Twitter: Schefter: Cowboys likely to use franchise tag on Prescott

snadler

Reaction score
Bell is an RB and a bit of a knucklehead. Who was the last QB to "holdout"? I can't think of one.

Also keep in mind the cowboys extended the RB on this roster, so this makes your argument invalid in the cowboys thinking

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We don't have a better QB behind Prescott because we haven't valued the backup QB position for quite some time.

You don't do this with a franchise QB, you take that hit. The most logical thing here is that Dak is waiting for the Mahomes contract, which will probably be an historic QB contract. We'll franchise Dak and continue contract talks from there.
No matter what we need to upgrade the backup.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
giphy.gif
:D

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Also keep in mind the cowboys extended the RB on this roster, so this makes your argument invalid in the cowboys thinking

LOL this isn't comparable. RB is not the cap hit the QB position is, it's apples and oranges.

snadler

Reaction score
Directly from Dak? Can you link me to this or was this a "rumor"? I very highly doubt this is the case. Because with this news from Schefter, that would add even more to my point that they aren't confident in Dak and OK with moving on.
Dak Prescott this week at the Super Bowl in Miami publicly flirted with the idea of withholding his services from the Dallas Cowboys this offseason while he awaits an improved contract offer that beats the "top-five QB money'' offer that the two sides almost agreed to in September.

"Report that," Dak said while making his media rounds, when asked about how he might not spend his offseason in Frisco. "Be sure to report that."

ESisback

Reaction score
They're so confident in Prescott that they won't give the young "great" QB the contract he wants. Yet, they gave an aging and injury prone Romo a contract.

This says a lot more than any of the babble that comes out of Jerry and Stephen. They aren't confident in what they have in Prescott.

A very thin line between confident in Dak and overpaying to the point of crippling the franchise’s potential for success. Dak can become insanely wealthy AND a successful winner, or wealthier on a perpetually average team.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing. I'm thinking a very good QB talent will fall to the Cowboys in the draft and they better be ready to pull that trigger if it needs pulling when the time comes.
If we let Jaylon sit around for 2 years as a LB @ 38, Tua/Fromm/Herbert deserve the same grace. Only the most imp on the field but we want to hold on like no teams try to improve.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak Prescott this week at the Super Bowl in Miami publicly flirted with the idea of withholding his services from the Dallas Cowboys this offseason while he awaits an improved contract offer that beats the "top-five QB money'' offer that the two sides almost agreed to in September.

"Report that," Dak said while making his media rounds, when asked about how he might not spend his offseason in Frisco. "Be sure to report that."

That doesn't exactly suggest what you're saying, event the direct quote from Prescott is basically "I'll talk to my agent". That's Fischer spin and speculation, about what I expected. Dak isn't going to holdout this year, he'll get guaranteed money while they can negotiate his second contract after the tag. The tag doesn't remove negotiations.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we let Jaylon sit around for 2 years as a LB, Tua/Fromm deserve the same grace. Only the most imp on the field but we want to hold on like no teams try to improve.
Except Jaylon was a second rounder. I don’t see them going 8-8 and then using their first round pick on a red shirt year.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
There will be other teams interested for sure..this is going to get ugly and disrupt all of next season unless something is done
Yep........no "leadership" being shown here.......the #1 trait you look for in a QB

snadler

Reaction score
That doesn't exactly suggest what you're saying, event the direct quote from Prescott is basically "I'll talk to my agent". That's Fischer spin and speculation, about what I expected. Dak isn't going to holdout this year, he'll get guaranteed money while they can negotiate his second contract after the tag. The tag doesn't remove negotiations.

how is it a spin if it’s a direct quote from Dak?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Except Jaylon was a second rounder. I don’t see them going 8-8 and then using their first round pick on a red shirt year.
High 2nd rounder but get your point in immediate impact. Taco gives me the okay on drafting a QB in the 1st if it presents itself.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. These "sources" could go either way.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Directly from Dak? Can you link me to this or was this a "rumor"? I very highly doubt this is the case. Because with this news from Schefter, that would add even more to my point that they aren't confident in Dak and OK with moving on.
He said it, out of his own mouth on Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen shows.