Saw a lot of complaints about Dallas drafting an LB so high

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They are 2 good players for sure. Have they done enough to show they're more valuable than Devin White? I don't think so. Devin White is consistently dominating games. It's only been 2 years so you can only do so much with that data. White had 9 sacks last year btw. Calling White a bad pick is flat out one of the worst takes though, real talk. Maybe just a little biased there.
It's not about hindsight. Assuming Allen, Oliver and White all have the same ceiling - say top 5 at their position - then White is the last one you take because it's the less valuable position.

Devin White isn't even Tampa's best LB, and his sacks are just a product of scheme, surrounding talent or blown protections. Here's 3 that I found quickly...he's not blocked on any of them.

Sacks are a bad measure of basically anything, but you draft the guy who can get them without being schemed for it.

White is a great player and a bad pick at 5.

Jake0

Reaction score
I only added in the sacks just because it's a silly stat that everyone loves to point to for effectiveness in the passing game, but he's a critical player even without the sacks cause he's doing literally everything. Watch him play and tell me the plays he's making aren't unique to his skillset and aren't absolutely crippling the opposing offense's gameplan. His main attribute is his sideline to sideline speed blowing plays up. How many passing plays in today's game are short passes that are set up? There's a million underneath passes to WRs, tons of plays to running backs that aren't just screens. Stopping teams on 3rd and 4 or some other short down like that wins you games. Tackles for loss are pretty much as good as sacks. 3 and outs are the best thing you can do next to an immediate turnover or a defensive score. It's way better than getting drove on for 5+ minutes and then getting a turnover.

Elite LBs are multi-dimensional and are very hard to find. They need to be versatile enough to manage the entire field, rush the passer, stop the run, shed blocks, cover TEs, cover WRs going underneath/over the middle, make proper reads in the red zone, etc. There's obviously way more but this is just a quick post, so whatever. An LB with high football IQ, great size/speed combo, great tackling and coverage abilities is a blue chip athlete. Extremely difficult to find this skillset in later rounds. You can find pro bowl DEs/DTs more commonly in later rounds. The main issue with the position is staying healthy, which is a major knock on safety as well. Players like Patrick Willis or Luke Keuchly are very hard to find and transform a defense into elite units.

The sack vs NYG is absolutely a legit sack because of his skillset btw. Look at what he does, he fakes like he's dropping and then has the speed to completely destroy the play and get the sack. Huge element for the opposing offense to be forced to gameplan against anytime he's standing in that spot. There's a lot more to a team being a successful defense than just winning 1 on 1 battles in the trenches.

I don't really understand how a Cowboys fan can undervalue the linebacker position. We've had first hand experience for years watching the defense go from pretty good to absolutely horrendous based on the single notion of whether Sean Lee was playing or injured that week. Lee was pretty much Tyron Smith's in/out impact for years in his prime. It's not easy to plug in a random 5th/6th+ round linebacker to weather the storm for a few weeks.

erod

Reaction score
So, tell me how they got “punked”? By teams ahead of them in the draft order taking a player they wanted? That’s getting “punked” (such a stupid term)? OK.
Oakland traded up in from of us to take the safety we wanted. Jerry tried to trade up in the first round to get a CB, but failed to close it. That's why he traded back, and there was talk he wanted to trade back again but couldn't find a partner, so they took Parsons.

The Fan discussed this.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Basically they just put LVE and Smith on notice, perform or leave. I would've preferred finally having a 1T instead to clean up the line for us and make life easier for the entire defense. However, I've accepted that the current braintrust just doesn't value a space-eating DT the way some fans do.
It would have to be a special 1T to take at 10 or 12 maybe even in the 1st round all together

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Oakland traded up in from of us to take the safety we wanted. Jerry tried to trade up in the first round to get a CB, but failed to close it. That's why he traded back, and there was talk he wanted to trade back again but couldn't find a partner, so they took Parsons.

The Fan discussed this.
Every single person on here would’ve lost their mind if we had traded up for one of the corners in the first round. If we tried, we shouldn’t have. As far as other draft positions, you can try to trade but as the saying goes, it takes two to tango. We can’t control what other teams do. I think we were going to take Joseph in the second regardless. I think we did pretty well overall.

Proof

Reaction score
Calling Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, and Bradley Chubb LBs is extremely misleading. They're edge players and entirely separated from this convo.

Given that, there's just Tremaine Edmunds (16), Roquan Smith (8), Devin White (5), Devin Bush (10), and Isaiah Simmons (8) who play off ball LB taken in the top 20 since 2018. Every single one of them was a bad pick, relative to who else they could have taken, which is the point.

I’m not going to debate it. They are listed as LB’s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
And Devin white is a complete stud.