren't too bad either. Put the same caliber of defense on that Colts team that our triplets enjoyed playing with and it might be them that are regarded as the best ever instead of our beloved guys.

Aside from James 1 injury season and Wayne's breakout season the Colts triplets have been their teams leaders for the last 6 seasons. It is also not coincidental that once James came along to join Manning and Harrison in Indy to actually form their version of the triplets that the Colts went from a 3-13 team to a 13-3 team and consistent playoff team. It is also not coincidental that when James was injured the team went 6-10.

You may not want to call them "triplets" as before the Cowboys no other team out there were thought of as having these triplets and now every team out there seems to have their own version, be them good or bad. All 3 are on hall of fame paths, not too many teams have a set of triplets the caliber of these three destined for Canton.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I dunno but part of my "skill" set, is winning.

That's kinda what I had in mind.

Here's my analogy. I am a New Yorker (please hold your applause) I have watched Derek Jeter since he came up to the majors. Everyone blabbed on and on about how great ARod is. Now that I have seen ARod for two seasons, I am more convinced than ever that Jeter is the superior player.

Same deal here.

There is a skill to winning.
Jeter=Most overrated man in sports

Anyone can be a winner with a superior team with you. Arod is a better hitter and fielder.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
OK now we've had the debate of which trio is better Colts trio(harrison Manning James) or the Cowboys trio of the 90's(Irvin Aikman Smith)

No same question differnt spin

Whihc trio is better as far as skill discounting the SB wins,

WIth 3 Super Bowl championships under their belt I don't think this debate is even fair!?
I'll break it down a little IMO...

Aikman - Troy vs. Peyton... accuracy vs. cosmic statistics, Troy played big in big games, but he didn't have the number of receivers to throw to like Peyton does, and Aikman was tougher than nails. Aikman doesn't have tons of 350 to 450 yd games, or 50+ TDs in a season... I remember the Cowboys usually lost when Aikman had a 350 yard game because they were having to play catch up and something usually didn't work right that Sunday...be it pass defense, turnovers, or running game (a rarity with Emmitt however). Dallas primary offensive goal was Aikman handing off to Emmitt, and when Dallas had similar numbers of Aikman with 20 for 25 passing with 250 yards and Emmitt with 25 carries for 130 yds rushing, it was a sure win for the Cowboys. Aikman vs. Manning in statistics doesn't compare, Manning hands down in that dept. Aikman winning and being the leader in big games, hands down Aikman.

E. Smith - Emmitt vs. Edgerrin... you can't put anybody to the right of Emmitt's name in comparison to what Emmitt did as far as a RB. Someday maybe... Other RBs might have flashier styles, but Emmitt has all the numbers still. He was just surpassed in the last several years after owning the # of TDs in a season which he held for I think 6 years... Faulk broke his record in 01 and Holmes broke Faulk's 2 years ago I think... someone correct this stat if I'm wrong. :banghead:
Emmitt is a multiple season rushing champion, played through EVERY season uninjured, except for one that doesn't count in my book because he was a redbird, is a Super Bowl MVP, an NFL MVP... Edgerrin may be able to catch passes like a wide receiver and play a little faster, but his comparison in time against Emmitt is a bit skewed. But Emmitt's leadership, heart, guts, and being a world champion player with the class of an aristocrat... there just aint no one you can put beside Emmitt.

Irvin - Michael vs. Marvin... Michael was in retrospect one of the top two receivers in the league in his prime, Jerry Rice was the other of the two during that same timeframe... what was cool was that he was a Dallas Cowboy and we all loved it. There is no comparison in Irvin vs. Harrison IMO... Harrison is noted as one of the top receivers in the NFL, but he wasn't a top two... Irvin flat out was if you remember well enough... Irvin didn't get the name "THE PLAYMAKER" for being a chump... I can say everything that Harrison does well and top it by comparing it to Irvin... Harrison is a great route runner... Michael was well known for being a perfect route runner, his timing with Aikman made them both deadly and always a threat to score. Irvin didn't have two other WRs that were equally comparable in ability. Harrison plays with Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley. Irvin had Harper for a few years... that's it, otherwise he dominated when he needed to. I'm talking WRs or I'd bring Novacek into this conversation, but we'll leave TEs out this time. Double coverage was usually in the same sentence when talking about Irvin. Size, nod goes to Irvin. Toughness, well Irvin of course. Spiritual leader of the whole team, Marvin can't hang his hat on that one either. Super Bowl champion, I think we get the picture now... Irvin in a landslide.

Offensive Line - OL is one other factor in determining any triplets success since we are talking offense. Name me some guys off the Indy offensive line that are talked about like the Dallas 90's OL was... I can't think of a soul myself... I can name Tarik Glenn (because of popularity of the ever important LT position) and that guy with a catchy name C "Saturday", but none could be talked about like the Dallas OL was, with Nate, Stepnoski, Gogan, Tuinei, and Erik Williams. Championships breed notoriety, and no OL in history was talked up, especially loved by John Madden. Indy has none yet except for a little bit of fancy icing on the cake called their version of the triplets.

Dallas Cowboys coined "The Triplets" and it shouldn't be confused with any other poser version of such a name.

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Other:

Montana, Rice, and Craig.

Sorry the West crud offense is statistically freindly to all, there could be lots of combos there...
1. Montana, Tyler, Solomon... SB champs 82
2. yours mentioned, twice SB champs 85, 89
3. Young, Watters, Rice... SB champs 94... conveniently robbed from Dallas per FA
4. Garcia, Owens, Hearst...