San Antonio Spurs

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Well time to go fishing with Kenny.

As a Spurs fan, I am super disappointed. I swear, we were very un-Spur-like in that series. We got raped on the glass. We played poor defense. We chucked a ton of 3s, that had no shot of going in. We played like bumbling idiots in the closing minutes of 3 games....Actually, this series kind of resembled the 2006 Dallas series. We had games 1, 3, and 6 in our grasp....but we turned it over, took poor shots, and played bad D. Meanwhile, Memphis attacked the glass, played excellent D, and made their shots and FTs.

What makes me the most upset is the team was afraid to shoot on several occasions in the series. During the regular season, they would just catch and shoot. In this series, they would hesitate or pass, giving up a wide open look, and settling for a highly contested look.

The Grizzlies outhustled, outshot, and simply outplayed the Spurs in this series. I have to give them full credit. My only solace, is that the Spurs did go down fighting and they didn't lose here in SA. If we were going to lose the series, I wanted it to be in Memphis. It sucks to lose your last game at home...but also, it is so much nicer for the winning team, they get to celebrate with their fans.

I normally do not bring up the officiating, but I do have one issue. Zach Randolph was allowed to do whatever he wanted and was hardly whistled. Meanwhile, if a Spurs player even looked at him funny, it was a foul. Twice last night he should have been called for offensive fouls for shoving Matt Bonner, both with full arm extensions, but neither time it was called. Then a few seconds later, Matt barely touches him and its a foul. That is pathetic officiating. It actually reminded me of how the refs let Karl Malone do whatever he pleased, but not the people that guarded him. The only difference, Zach isn't a cheating, dirty, cheapshot artist the way Malone was. Still, it is hard to defend someone who is allowed to maul you on both ends, but you can't even breathe on without being called for a foul. Other than this, I have no issues with the way the series was officiated.

I will say this. The league does need to look at its review policy. In game 5, at the end of the half, the Spurs should have gotten 1.6 seconds to run a play, but the clock say 0.7. The refs could not review the clock, because it did not go all the way down to 0.00. IMO, the amount of time on the clock should always be reviewable, no matter how much time is left, or at least make it in the final minute of each quarter or half. This time it happened to the Spurs. I have seen it happen to other teams too. It just isn't fair that the team gets hosed on critical seconds.

Well Memphis, get ready for Kevin Durant. You think your boy ZBo was getting calls, wait till you see KD. That guy lives at the FT line. It is going to be interesting to see who shoots more FTs in this series, ZBo or KD. I honestly hope the refs let the teams play and both only average about 25-30 FTs a game. Unfortuately, I have a feeling the teams will average 40-50 a game.

Lastly, Arthur, I hate you. I know you will never, ever, shoot again the way you did in this series. You owned my Spurs. You missed like 3 shots the entire series. You will never, ever play this lights out again. I am going out on a limb and saying that you will disappear against OKC.....that is all. BTW, in this series, a new Spurs killer was born...00

GO SPURS GO

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
A Spurs fan complaining about the refs is the definition of irony. Zach may have gotten away with a few but EVERY Spur got away with much more. They flop more than any team in the NBA and when they don't get a call they whine to the refs. McDyess was putting NFL blocks on Conley the whole series and never got called for it. So don't even use the refs as an excuse for getting your butts kicked by the 8 seed.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3933093 said:
A Spurs fan complaining about the refs is the definition of irony. Zach may have gotten away with a few but EVERY Spur got away with much more. They flop more than any team in the NBA and when they don't get a call they whine to the refs. McDyess was putting NFL blocks on Conley the whole series and never got called for it. So don't even use the refs as an excuse for getting your butts kicked by the 8 seed.

i knew it...typical, you cannot admit that Randolph got away with murder. Spurs fans can admit Duncan got the calls. We can admit that Bowen was physical. We can admit Manu and Horry flopped a lot.

Also, I am not blaming the refs. Even with Zach getting all the calls, the Spurs were up 81-80 last night. Then they stopped playing, while Memphis kept playing.

I am saying that it isnt fair for one guy to be able to maul on both ends, but the guy that guards him cannot even touch him without getting the whistle. Come on Yeager, I respect you as a sports fan and your knowledge. You have to admit, it is a severe disadvantage for one team. How are you supposed to defend or box out a guy who you are not allowed to touch, but is allowed to maul you? Please answer this one....

Like I said, all opponents of Karl Malone had to deal with the same thing. He would push, shove, throw elbows, kick, etc and no call. Yet when a player stood his ground and Malone backed into him, FOUL....

THE SPURS DID NOT LOSE BECAUSE OF THE REFS.....just because I have issues with how the refs treated Randolph, doesn't mean I am blaming them for the loss.

As far as McDyess goes, most of those were solid screens. He was set and Conley ran into him. A couple of times though, he did lunge into the Grizzly player, once Conley, once Allen I beleive.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I said he got away with some calls but he didn't foul anywhere near as much as the Spurs whole.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Come on guys, they swallowed the whistles both ways, yes gasol and randolph pushed off some, but I mean, Timmy, bonner, mcdyess were all super physical with them on D. In the regular season (or if u go by the book) all five of those guys foul out by the middle of the first quarter. I'm glad they let them play, mcdyess couldn't have played him better in the last few minutes, but z-Bo was unbelievable, not TD, KG, dikembe mutombo, bill Russell, anyone in their prime could have played him better those two buckets he made at the end, he was just incredible

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

It looks like you guys had a case of the "Mavericks" syndrome. Thanks! The Spurs will have a major overhaul this off-season for sure. They need to get younger. I even wonder if this was Timmys last year. Well, now you guys can root for the only other team in Texas!

GO MAVS!

MC KAos

Reaction score
they wont do an overhaul, most of our money is tied up to tim, tony, manu and :puke::puke::puke:richard jefferson.

tim is a living legend and will be allowed to retire whenever the hell he wants because he has earned it, manu is still the third best shooting guard in the league, he just gets hurt at the worst times! plus he too wouldnt be traded because the fans love him too much (and yes, the spurs front office takes that into account) a large portion of our fan base is hispanic and manu is obviously very popular in SA.

no one wants RJ and his contract, so the only real option would be to package tony (our only real asset) with RJ for some quality bigs, but i cant really think of a team that would be willing to do that, maybe the magic do it if they know for sure that howard isnt coming back, but the spurs wouldnt be able to resign him either. so the only real option is trading those two for high draft picks and some decent big men (maybe with utah for their picks and okur/milsap or something)

anyway, as you can see, its gonna be very hard for the spurs to rebuild either from the draft or free agency. the best bet is if they can find the big man version of gary neal. that, or go back in time and undo the stupid luis scola trade

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Tim is still better than Robinson when Tim entered the league ...... all the Spurs need to do is (not that it is simple) is find a young good bigman to team with Tim.

Twin Towers part 2

MC KAos

Reaction score
zrinkill;3936011 said:
Tim is still better than Robinson when Tim entered the league ...... all the Spurs need to do is (not that it is simple) is find a young good bigman to team with Tim.

Twin Towers part 2

Problem is we need a big man that has a good post game, and those are hard to find. Tim can still play stout D but his post game has suffered a lot with age. I wish Robert Horry was 28 and a spur, lol

MC KAos

Reaction score
So......errrrr........maybe we don't suck that bad after all! Memphis doing work!

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Memphis is beastin it, NBA version of the Rangers this year? lol

Also, as Spurs fans, do you expect Duncan to retire? I have heard he was on his last leg, and has been a liability this season from other fans.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Corleone;3936294 said:
Memphis is beastin it, NBA version of the Rangers this year? lol

Also, as Spurs fans, do you expect Duncan to retire? I have heard he was on his last leg, and has been a liability this season from other fans.

Nah, he looks terrible because we all remember him from his rpime when he would get 35-15-5-5 when it mattered most, but he is still a very good player. He would be the second best big man in Miami for sure, for instance.

He won't retire until the 2013 or 14 off season (my guess). The thing that hurts is that he is making max money and that really hurts our cap