Twitter: Schefter: Cowboys likely to release Cooper before the start of new league year

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This FO is pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow cut Amari, but Gallup also decides he wants to play elsewhere and we just get left with CeeDee and then we go into the season with CeeDee and some receivers we picked off the scrap heap from some other team.

Nah, if they cut Cooper they aren't going to lose Gallup. They'll at least put a tender or tag out there and keep him for another year

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This is stupid. I get the cap savings and I don’t know what if any follow up moves they’ll have but there’s no argument that losing cooper makes the team better after it’s done. Maybe after an offseason but we will see.

It's not about "getting better". This is what happens when you make bad decisions. He shouldn't have been given the contract he was signed to and his production does not justify his contract. Players on rookie contracts are blowing him out of the water. Other top WRs are blowing him out of the water.

If Dallas were to keep him solely for the sake of not getting any worse, they'd be absolutely no better than the team that didn't cut it and they'd have to sacrifice other roster spots to make it happen.

conner01

Reaction score
Why would cooper restructure for less money when he can test a FA market that will highly covet his services? You need to think about it from all angles.
Restructure isn’t less money
You just convert his base salary to bonus and it gets spread out
In fact it gets him money faster
Not advocating for him to be restructured but it does get him the same money, just faster and helps spread out cap hit

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dumbest team in the league. Why in the world would you announce this? Try to trade him. For anything. Also more proof that Jerry is a moron. Signs this guy to a big deal and releases him a year later. Beyond moronic.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
It's not about "getting better". This is what happens when you make bad decisions. He shouldn't have been given the contract he was signed to and his production does not justify his contract. Players on rookie contracts are blowing him out of the water. Other top WRs are blowing him out of the water.

If Dallas were to keep him solely for the sake of not getting any worse, they'd be absolutely no better than the team that didn't cut it and they'd have to sacrifice other roster spots to make it happen.
Have to pay Dak, Zeke, and maybe Dlaw.
Dumbest team in the league. Why in the world would you announce this? Try to trade him. For anything. Also more proof that Jerry is a moron. Signs this guy to a big deal and releases him a year later. Beyond moronic.
The Cowboy way.

CWR

Reaction score
I don't care about the numbers. We all know this offense struggled after Denver. There were exceptions, but we lost our ability to run. Now we are losing our best wr. We haven't fired Philbin or Moore, and it's hard to believe this offense will be better next season.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't care about the numbers. We all know this offense struggled after Denver. There were exceptions, but we lost our ability to run. Now we are losing our best wr. We haven't fired Philbin or Moore, and it's hard to believe this offense will be better next season.
Dak's left non throwing shoulder is fixed, that cures it all right??? I'm right, right?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Simple. They don't think they're getting 20 million dollar worth of receiver, whether it's Dak's fault or not.
if you want to get a pick or picks for him, someone has to be willing to trade for him, obviously no one is.

That's where we're at right now.

flyinghorse

Reaction score
Cooper to Rams….Sean already has plane tickets for he & Cooper to meet in Mexico…STAFFORD Throwing To COOPER….That’s a lot of record breaking and another Super Bowl my friends…..YOU KNOW Stafford Speed Dialed Sean the SECOND this news broke. Part of me would love to see Amari go to the Rams & win a Super Bowl next year….It would serve the Jones for being so damn short sighted. How Jerry became a billionaire is baffling????

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Before the Cowboys got Cooper in 2018 their receiving corps was a rookie Michael Gallup, Allen Hurns, Cole Beasley, Deonte Thompson, and Tavon Austin. Ugh.

Different situation now. If the Cowboys get rid of Cooper they will likely re-sign Gallup, still have CeeDee Lamb as the number one receiver, and have enough cap space to sign another veteran.

While I wish there was a way to keep Cooper his production no longer justifies giving up the $16 million of cap space that will be freed up by cutting him. Remember Lamb will be due for a new contract in a couple years too.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
This team’s management seems to operate as if they just started running a professional football team for the first time. This move makes me sense to me.

Cooper didn’t forget how to play and needs to ball directed towards him to make plays, and that falls on Dak and/or Kellen Moore….who I still have questions about.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The fact is this: Cooper is a supremely talented receiver but he is not elite. His production does not always match his talent level and the Cowboys are just now figuring out what the Raiders already knew in 2018. Even when he sparked this offense back then he would follow up a marquee performance with a five catch, 30 yard game.

Will the Cowboys be better by cutting Cooper? No. But they also won't be any worse off and will have a ton of extra cap space to re-sign guys that are actually producing. This might even create enough room to keep Dalton Schultz- the tight end position is looking very bare right now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is stupid. I get the cap savings and I don’t know what if any follow up moves they’ll have but there’s no argument that losing cooper makes the team better after it’s done. Maybe after an offseason but we will see.

The follow up moves will be Schultz, Gallup, and Gregory.