Schefter: No contract extension for McCarthy this offseason

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the many things that bothers me about how this has all played out is that it has saved Jerry $15m or so. I have issues with Jerry but never thought him to be cheap.

I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong on that too.
There was an article during the JG years that Jerry doesn’t like paying coaches that do not work for him. It takes an awful performance (like Phillips) for Jerry to eat the remaining portion of a coach‘s contract. So yes, I do think Jerry gets cheap with coaches. It has been also pointed out that he is that way with assistants too.

Kwyn

Reaction score
By not giving him an extension you’re letting him be a lame duck, showing you don’t fully believe in him

So in that case, what the hell is the point in having him back!
I thought people around here were always on board with “prove it” years?

Reactions: JPM

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao2:
Fans whine MM was not fired…now they whine because he was not given a new deal, so is a so called lame duck coach.

If he was extended, wow, can’t imagine the outrage.

Be happy it turned out this way. It is actually the best scenario. Except for the tear it all down and rebuild everything Crowd.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

full

Creeper

Reaction score
So Mike will be around until Dak's current contract expires. Coincidence? If Jerry extends Dak, it means nothing. He is just giving McCarthy one more chance to prove himself without Jerry having to commit any more money.

If he doesn't extend Dak, then I think they are both o a 1 year prove it arrangement. Maybe they are both gone after next season.

khiladi

Reaction score
It’s all about money with Jerry.

The only reason he’s coming back is the money/contract.

You either believe in him and give him an extension or fire him now and move on. We are just going to get to waste another year and then hire the next neutered puppet.
Yep, they’ve been cheap for years.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Accountability! Win the big game and get a new contract. Fail short of that, hit the unemployment line, pal! If only JJ had that kind of accountability.

slick325

Reaction score
Recipe for disaster. The players already know the HC is not the authority figure in Dallas, so, let's make him a lame duck and see how it goes after the most embarrassing playoff loss in recent team history.

Then factor in the HC candidates that you snub for a coach you aren't willing to extend. Boy, January 2024 may end up being a seminal moment in team history much like the day Jimmy and Jerry split up.

"Buy into us" this is the year! In Jerry we trust!

Cowboys!!!

Mannix

Reaction score
It's not like he doesn't have the money to pay off the last year of the Conman's contract....he had Fun Baby money to pay off an American Airlines Ticket Agent, and Janine Turner for Jerry Jr.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
One of the many things that bothers me about how this has all played out is that it has saved Jerry $15m or so. I have issues with Jerry but never thought him to be cheap.

I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong on that too.
He’s oddly cheap in a lot of circumstances. It’s clear winning isn’t his first priority.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There was an article during the JG years that Jerry doesn’t like paying coaches that do not work for him. It takes an awful performance (like Phillips) for Jerry to eat the remaining portion of a coach‘s contract. So yes, I do think Jerry gets cheap with coaches. It has been also pointed out that he is that way with assistants too.
The thing about Wade, though, I think Jerry was in a hurry to promote Garrett. That was the reason for the quick trigger.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Did this really need to be clarified? I think anyone who’s paid attention could’ve come to this conclusion. SMH.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
So if I'm a Lame Duck coach what would I do? Would I coach for other jobs, try to win a title, or say **** and just throw the season?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
24 is going to be a train wreck of epic proportions. No way Jerry finally participates in free agency for a lame duck coach. If the cheap $&@ didn't want pay his last year we would have started a go fund me page.