Sammy Watkins vs Cooper

Hadenough

Reaction score
Because Dallas traded away a 1st round pick for Amari and he is productive when healthy he needs to be signed. Not a fan of Watkins he is only a #2 wr.

Einstein

Reaction score
I was glad we didn't sign Watkins when we went after him before, so I prefer Cooper. Now we just need to get him signed.

SSoup

Reaction score
I can't hitch my wagon to a 26 year old chirping about needing some down time after winning the SB.
Yeah, this.

I mean, he's just not a producer. 6 seasons in the NFL (3 playing for the Bills and then the last 3 playing for prolific offenses in KC with Mahomes and with McVay's Rams) and his best seasons were with the Bills. He played better for worse teams with worse offenses and worse passers.

It's telling to me that when these other good offenses got their hands on him, they knew they didn't have that much use for him and, like the Bills, were fine moving on from him quickly.

Only 1 thousand-yard season in a 6-year career. In today's NFL, that's pitiful stuff for a guy who was supposed to be a serous starter. And his yards-per-catch has gone down lately, so he's not even the weapon he was at one time.

So if the idea is that we should sign Watkins to play for half of what Cooper will cost, that's a dumb idea. A rookie WR drafted in the 2nd through 4th rounds could match the production Watkins gives while playing for peanuts.

I think kicking Cooper to the curb after spending a 1st rounder on him when he's still in his mid-20's and when he clicks nicely with our QB is profoundly stupid and wasteful. But if we make that mistake, let's not try to stop the bleeding by paying Watkins 5-10 times as much as a generic replacement would, just because Watkins is a bigger name who was drafted in the top 5 once upon a time. If we're gonna be cheap, let's be cheap and slide Gallup into Cooper's spot and replace Gallup with a mid-round rookie (who, let's be honest, will quite likely be better than Watkins anyway).

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
First, I'm one of Coop strongest supporter but this is an interesting option if we can't get him signed and need the tag for Dak. He would certainly be cheaper.........

2019 Stats
G TGT REC YDS YPC TD
14 90 52 673 12.9 3

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news

SAMMY WATKINSWR, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Sammy Watkins committed to playing football in 2020 but admitted mentally, physically, soulfully, spiritually, I need some downtime."
"I don’t control the contract, a trade or if they’re going to give me a bigger contract," Watkins said. "That’s not my worry. I’m not really focused on the money aspect of it

Because of the rules of the CBA nobody knows for sure but the feeling by many is that if no contract is reached with Cooper by the day before free agency starts the Cowboys will use the transitional tag on him so they will be able to match any offer that another team may offer him that he wants to accept. The franchise tag will be used on Prescott if needed. This is the only year that both the franchise and transitional tags can both be used.

mardwin

Reaction score
Watkins is a #2, he is always playing against 1 on 1 because there's always someone over the top for T. Hill.