SBJ: Roger Goodell reportedly negotiating a contract extension past 2024

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
All true. Goodell took the foundation Rozelle had already established and helped the league profit upon it exponentially more. Rozelle did all the hard work of which Goodell has exploited by leaps-and-bounds.

1000% ....beat me to it
Whoever would have thought Amazon would be a player for TNF...Goodell has made the league a mega financial enterprise that turns anything it touches into gold.

Wonder how much he's getting......my guess is just under $100M per year

Doomsday101

Reaction score
All true. Goodell took the foundation Rozelle had already established and helped the league profit upon it exponentially more. Rozelle did all the hard work of which Goodell has exploited by leaps-and-bounds.

Because there are more outlets to use. When Rozelle took over there were only 3 major networks, now we see other networks bidding to get in on the NFL. I don't think that took much on the part of Goodell to make it happen. When Rozelle entered stadiums were barely half full but all that started to change as he was able to make the NFL more accessible to the fans.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can’t stand Goodell. Hoping his name is leaked in the Washington scandal and he gets canned somehow.

The league is corrupt and in need of some reforms, but Goodell has done very little to improve anything except the bottom line— which is apparently all the owners care about.

The league is a joke compared to what it used to be.

Or Jeffery Epstein island, who knows maybe Rogers name was on the guest list. lol

Creeper

Reaction score
Goodell is a puppet of a few owners IMO. They will pay him anything to keep him around because he is in their pockets when they need him. Personally, I think he is an awful commissioner with bad instincts. He has abandoned the core football fans and he is trying to replace them with transient fans, for fans who will hang around for a few years then depart for something else. Even his push for international fans, I think will fail in the long run.

But NFL owners are not interested in the opinions of some fans. They are interested in the growth of their bank accounts. No necessarily wrong, but definitely in conflict with most fans.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because there are more outlets to use. When Rozelle took over there were only 3 major networks, now we see other networks bidding to get in on the NFL. I don't think that took much on the part of Goodell to make it happen. When Rozelle entered stadiums were barely half full but all that started to change as he was able to make the NFL more accessible to the fans.
That is all true. I am not disputing any of it. However, the fact remains Goodell has overseen greater profit gains than Rozelle. To whom would the owners credit their far greater financial success to more? Rozelle? Or Goodell?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is all true. I am not disputing any of it. However, the fact remains Goodell has overseen greater profit gains than Rozelle. To whom would the owners credit their far greater financial success to more? Rozelle? Or Goodell?

comparing the dollar to 1960 to the 2021? I think Rozelle overall impact was much greater than what Goodell has done. I really do not see Goodell as a mastermind, I see him benefiting off the work others laid down before him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know some may not like hearing this but I think Jerry Jones has had a bigger impact on revenue for owners than Goodell.

Leigh Steinberg

No single individual, with the possible exception of the last two commissioners, has done more to create the current dominance of the NFL than Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday. His vision of what the NFL could achieve was ahead of its time, with television contracts, marketing, branding, memorabilia, franchise values, the NFL Network, harmonious relations with agents and the use of the internet. His energy, creativity and willingness to challenge tradition are partly responsible for the NFL's status as the nation's favorite sport and the Cowboys' status as the highest valued sports franchise in the world.

How Jerry Jones Helped Revolutionize The Modern NFL (forbes.com)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
comparing the dollar to 1960 to the 2021? I think Rozelle overall impact was much greater than what Goodell has done. I really do not see Goodell as a mastermind, I see him benefiting off the work others laid down before him.
That is an interesting question about the value of the dollar but it would be fair to compare the difference throughout their mutual tenures instead of a specific fiscal year.

There may be a continuing misunderstanding. I think Goodell's impact on the National Football League pales enormously in comparison to Rozelle's. My opinion of Goodell is that he is a fortunate opportunist and not some "brilliant visionary."

My previous commentary is like much of what I always say when suggesting what I think others think. I think the owners value Goodell much more than Rozelle for dollars he has put in their pockets since 2006-to-present. There is also the past media deflection Goodell manufactured on the owners' behalf that benefitted them also but I do not wish to discuss that aspect. In short, I believe the owners have held Goodell in higher esteem for what he has actually done for them over the past 16 years than the truly phenomenal league and professional football accomplishments attributed to the late great Pete Rozelle. Typically, dollar bills speak louder within the mind than memories from days long gone.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wikipedia

Roger Stokoe Goodell~ The NFL Owners Puppet
Wikipedia whines about donations constantly. Goodell is a multi-millionaire many times over. He should donate millions simply to keep anyone from editing his wiki page with "The NFL Owners Puppet." :muttley:

nobody

Reaction score
I don’t understand how the league is ok with his leadership. A monkey could make the owners money with this product. In every other way, Goodell is terrible.

He's what the owners want. He's exactly what they want. He's the figurehead to take the heat for them.

lkelly

Reaction score
Anyone that wasn't in a coma for the uncapped year garbage, the concussion whitewash, the Ray Rice situation, the Zeke situation, the Spygate (destroyed tapes) situation, the Rams relocation mess, the diversity facade, the massive Washington team debacle, the Miami pay-to-lose plan, and the rest of the Flores mess - if you can still look at his smarmy, punchable face and not feel the least bit nauseous, I don't know what to tell you. He may be the human shield that the owners like, but he's a steaming pile as the person in charge of the biggest sports league. I'm not sure I can think of much that he's done with integrity outside of some token photo ops with kids encouraging them to play for 60 minutes a day. My old gym teacher did that and he was straining societal norms when it came to the use of Bike shorts. To quote our resident narcissist owner, "There are 500 guys who could run the NFL and grow the owners a profit."

tyke1doe

Reaction score
$64 million for kissing owners' tails?
Tell me when and where to pucker up. ;)

sunalsorises

Reaction score
What could he possibly be negotiating? He already got free health insurance for life for his entire family and a private plane from the last negotiations. He just made $64 million. As far as I am concerned the negotiations should simply be, Do you want to keep making $64 million plus each year? Check this box for yes []

ghst187

Reaction score
I think NFL can do better than Goodell. The last 2 NFL commissioners Paul Tagliabue and especially Pete Rozelle were better commissioners that Goodell

but if any owner suggests that RG will enact vindictive, punitive revenge