Say in Ain't So. Mets are selling the team

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Per reports the Mets are in negotiations to sell the team to Steve Cohen. Apparently if it becomes final the Mets will have the wealthiest owner in all of baseball. I almost drove off of Interstate 75 in Tampa this afternoon when the radio reported the news. This is like a dream come true. About 15 years late but a dream come true anyway. Of course the bad news is that it will be five years before the Wilpons give up the day to day operations of the team

Why would they do that. Are they going to spend like crazy over the next few years to leave their legacy as owners that did all they could do to get a World Series champion? I doubt that. I believe the next few years the team will sell off every major assest they have so the Wilpons can pocket as much money as they can. Think about it, if they cut payroll back to $100 million from their current $185 million, that would be over $300 million they could pocket. By the time they leave... the team will be a bunch of rookies and first year players with no significant money invested in the players. The next five years are going to be dark days but the end of the tunnel is at least in sight.

I have lost interest in the team in the past few years but this is great news for all Mets fans.

Go Mets!

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m piseed that it takes 5 more years to get rid of the Wilpon stench!