Twitter: Schefter: Cowboys likely to release Cooper before the start of new league year

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Simple. They don't think they're getting 20 million dollar worth of receiver, whether it's Dak's fault or not.
if you want to get a pick or picks for him, someone has to be willing to trade for him, obviously no one is.

That's where we're at right now.

Exactly. Nobody is going to give up a pick for Cooper and pick up that contract on top of it. It's time for Dallas to cut bait and move in another direction.

ESisback

Reaction score
I agree.
Dallas was stacked at WR. So much so that it almost diluted individuals
It would help if Gallup comes back fully healthy, as they expect him to.
Agreed. While I wish they could get something for Cooper, losing his production from the last 8 or 9 games shouldn’t hurt—just save a pile of money and put more focus on who’s left. Cooper’s biggest value to the fanbase now? Crying material for the Eeyores.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Ian Rappaport is now saying the Cowboys are in contact with receiver needy teams hoping to trade Cooper, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mark

Reaction score
Cooper should go...he wasn't being utilized here.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ian Rappaport is now saying the Cowboys are in contact with receiver needy teams hoping to trade Cooper, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I heard that they have been shopping him for 3 weeks and nobody wants him at this price.
So 32 of 32 teams dont want Cooper at 20 mil, yet our fans think we are screwing up

Maybe if Dallas absorbed some of the salary…

ESisback

Reaction score
This forum is hilarious.

1. Keep a high salaried, somewhat underperforming player.....FORUM: Idiot GM!, "we like our guys" whaaaaa
  2. Cut a high salaried somewhat underperforming player....FORUM: Idiot GM!, "how do we replace him"....whaaaaa

Yep! Cry either way, “validated” by early playoff exit!

Carson

Reaction score
$20 million to some of these teams doesn't hurt them at all.

Dolphins, Chargers, Jaguars are over $50 million. Jets and Bengals are at $48 million. Broncos, Colts, Seahawks, Washington are all over $30 million.

Teams didn't think guys like Wentz, Alex Smith etc would get traded. It will happen.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score

Fisher reporting this as well. Dallas speaking to teams in Indianapolis about cooper trade.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I heard that they have been shopping him for 3 weeks and nobody wants him at this price.
So 32 of 32 teams dont want Cooper at 20 mil, yet our fans think we are screwing up

Maybe if Dallas absorbed some of the salary…

I would think they would absorb some of the salary for an early draft pick or a package of picks. A 2nd for Cooper would be ideal, but I would settle for a 3rd and a conditional 2023 pick.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Poor timing for Amari's easy out of the contract for the Cowboys.

The players they should be getting rid of are Zeke and Dware but the timing is not right.

Poor management!

Carson

Reaction score
I would think they would absorb some of the salary for an early draft pick or a package of picks. A 2nd for Cooper would be ideal, but I would settle for a 3rd and a conditional 2023 pick.
I think right now, that would be pretty great to get. Hopefully an early 2nd (Jacksonville) or 3rd.

Cooper and Jarwin, would allow us to focus of Gallup, Gregory and Kearse.

Poor timing for Amari's easy out of the contract for the Cowboys.

The players they should be getting rid of are Zeke and Dware but the timing is not right.

Poor management!

It will be the same thing with as this next season with Zeke.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just depends on if they can get that offer.

Cmac

Reaction score
Every time this franchise takes a step forward......2 or 3 steps backwards follows. Par for the course.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
These buffoons have no idea how to build a team with the salary cap. They have no foresight, no ability to make any sort of trades (other than Jerry's one move of giving up 1st round picks for WRs), and they get bent over by any player they need to sign. They're idiots.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think right now, that would be pretty great to get. Hopefully an early 2nd (Jacksonville) or 3rd.

Cooper and Jarwin, would allow us to focus of Gallup, Gregory and Kearse.

It will be the same thing with as this next season with Zeke.
Yes it will. It better be anyway and I have always been in Zekes corner but he seems used up. If Jerry had just held his ground we would be in so much better shape and I think last year would have been the end of Zekes rookie contract!

fivetwos

Reaction score
In fairness many of us are saying the team needs to move on from under performing contracts, and if we are being honest, this is one of them.

It looks bad because there are more extreme examples currently on the team, but it so happens that Coopers agent allowed a structure that allowed the team to easily move on.

Others did not. I don't for a second believe that even our inept FO believes that Zeke is worth his money more than Cooper is, they just can't get out of it in any way that makes any type of sense.

This is way more about contract structure than on the field play.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Dumbest team in the league. Why in the world would you announce this? Try to trade him. For anything. Also more proof that Jerry is a moron. Signs this guy to a big deal and releases him a year later. Beyond moronic.
As an appetizer....Jimmy Johnson, Ken Norton Jr, RANDY MOSS, Quincy Carter, Joey Galloway, Wr Roy Williams, T.O., Marion Barber, Bradie James, Marco Rivera, Wade, Garrett, Eddie George. He's definitely a HOF moron.