Saturday XFL thread

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Agree.

One of the AAF stars didn't even make the Cowboys practice squad, IIRC.

It's likely the same group of players that were in that league.
There are different ones. But I cannot see a difference between the quality of play with the two leagues.

There were some decent veteran coaching staffs in the AAF like Spurrier, Erickson, Martz, Riley and Neuheisel that might have given them a better advantage.

The head coaches I see in the XFL are not that impressive. They seem to be less experienced and successful. Only Stoops, Zorn, Trestman and June Jones have been head coaches in college or the NFL. And Zorn and Trestman were mostly flops at the NFL level.

Alexander

Reaction score
Less talented players aside, there's other aspects of this product to be excited about. Like the reemergence of tackle football, and my guess is these teams are heads and shoulders better than most college teams but none of you naysayers have any problem tuning into watch that.
The league will need to market itself as the opposite of the overly regulated NFL to survive.

More big hits. Less officiating. Just play off what annoys fans about the NFL is where I would focus.

Blake

Reaction score
The league will need to market itself as the opposite of the overly regulated NFL to survive.

More big hits. Less officiating. Just play off what annoys fans about the NFL is where I would focus.

100% agree. They really shouldn't even posture themselves as competition to the NFL. Just be Nintendo to Sony & Microsoft.

Alexander

Reaction score
In a perfect world...Tom Brady would have been drafted number one overall; Warren Moon and Kurt Warner would have been day one starters in the NFL, after declaring.

You never know.....that's why.
I hardly think this league has any relation to what you just said.

Brady was drafted and was never on the street. Moon went to the CFL immediately and started lighting it up.

I guess you are asking for people to look for the next Kurt Warner. Okay, that is fair. I think it will take a very short period of time to see how this league will have QB issues. The NFL cannot even field teams with two or three solid QBs let alone a fledgling league that pays nothing.

QBs with star power like Manziel is what this league would need. Even he turns his nose up.

Alexander

Reaction score
Another thing they could do to provide viability is introduce unlimited coaches challenges and laser spotting of the football to eliminate referee incompetence.

Alexander

Reaction score
I got confused looking for the thread, but I realize now it was started by @Rockport.

Thought I was going crazy for a minute.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
It's different, but alright. I'll watch more. And like some of you have said, the transparency with the replay reviews has been a good addition.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Less talented players aside, there's other aspects of this product to be excited about. Like the reemergence of tackle football, and my guess is these teams are heads and shoulders better than most college teams but none of you naysayers have any problem tuning into watch that.

I also like that they are trying to use gimmicks like the Arena league does with WRs getting running starts and stuff like that.