Saw a lot of complaints about Dallas drafting an LB so high

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
No they don’t, and on the rare occasion they’re usually panned. And I didn’t say others doing it makes it a good idea, I said it’s not true that it’s not done.

I don't believe anyone argued it's not done (its a very easy thing to check). The argument is that it's not a great use of resources--and it is not.

Think about it this way: Dallas has had a top 10 pick 2 times in the last decade. They used them on an RB and a off-the-ball LB.

Maybe OK for Parsons, as they seem like they may use him as a edge, but generally you should be looking for a premium position.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

starfan1

Reaction score
Its not hard to find. Go look yourself. The Cowboys and Chicago talked for weeks before the draft about this scenario. We passed and they offered it to the Giants.

Gettleman “called around” to teams around the league on Thursday morning to see who might be interested in making a move up to No. 11. The Chicago Bears and general manager Ryan Pace — who said he’s had a relationship with Gettleman for 20 years — were one of those teams.

Gettleman is “an amazing person, an amazing general manager,” Pace said. “We go way back.”

Their initial talk went well.

“When I spoke to (Pace), he said, ‘Yes, we’re very interested,’” Gettleman said. “And then the conversations begin.”

Ok 2 things here it looks like you are somewhat correct the cowboys said they were open to a trade down with Chicago but they were open with trade down with anyone and parameters were not discussed that i see. Parameters were discussed with Giants who it appears had a bit of a relationship with Bears GM and Im sure that played a role.

secondly Im assuming top player on the cowboys board was Penai Sewell then I guess there is some debate on the order of the 2 corners and Micah Parsons. Jerry after the pick said it was Micah (could be jerry BS). it sounds to me the cowboys coveted the players more than future draft capital which may or may not have been offered. Parsons would not have made it to 20

The cowboys made a good deal with Philly although Im not huge on the selection but thats a different discussion

Proof

Reaction score
I don't believe anyone argued it's not done (its a very easy thing to check). The argument is that it's not a great use of resources--and it is not.

Think about it this way: Dallas has had a top 10 pick 2 times in the last decade. They used them on an RB and a off-the-ball LB.

Maybe OK for Parsons, as they seem like they may use him as a edge, but generally you should be looking for a premium position.

I’m not going to go back and quote each time it was said, but yes there were quite a few people saying it. Hence why I did the easy thing and checked myself. I’m not sure how many different ways I can say that I’m not advocating the selection, just commenting on that piece. And I hated drafting zeke at 4

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Frankly I am more interested in the overall impact of the player than the position. If Parsons can come in and help shut down the run and get after the QB then great that is what this team needs.

cowboyec

Reaction score
love the parsons/cox combo.
hpoefully they become what i thought van jaylon would be.
i feel alot better about our LBs with the new kids.
and i hope udfa anthony hines kicks some *** and makes the roster also.

the DE group will be fun to watch in pre-season.
chauncey golston vs bradlee anae v dorance armstrong.
its gonna be a tough cut to 53.

Cowboys224lyfe

Reaction score
From my understanding Neal will be playing LB as well. Can someone more schematically knowledgeable explain to me where he fits in?

HungryLion

Reaction score

I generally like Mosher, listen to him on locked on cowboys podcast.

but he is 100% biased against the Parsons pick. He also frames things in a poor way.

One he says “I think only 3 of them got a second contract from their original team”

well a large chunk of that list hasn’t even gotten past their rookie deal yet lol. He is purposefully being dishonest to list the guys who haven’t had a chance at a second deal yet due to only being in the league for 4 or less years. He does that occasionally on Twitter to strengthen his arguments. Then he says “look at all these guys who haven’t gotten a second deal with their team”.

there’s also a couple who didn’t re-sign with their original team but did get a sizable deal with a new team. Which is a concern in that the original team didn’t keep them, but at the same time. Other nfl teams saw fit to give them a big second contract.

I mean come on.

And there are a slew of really good players on that list that have been difference makers for their teams.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Imo
They had three acceptable options at 12
Slater
Parsons
Trade down

They took one of the three, so lets see how it goes

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The positional group has to be totally rebuilt as it is quite possible that both Lve/Jaylon could be off this roster next season. I think one stays and it probably will be Lve on a contract similar to the one Lee had based on games played.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The complaints are coming from those that just don't appreciate the value of the LB position. On the chessboard, the D-line is directly countered and neutralized by the O-line. The same goes for CB and safety, a crafty WR finds a way to get clear of them. It's only in the LB position where the defense has a designed mismatch. Offensive coordinators pull their hair out trying to design a scheme to defeat a top-tier LB group. Great LBers blow up the best offenses all day long.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

That's what I want to see.. I want to see him on the edge.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Seems like it keeps getting regurgitated here and in the twitterverse as if linebackers don't conventionally get taken w/ premium picks.

Going back 5 years there's been linebackers taken in the top 10 every year (except for 17 where the first was taken at pick 13)

2019 there were 3 taken in the top 10 (and one more @ 12)
2018 there 2 (and another at 16)

I get we've now got a ton of resources at LB and it's disappointing how things have panned out, just wanted to kill the narrative.
Calling Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, and Bradley Chubb LBs is extremely misleading. They're edge players and entirely separated from this convo.

Given that, there's just Tremaine Edmunds (16), Roquan Smith (8), Devin White (5), Devin Bush (10), and Isaiah Simmons (8) who play off ball LB taken in the top 20 since 2018. Every single one of them was a bad pick, relative to who else they could have taken, which is the point.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The complaints are coming from those that just don't appreciate the value of the LB position. On the chessboard, the D-line is directly countered and neutralized by the O-line. The same goes for CB and safety, a crafty WR finds a way to get clear of them. It's only in the LB position where the defense has a designed mismatch. Offensive coordinators pull their hair out trying to design a scheme to defeat a top-tier LB group. Great LBers blow up the best offenses all day long.
Uh, no. 11 personnel has already solved this.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Seems like it keeps getting regurgitated here and in the twitterverse as if linebackers don't conventionally get taken w/ premium picks.

Going back 5 years there's been linebackers taken in the top 10 every year (except for 17 where the first was taken at pick 13)

2019 there were 3 taken in the top 10 (and one more @ 12)
2018 there 2 (and another at 16)

I get we've now got a ton of resources at LB and it's disappointing how things have panned out, just wanted to kill the narrative.
thing is, those same teams that invest in top 10 linebackers actually invest in the interior DL to allow their top 10 backers to flourish... we don't

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder how the Ravens feel about Ray Lewis, or the Bears feel about Urlacher and Dick Butkus

Ray Lewis was the 5th LB taken and was drafted 26th overall. But, in general, its a bad idea to compare your rookie LB to HOFers. Odds are, he's not that guy.

kevm3

Reaction score
Who should we have drafted instead of Parsons? The two corners they wanted were off the board. Parsons was one of the highest, if not the highest rated defender in the draft at a position of need with LVE's availability being questionable and Sean Lee retiring.

Jake0

Reaction score
Calling Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, and Bradley Chubb LBs is extremely misleading. They're edge players and entirely separated from this convo.

Given that, there's just Tremaine Edmunds (16), Roquan Smith (8), Devin White (5), Devin Bush (10), and Isaiah Simmons (8) who play off ball LB taken in the top 20 since 2018. Every single one of them was a bad pick, relative to who else they could have taken, which is the point.

What? Who should Tampa have taken instead of Devin White? The guy was a critical component of their SB run. Absolute home run pick. He should have been in the DPOY conversation and was probably the biggest pro bowl snub of the century.

Who should Pittsburgh have taken instead of Devin Bush?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What? Who should Tampa have taken instead of Devin White? The guy was a critical component of their SB run. Absolute home run pick. He should have been in the DPOY conversation and was probably the biggest pro bowl snub of the century.

Who should Pittsburgh have taken instead of Devin Bush?
Josh Allen or Ed Oliver for Tampa. Pitt would have been better with pretty much any of the next 10 picks, except Haskins.

Jake0

Reaction score
Josh Allen or Ed Oliver for Tampa. Pitt would have been better with pretty much any of the next 10 picks, except Haskins.

They are 2 good players for sure. Have they done enough to show they're more valuable than Devin White? I don't think so. Devin White is consistently dominating games. It's only been 2 years so you can only do so much with that data. White had 9 sacks last year btw. Calling White a bad pick is flat out one of the worst takes though, real talk. Maybe just a little biased there.