Satisfied with Jason Ferguson's performance?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Question:
Why are all the great 3-4 NT's 320lbs +.
And I do understand what a NT is supposed to do, and I did record and watch every game the Boys played, and Glover is stronger than Ferguson, but he couldn't hold up. Ferguson was bigger than Glover by far.
If strength mattered exclusively, then why isn't Glover on this team?

Just want the opinion from all the experts on the board, btw who also said that there was no way Ayodele could move inside, but I was the one before anyone found out where he would play, suggested he should be moved inside.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DBoys said:
For those of you harping on Ferguson you obviusly are not watching tape nor do you understand the expectation for a 3-4 NT.

Justis and summerisfun posts are more accurate. Fergy was looking really good at the end of the year.

IMO, Fergy was okay. Seemed to get back to his old form at the end of the year, but I wouldn't say he was looking really good. I thought he got way too much blame for the second Skins game. They were pretty much getting a stalemate against the Washington O-Line when they ran the ball, it's just that Fujita and Shanle virtually did nothing to help stop Portis.

Pepper made plays every time he was in the game and I can't wait to see him after this off season.

I liked Pepper a lot and I'm sort of surprised Parcells didn't activate him earlier. Still, he's 300 pounds tops right now and he's best suited to be a 3-4 DE.

Not to mention the fact that Ratliff, Spears, and even Canty could play NT it would be silly to spend a 1st day pick on a NT.

Neither of these guys would fit in as a 3-4 nose guard very well. Spears might have the best chance as he seems more powerful, but Canty and Ratliff are suited solely as 3-4 DE's or 4-3 DT's given their frame and capabilities.

It's like saying we need a RB

I don't think so. If Julius gets hurt, Barber has proven he can be a quality starter and Thompson could at least be a quality backup. If Ferguson gets hurt, Pepper is still a bit of an unknown and may not have the size to play the position every down. On top of that, they wouldn't have a backup for Pepper.

Not only that, Ferguson turns 32 years old. Given the importance of the NG position in the 3-4, they'll probably want to look ahead to the future if they can.

Rich.............

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Wright would make for a better 3-4 DE

I don't know about that. He's listed as at least weight 315 lbs everywhere I look and he's supposedly 6'4" to 6'5" tall.

Rich..........

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Another thing that might help Ferguson, is the emergence of Canty and Spears. Canty added weight I've heard, and those 2 with experience, should help keep that front line from moving backwards.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
I thought Ferguson could easily be considered the bust of 2005 for our offseason. And this is the same guy who was supposed to be one of Bill's favorite draft picks? I was really expecting someone special when I heard that.

It concerns me how we've totally ignored that position so far since the Glover releasing. Eh, I almost wonder if that might be some sort of decoy we're all overlooking. Maybe DT is our target for rd1.. If not, as is, we're in trouble.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I doubt we pour alot of money into the NT position, and traditionally, BP likes to go late late round for his NTs, so we'll see.

Justis

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I doubt we pour alot of money into the NT position, and traditionally, BP likes to go late late round for his NTs, so we'll see.
that one, I agree with.

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
I think people rip on Ferguson way too much. He was good last year imo. No he didn't get 6 sacks (or whatever was apparently expected of him), but you could tell he did much better than Glover did when in the 3-4. I'd like to see the 3rd or 5th round pick we have used on a backup NT though. I like Oshinowo from Stanford.

Woods

Reaction score
littlewebs said:
I think people rip on Ferguson way too much. He was good last year imo. No he didn't get 6 sacks (or whatever was apparently expected of him), but you could tell he did much better than Glover did when in the 3-4. I'd like to see the 3rd or 5th round pick we have used on a backup NT though. I like Oshinowo from Stanford.

I'd like to use a 3rd or 5th rounder on a NT as well.

The problem is that we need an OLB, FS, OL depth, NT depth, and a WR to develop.

If we can't trade down and pick up an extra pick, we got to hope that the June cuts help us out.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Woods said:
I'd like to use a 3rd or 5th rounder on a NT as well.

The problem is that we need an OLB, FS, OL depth, NT depth, and a WR to develop.

If we can't trade down and pick up an extra pick, we got to hope that the June cuts help us out.
I wouldn't mind getting Steve Fifta in the 5th or 6th round. He's short but stocky at 5'11 323, but he's the second strongest NT in the draft.

Someone who is low to the ground that can get up under guards and centers and just plow the heck out of the middle of an offensive line.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After he finally got healthy, Fergy played pretty well. That just isn't a position where you will see a lot of flashy plays or sacks. I'm more concerned about his backup.