Satisfied with Jason Ferguson's performance?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Justis said:
I don't think you understand Ferguson. His talent as an NT is his high motor. Not his weight. I prefer 310 pounders that engage as opposed to the 340 pound tackles that get in the way. And once again, his performance was just what one would ask for out of a good NT.
That 340 pounder over there at San Diego would sure look good on this defense. Instead, he's a part of the number 1 rushing defense in the league..

Nightshade

Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man said:
The only problem with drafting a DT on the first day is that, because of the scarcity at this position, they tend to leave the board much earlier than they were projected to.

What position would be more important to go for at this point? I'd like the best Free Safety but Huff will definetely be gone and Simpson is definetely going to be there in round 2, so i'd take Watson if he fell in round 1. This is a reflection of my feelings about the importance of the position. Isn't this position the key to the 3-4 scheme? It seems like we're making a run this year for all the marbles, I think if NT isn't adequately addressed it's going to be an impediment to that goal.

Thing is Parcells had Jim Burt when they won the SB's in New York, and he was notoriously undersized. My question goes to the knowledgable on this board. (which is most of the members) Purhaps Ferguson is more than enough, but i'm thinking Burt was like Stepnoski, some kind of physical freak at his position. And that Ferguson may be getting more than he can handle.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
That 340 pounder over there at San Diego would sure look good on this defense. Instead, he's a part of the number 1 rushing defense in the league..

Ted Washington weighs 360, let's sign him! :jerk:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Ted Washington weighs 360, let's sign him! :jerk:
You guys can debate with me all you want, facts are facts. Go look at all the power house 3-4 teams, and let me know what their starting NT weighs. BTW, if the guy is under 6'3 and weighs 325 pds, just add 10 to Ferguson, and that's the equivelant.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
You guys can debate with me all you want, facts are facts. Go look at all the power house 3-4 teams, and let me know what their starting NT weighs. BTW, if the guy is under 6'3 and weighs 325 pds, just add 10 to Ferguson, and that's the equivelant.

it's not size, it's skill

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
it's not size, it's skill
Well let's go out and sign some 325 pd skilled NTs then. Ferguson is undersized for the NT position after losing weight, and he has no skill to go with it. Our defense got little push on the line, and it starts with the NT.
I don't know too many 305 pound 3-4 NTs that's won any Super Bowls. And BTW, if Ted Washington were 25 years old, I would snatch him up in a heart beat.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Nightshade said:
What position would be more important to go for at this point? I'd like the best Free Safety but Huff will definetely be gone and Simpson is definetely going to be there in round 2, so i'd take Watson if he fell in round 1. This is a reflection of my feelings about the importance of the position. Isn't this position the key to the 3-4 scheme? It seems like we're making a run this year for all the marbles, I think if NT isn't adequately addressed it's going to be an impediment to that goal.
I agree that having a good rotation at NT is very important for this defense to be successful, but I'd say a SOLB and a FS with good cover skills are our two biggest defensive needs (fortunately the draft is deep at these two positions), with a backup NT for our rotation right behind them. Though with so much emphasis put on our defense the past few drafts I would like them to start putting focus on adding youth to our offense, especially on the line and at WR.

My point before was that a good NT prospect isn't going to just fall to us wherever we pick - we're going to have to trade up to take one, and that means we would have to reach when what we really need to be doing is adding picks and taking the BPA.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Sign Sam Adams for 2 years short term. He and Ferguson with Johnson would be OK and allow for them to take a flyer on a guy later in the draft.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man said:
I agree that having a good rotation at NT is very important for this defense to be successful, but I'd say a SOLB and a FS with good cover skills are our two biggest defensive needs (fortunately the draft is deep at these two positions), with a backup NT for our rotation right behind them. Though with so much emphasis put on our defense the past few drafts I would like them to start putting focus on adding youth to our offense, especially on the line and at WR.

My point before was that a good NT prospect isn't going to just fall to us wherever we pick - we're going to have to trade up to take one, and that means we would have to reach when what we really need to be doing is adding picks and taking the BPA.
I'm not suggesting moving up to get a NT, I just think we need to add someone with SKILL/SIZE to go behind Ferguson. And don't think for a second that Parcells won't pull Ferguson if he's continually getting pushed around and he has a big youngster over there breathing down his neck.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Well let's go out and sign some 325 pd skilled NTs then. Ferguson is undersized for the NT position after losing weight, and he has no skill to go with it. Our defense got little push on the line, and it starts with the NT.
I don't know too many 305 pound 3-4 NTs that's won any Super Bowls. And BTW, if Ted Washington were 25 years old, I would snatch him up in a heart beat.
You're totally ignoring the fact that Parcells doesn't want a fat NT. He specifically made Ferguson drop weight before camp started. You are not running things, Parcells is and the type of players he wants is the type they will get.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
You're totally ignoring the fact that Parcells doesn't want a fat NT. He specifically made Ferguson drop weight before camp started. You are not running things, Parcells is and the type of players he wants is the type they will get.

:hammer: good point, forgot about that

Justis

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I don't think you actually watched Ferguson's performance anything more than casually. The guy was disruptive, the guy did occupy blockers, and on many circumstances he forced them to hold him (but they usually got away with it.) The only reason we need another NT is because the rotation requires 2 DTs in a rotation.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'd rather follow Super Bowl winning NTs. And if I follow that thinking, then the winners of the last 3 Super Bowl had big fat NTs..:) So Bill can do whatever he wants, but I'd rather follow the Winning ways of the Champs.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
then you should know that Ferguson had a better statistical year than Casey Hampton
I see your arguments for Ferguson, I just think he's a little undersized to be taking on 2 players every snap. And taking on 2 players every snap can really wear you down.
If you need to have a fat guy in there and pull him every 3rd play, then do it. Just as long as he is not movable.

Now if the guy is as strong as king kong or something, then I don't care if he's 215 pds playing NT.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I see your arguments for Ferguson, I just think he's a little undersized to be taking on 2 players every snap. And taking on 2 players every snap can really wear you down.
If you need to have a fat guy in there and pull him every 3rd play, then do it. Just as long as he is not movable.

Now if the guy is as strong as king kong or something, then I don't care if he's 215 pds playing NT.

if you are strong, and can take on 2 blockers well, that's all that matters to me, and that's Ferguson, plus he's also pretty agile, something many 325+ NTs aren't, I say give him another year, even though he wasn't that bad last year

DBoys

Reaction score
For those of you harping on Ferguson you obviusly are not watching tape nor do you understand the expectation for a 3-4 NT.

Justis and summerisfun posts are more accurate. Fergy was looking really good at the end of the year. Pepper made plays every time he was in the game and I can't wait to see him after this off season. Not to mention the fact that Ratliff, Spears, and even Canty could play NT it would be silly to spend a 1st day pick on a NT.

In my opinion NT is not even a need but if we were to pick one up it would not be on the first day.

It's like saying we need a RB

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys said:
For those of you harping on Ferguson you obviusly are not watching tape nor do you understand the expectation for a 3-4 NT.

Justis and summerisfun posts are more accurate. Fergy was looking really good at the end of the year. Pepper made plays every time he was in the game and I can't wait to see him after this off season. Not to mention the fact that Ratliff, Spears, and even Canty could play NT it would be silly to spend a 1st day pick on a NT.

In my opinion NT is not even a need but if we were to pick one up it would not be on the first day.

It's like saying we need a RB

:hammer:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
After Watson the quality drops significantly. Who would you suggest would be an upgrade in this draft after Watson?

Rodrique Wright wouldn't be a bad pick in the 3rd round and I could easily see him being available in that round.

Rich......

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Rodrique Wright wouldn't be a bad pick in the 3rd round and I could easily see him being available in that round.

Rich......

Wright would make for a better 3-4 DE