Schultz has earned TE1

Verdict

Reaction score
One of the biggest bright spots this season was the emergence of Dalton Schultz, who has proven to be a formidable TE and of starter quality. No reason to waste a top draft pick on a TE, give Schultz the offseason to improve even further and we got ourselves a reliable TE.

No one on this team should have “earned a spot” . Every position on this team should be earning their spot on a day by day basis -and no spot, including QB should be beyond being upgraded—AND —there should be as much competition at every position as possible, including QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look past the numbers, my good man. Schultz got open and caught the ball at an elite level. And that's w/ often iffy QB play. And was a surprisingly good YAC guy. And w/ the WR's catching a ton.

Anyway, we'll just have to see who's right on this going forward!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope he's better than the 40th rated TE per PFF. Seems that with 3 stud wrs running all over the secondary, any TE is going to be wide open.

Proof

Reaction score
You don't pass up on elite talent for 2nd tier defensive players. That's how you get Taco Charlton.
And Dallas offense as it currently sits can and have been shut down by good defenses.
Pitts will have a huge impact on this offense.
You will get a comparable defensive player in the second round that will be just as likely to be as good as anyone you take in the first round.

I don’t particularly but you’re going to get a comparable player in the 2nd, but even if true, it’s ok to get two. I think the offense will be amongst the leagues best w/ Dak and the line returning.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
You guys who think Schultz isn't good are batpoop crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude was a beast. How did you guys get this idea that every player has to be a downfield threat? Crazy.
Schultz was good for a first down when needed. Good consistent chain mover.

Proof

Reaction score
All good questions.. I think Pitts in this offense would be an absolute monster.. I'm talking Gronkowski type numbers monster.. He's such a big, fast, athletic pass catcher that it's hard to imagine any team being able to match up with him. But with that NBA frame of his he aint blockin nobody. So he becomes more of a really tall receiver than a tight end to me. Maybe as he fills out and bulks up a bit he could evolve into more of a blocker but those first two years he's going to be a liability if asked to block. And if you take him that high you aint puttin him on the bench to watch.. And it still doesn't help the defense at all. For that reason I would take any comparable defensive talent if it's even remotely close.
Adding 2 defensive players vs drafting Pitts isn’t going to do any good if the 2 players end up being average players. Any player we can add that will translate into points on offense will help some in overcoming our defense. Drafting Lamb not only equated into points but at least two wins last season. No way do we beat Atlanta without his catch and run in the closing minutes. Most of the great players we’ve drafted under Jerry we either stood pat to get them or we traded up. Trading down hasn’t worked well for us. You’re just reducing your odds on ending up with a good player.

Higher picks improve your odds which is why Philly chose to lose on Sunday night for a higher pick. Washington made the playoffs because of their defense, primarily their two defensive studs on the DL. We desperately need good players on defense but we can’t force picks defensively to try and fill needs or we’ll continue drafting average players on that side of the ball.

We traded down for Travis Frederick. Sure we could wind up with two avg defenders, and Pitts could wind up Njoku.

Hardline

Reaction score
I don’t particularly but you’re going to get a comparable player in the 2nd, but even if true, it’s ok to get two. I think the offense will be amongst the leagues best w/ Dak and the line returning.
Good defenses stopped our offense when it counted. I'm not satisfied with what we are running out there.
I also concede that we didn't have solid OL play either.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Good defenses stopped our offense when it counted. I'm not satisfied with what we are running out there.
Got to get the running game going again with a hopefully healthy OL.

Proof

Reaction score
I agree, but mediocre offenses torched our D lol.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
One of the biggest bright spots this season was the emergence of Dalton Schultz, who has proven to be a formidable TE and of starter quality. No reason to waste a top draft pick on a TE, give Schultz the offseason to improve even further and we got ourselves a reliable TE.
Agree,, Schultz has been outstanding.
You have to retain players that elevate their game every year, thats how you build a competitive team, with players that actually want to compete.

CWR

Reaction score
You don't pass up on elite talent for 2nd tier defensive players. That's how you get Taco Charlton.
And Dallas offense as it currently sits can and have been shut down by good defenses.
Pitts will have a huge impact on this offense.
You will get a comparable defensive player in the second round that will be just as likely to be as good as anyone you take in the first round.

Sadly I have to agree with you. If that scenario comes to fruition I hope we can instead manage a trade down.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jarwin is a better pass catcher with more speed, but Shultz exceeded expectations this year and looks like the better all around player. Look forward to seeing them both on the field next year.
Better pass catcher? How are you defining pass catcher? Schultz is better at getting open. I don't see Jarwin as better at actually catching the ball.

Right now, Schultz is the better player according to their play. Jarwin has not played enough to really rate, so all we have for him right now is predictions.