Schefter: Rex Ryan insists he did talk with Joneses about DC position, but did NOT interview

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
So Rex just ran into Jerry, said hi, and then this was blown out of proportion?....LOL.....now it makes sense. :huh:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay.

You're allowed not to believe Ryan. You're allowed not to believe me when I said what I just said... even allowed to believe what I just said, but consider it irrational that a hiring committee would talk to outsider consultants.

Free country.

(Of course.)

Sooooo... ???
Thanks for your permission.

You seem upset that I (and you) have never heard of a team talking to an available coach about their open coaching position but not interviewing that person.

Is he an unpaid advisor?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry is very insulated in the Dallas metro area as far as media lap dogs.

_sturt_

Reaction score
You seem upset
Upset? Why do I have to be upset? Quite the opposite... your comments come across like someone annoyed.

I'm just expressing what I have personal knowledge of, and based on that... and the fact that I and probably 99.99994% of the viewers of this thread have never been in an NFL decision-making room for any purpose... that it's not the silliest thing to be persuaded the characterization of the conversation as a "consulting" one is more accurate than to be persuaded it better characterized as "interviewing."

(Let's not forget, oh by the way... this is a TV guy at this point more so than he is a DC candidate.)

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But it happens in my world. And it's not weird.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Upset? Why do I have to be upset? Quite the opposite... your comments come across like someone annoyed.

I'm just expressing what I have personal knowledge of, and based on that... and the fact that I and probably 99.99994% of the viewers of this thread have never been in an NFL decision-making room for any purpose... that it's not the silliest thing to believe the characterization of the conversation as a "consulting" is more accurate than to consider it "interviewing."

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But it happens in my world. And it's not weird.
I'm upset because I (and you) have never heard of a team talking to a coach about their open coaching position without interviewing him?

I agree. It's not weird to do what's never been done in the league before. I mean, you've seen it at your job that has nothing to do whatsoever with this one. So naturally we should expect it.

An unpaid consultant. Someone needs to send a fruit basket or something to Rex for doing this.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
To be totally fair, we don't know that.

What we know is that the original report says one thing, Rex Ryan says another.

Don't know why it would be important to Ryan to lie about it, so I've been inclined, like you, to consider the reporter over-anxious to report a scoop, and presumed too much. But we'll see.
Guess the “foot joke” went over your head.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It's not weird to do what's never been done in the league before
You know that... how again???

I must have missed that explanation.

Unpaid consultant
You know that... how again???

Me, I don't know if a one time phone call would be considered billable hours. Possibly. Dunno. If it was paid, I'll go out on the limb and say I'm confident Jerry could have afforded it.

You're allowed to believe what you want to believe (... that's not permission so much as it's just stating an observation, of course). I find it specious logic to pretend (a) we would know about every call that any hiring committee makes... (b) that seeking outsider advice is weird/odd/unprecedented... and (c) that individuals looking for a scoop would never be predisposed to presuming something that, in reality, is a nothing burger.

Last edited:

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Rex had a top ten defense for 9 seasons out of 12. He’s the only coach to make the Jets relevant in half a century.
The cowboys could do a lot worse than Rex but it was all BS anyway.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Is he an unpaid advisor?
Yes. It happens all the time but having a conversation to get some insight or opinion doesn’t have to be raised to the level of “advisor”

It surprises me how the idea that this happens seems unusual to you.

Do you seriously believe that GMs and owners and coaches across the league don’t talk to people they know and ask their professional opinion?

Just this week I reached out to two people in my network and asked them about a director candidate that was being presented to me for consideration. You see, these two are respected in their field and have worked at some of the same companies as the candidate.

That hardly makes them “unpaid advisors”.

Some of you folks around here are deliberately obtuse and just arguing to argue.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Yes. It happens all the time but having a conversation to get some insight or opinion doesn’t have to be raised to the level of “advisor”

It surprises me how the idea that this happens seems unusual to you.

Do you seriously believe that GMs and owners and coaches across the league don’t talk to people they know and ask their professional opinion?

Just this week I reached out to two people in my network and asked them about a director candidate that was being presented to me for consideration. You see, these two are respected in their field and have worked at some of the same companies as the candidate.

That hardly makes them “unpaid advisors”.

Some of you folks around here are deliberately obtuse and just arguing to argue.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
Most valuable team in the world ran like a mom and pop shop lol

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Never heard that one before. They spoke but no interview. No questions were allowed.
I think it means they talked, but Rex was not personally asking for the job.

It sounds like Jerry asked Rex, "hey, which of these candidates do you think would be the best?"

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just want to Barf at this F/O.......................
Rim and Toilet times are here to stay....

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Makes a lot more sense...

... that is, that Jerry wanted to know more clearly what one of the Cowboys' fiercest media critics, who happen to be a former DC himself, thought about things.

This would be soooo typical, me mates, going for a "big" name, a retread who retired for a reason. No talent.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I don't believe Jerry would even consider hiring Rex. If you follow the Cowboys they only hire yes sir guys. Jerry doesn't hire tough hard nose coaches that don't bow down to him. That's why even a guy like Harbaugh wouldn't work here.