News: Schefter: Mike McCarthy Returning as Head Coach

DaleMc

Reaction score
I just read the article on NFL website, Jerry talks accountability for himself, coaches, players, front office but in reality, there is none. He wants a puppet and he has one, he thinks he can coach this team so he wants to keep someone he can control. I have been a fan of this team since the 60's/70's, damnit ajerry, you aren't the only one getting old as hell waiting for another title. You have proven to me with this you don't want to win, you want to continue to build your ego and pocketbook.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL.

The entertainment value of Quinn coming back would be priceless. This board would implode.
Oh I’m expecting it lol. They are not firing him and honestly they probably shouldn’t. If you aren’t firing Mike the you can’t fire Quinn.

Plankton

Reaction score
Or............ the guy in charge is hiring the wrong coaches.

Look at the list of coaches hired:

Parcells - we pulled him out of a TV studio. He was at the end of his run. It's not like we hired Parcells in his prime.

Dave Campo - Was terrible and the market bore that out as no one even considered him for another head gig. He bounced around as an assistant the rest of his career, never showing anything impressive in any of those stops.

Wade Phillips - Went back to being an assistant after being fired, never sniffed another head gig other than as an interim when the Texans fired their HC. That is until the XFL came calling and handed him a head job.

Jason Garrett - Despite protestations from some here claiming he would get snapped up immediately, Garrett never got another HC job again and is now in television because likely no one in the NFL sees value in him as a coach.

Chan Gailey - Bounced around again as an assistant after getting fired. Had an OK run at GT as a HC and then got the Bills job and bombed out there as well.

You'd have a much stronger argument if there was a trend of Jerry hired coaches going onto success elsewhere after coaching here. You could then make the case that the players here, the culture here held these guys back. But the reality is every coach we've hired since Switzer has either never seen another head job or if they did, didn't perform any better than they did here.

And this doesn't even begin to talk about all the assistants and coordinators Jerry hired and foisted upon his HCs. Monte Kiffin was a priceless one.

The issue isn't the players. It's the GM who just sucks at hiring coaches. So when he gives McCarthy that ringing endorsement and brings him back for another year, history tells me Jerry is just repeating his consistent mistakes when it comes to evaluating coaches.
Imagine if Jerry Jones' road roommate at Arkansas was Ken Hatfield instead of Jimmy Johnson. Yikes.

triplets_93

Reaction score
And let's say they pick up right where they left off and stink next season. McCarthy gets fired halfway through the season. Or, we compete but don't win the Super Bowl, which is all but guaranteed now. Then you've let actual proven head coaches slip through your fingers for no reason whatsoever. For one last wasted season? WHY???
Assuming that we could could even get to and Win an NFC Title, to then got to the SB... With this lax HC... That's some real dreaming right there !!!

Dak is the problem. Dak is only so good, and in the post season, Dak falters. Why? I don;t know. Doesn't matter. Winning in the post season matters. That's what!!

I'm so sick of the Cowboys Country Club Locker room.
But that's A-Okay with the GM/Owner.

:angry:

Bagman

Reaction score
As a fan for over 40 years, I understand the frustration but wishing death on someone is over the top.....just wrong IMO.
Agree. I clearly don't want anyone to die, but it's gotten to a point where as a fanbase, we're all waiting on the inevitable passing of the torch. Unfortunately, Stephen may be just as stubborn.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Agree. I clearly don't want anyone to die, but it's gotten to a point where as a fanbase, we're all waiting on the inevitable passing of the torch. Unfortunately, Stephen may be just as stubborn.
I used to think that Stephen would be worse, because he cares even less than Jerry. I used to think deep down, Jerry wanted to win. After today, I no longer believe that. He's said some dumb stuff before, but to actually speak the words that he thinks the best way forward is to bring back the same trash....the man does not care, at all.

mmohican29

Reaction score

Yes because it's too much work, self awareness, and ego sacrifice required of Jerry Jones to find a real football coach who can turn this entitled country club of a franchise back into a winner before he's dead.

Reaction score
I guess I must be one of the brain dead ones. I will watch training camp and all the games. How long I will watch each game is debatable. When they come out and lay an egg, I will turn the T.V. off.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And let's say they pick up right where they left off and stink next season. McCarthy gets fired halfway through the season. Or, we compete but don't win the Super Bowl, which is all but guaranteed now. Then you've let actual proven head coaches slip through your fingers for no reason whatsoever. For one last wasted season? WHY???
Like you said he won’t make it through the season if they stink it up. If Parcells couldn’t win with Jerry running the show no one will and he probably knows it. This is why he’s staying with McCarthy. Changing coaches never changes anything with the Cowboys. Jerry needs to change but he’s too stuck in his old ways to change. He still spins the same phony optimistic BS.

Wizarus

Reaction score
Knowing that nothing is changing is kinda depressing. Hard to look forward to next season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or............ the guy in charge is hiring the wrong coaches.

Look at the list of coaches hired:

Parcells - we pulled him out of a TV studio. He was at the end of his run. It's not like we hired Parcells in his prime.

Dave Campo - Was terrible and the market bore that out as no one even considered him for another head gig. He bounced around as an assistant the rest of his career, never showing anything impressive in any of those stops.

Wade Phillips - Went back to being an assistant after being fired, never sniffed another head gig other than as an interim when the Texans fired their HC. That is until the XFL came calling and handed him a head job.

Jason Garrett - Despite protestations from some here claiming he would get snapped up immediately, Garrett never got another HC job again and is now in television because likely no one in the NFL sees value in him as a coach.

Chan Gailey - Bounced around again as an assistant after getting fired. Had an OK run at GT as a HC and then got the Bills job and bombed out there as well.

You'd have a much stronger argument if there was a trend of Jerry hired coaches going onto success elsewhere after coaching here. You could then make the case that the players here, the culture here held these guys back. But the reality is every coach we've hired since Switzer has either never seen another head job or if they did, didn't perform any better than they did here.

And this doesn't even begin to talk about all the assistants and coordinators Jerry hired and foisted upon his HCs. Monte Kiffin was a priceless one.

The issue isn't the players. It's the GM who just sucks at hiring coaches. So when he gives McCarthy that ringing endorsement and brings him back for another year, history tells me Jerry is just repeating his consistent mistakes when it comes to evaluating coaches.
A lot of fans here want Belichick and he’s over the hill. Changing coaches isn’t going to help. It’s never helped! Jerry needs to pull back and let someone else run his team but he won’t do that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So the loss last Sunday is on the players?
Everyone part of the organization is responsible but I don’t believe changing coaches is going to make any difference. We continue to fail in the playoffs regardless the head coach. The biggest problem with the team is Jerry who wears too many hats. He undermines every HC.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It only worked with Switzer because like Jerry said, any of 500 coaches could win with that roster Jimmy built.
He inherited a great team and those players wanted to be the best.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
14-2 for Marty was when he was with the chargers. Lost to pats in the division round. 12-4 two years prior and lost to the jets in the wild card
I only covered his games in Cleveland. The Browns fired him for going one and done after two straight conference title appearances.