Twitter: Schultz Skipping Rest Of OTA's Due To Contract Frustrations

Mannix

Reaction score
But, but, but.....Dak can throw to anyone....he doesn't need any security blankets.

"I need to be better....I will be better"

Mannix

Reaction score
Let him walk....if they pay him big money, no other TE will see the field for the next 5+ years. He is NOT all that!!!

plasticman

Reaction score
Move on.

I was very impressed with Schultz's progression over the years, he obviously worked hard and took advantage of his opportunities. With that said, he is nothing close to elite. He is the product of good coaching and an offense designed to be prolific in the passing game. With the type of WR's and RB's the Cowboys have, it is very easy for defenses to overlook and that is exactly what has happened.

Seriously, let's say you have three Cowboys players around the middle of the field, CeeDee in the slot, Zeke coming out of the backfield, and Dalton Schultz. How are defenses going to prioritize that?

Schultz has made some great catches, yes. However, isn't that what a professional receiving TE supposed to do? Is Schultz a recognized asset when it comes to run blocking? How does he match up with the more successful TE's in the league?

Again, Schultz's stats are the product of the type of offense the Cowboys run. In addition, you would expect the TE to be used more often under the circumstances of last season when Dak had less time to throw.

If he gets to play one season under the franchise tag then he is extremely fortunate because he really doesn't deserve to be paid like a top five TE in the NFL.

Let him go, the Cowboys cannot afford to give elite money to an average player.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
giphy.gif

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Schultz isn't some irreplaceable higher end talent like a Kittle or Kelce.

Ferguson can probably replace him as easily as Schultz replaced Jarwin.
What makes you think Ferguson can replace a top 10 tight end? Who was top 5 statistically in 2022 and will have a chance at 90 receptions and 900 yards this season. If Ferguson can do that he would have been a first round pick.

birdwells1

Reaction score
On the surface it’s not that big a deal.....he wants a new deal and hasn’t got one so his agent recommends he does this. Overall pretty standard. The bigger issue for me is why the cowboys decided to go this route in the first place....Schultz had a good year and he’s a pretty good tight end.

he isn’t a game changer and he isn’t really a ceiling raiser Imo. Doesn’t block and doesn’t really make the defense give full attention to him. He catches a lot of balls and he’ll move the chain but he’s not really A YAC guy or some game breaker. To me he’s a huge beneficiary of the offense and others around him and to his credit he took advantage.

would have been fine if we didn’t bring him back this offseason or we went another direction.
Spot on!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The tight end position for Dallas in 2021 should have been the 4th or fifth target on most every passing down. I'd rather target Cooper, CeeDee, Gallup/Wilson or even Pollard but Dak was looking for the easiest target and that means that Schultz's numbers were inflated. I'd rather we'd signed O.J. Howard for 3 million than franchise Schultz for 11 million.

KEEP IN MIND MARKET VALUE IS THE CONTEXT ....

1. Market value is going to be based on what teams saw a guy produce, not on what some fans think the reason was that he produced.

2. Schultz was the 4th target when Cooper, Lamb and Gallup were all healthy and playing in 2020, and he still produced a more than the guys I mentioned. In 2021 he stepped up to tie with Cooper for the 2nd most targets because Gallup was hurt so much, and Cooper spent time on the sideline nursing injuries, but he still was only 16% of the targets, so it's not as if he was dominating Dak's focus.

3. It's fine if a fan doesn't care for Dak, but at least be fair. Dak wasn't 6th in the NFL in yards per game and 8th in yards per pass by only throwing to the easy target.

4. Schultz was franchised, and I agree with you that he should have been.

5. OJ Howard has been in the league 5 years. There is a reason he was only able to draw $3 million. He's just not the guy he was expected to be coming out of college.

birdwells1

Reaction score
KEEP IN MIND MARKET VALUE IS THE CONTEXT ....

1. Market value is going to be based on what teams saw a guy produce, not on what some fans think the reason was that he produced.

2. Schultz was the 4th target when Cooper, Lamb and Gallup were all healthy and playing in 2020, and he still produced a more than the guys I mentioned. In 2021 he stepped up to tie with Cooper for the 2nd most targets because Gallup was hurt so much, and Cooper spent time on the sideline nursing injuries, but he still was only 16% of the targets, so it's not as if he was dominating Dak's focus.

3. It's fine if a fan doesn't care for Dak, but at least be fair. Dak wasn't 6th in the NFL in yards per game and 8th in yards per pass by only throwing to the easy target.

4. Schultz was franchised, and I agree with you that he should have been.

5. OJ Howard has been in the league 5 years. There is a reason he was only able to draw $3 million. He's just not the guy he was expected to be coming out of college.

1. What does Dalton do that's special?

2. He's a good to average player so lets not pay him like he's elite.

3. Dak loves throwing to the slot and the tight ends, it's been that way since he got into the league. Beasley and Witten were his favorite targets early on.

4. This post says it all for me.

On the surface it’s not that big a deal.....he wants a new deal and hasn’t got one so his agent recommends he does this. Overall pretty standard. The bigger issue for me is why the cowboys decided to go this route in the first place....Schultz had a good year and he’s a pretty good tight end.

he isn’t a game changer and he isn’t really a ceiling raiser Imo. Doesn’t block and doesn’t really make the defense give full attention to him. He catches a lot of balls and he’ll move the chain but he’s not really A YAC guy or some game breaker. To me he’s a huge beneficiary of the offense and others around him and to his credit he took advantage.

would have been fine if we didn’t bring him back this offseason or we went another direction.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Dude doesn’t even deserve the tag…. Jerry will budge and give him a contract he doesn’t deserve and the team will regret by year 2 like the zeke deal
this is exactly i think will happen. the jones always cave in to there own drafted players and overpay them.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Of course I'm not a union guy but, for the life of me, I've never understood how what someone else is making has an impact on whether or not I agree with MY salary.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Another Jag Dak security blanket which of course we overpaid for with that Tag.
The only reason he had over 800 yards is our QB's lack of skill set esp utilizing downfield our WR to the max.
If he hits the fa market at some point after next season teams will not be outbidding each other for this TE!

Cwby41

Reaction score

First thing I thought of. I like Schultz but not at the franchise tag price and forget about what the Browns TE got. Let him come in and play on tag and move on. Not a great blocker at all, no speed, good hands and gets open but lets see what he does now that Gallup is out and Cooper is gone and he gets more attention.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jeez, it happens to 'em all -- as soon as they get some notable notoriety, the lust for the green stuff takes over. Here's hoping he'll eventually come back to earth and join his teammates in working hard to improve his mojo! Let's see if he's able to mold himself into a better blocker, aside from sitting out. o_O

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd extend his contract, personally.
5 year, 3 Million per year and 10 Million guaranteed. Or take the tag and shut it. Draft a TE next year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

3. Dak loves throwing to the slot and the tight ends, it's been that way since he got into the league. Beasley and Witten were his favorite targets early on.

AGAIN, CONTEXT IS MARKET VALUE ...

Among TE's he was 6th in the NFL in yardage and 4th in TD's. He produced. Obviously he doesn't have the kind of talent guys like Kelce and Kittle have, but he produces at a level that carries much more market value than the $5 million/year you suggested.

He's at least good, and I would say above average, but nobody is putting his market value in the Kelce/Kittle category anyway. Kittle signed a 5 year $75 million, $40 million guaranteed contract 2 years ago. Nobody is talking about paying Schultz like that 2 year old contract, much less what Kittle's market value would be today ($90 million with $50 million guaranteed?).

Yes, early on. At that time he averaged about 230-240 yards per game. But this isn't 2016 or 2017 is it? He's been more in the 280 to 300 yards per game range the last several years, and that doesn't happen just throwing dump off's to the TE.

What that post says is he is valuable, but not Kittle/Kelce/Andrews level. No argument from me on that. But that's not even remotely the level a player has to be for his market value to be double, or even more than double, the $5 million you suggested.

Last edited:

birdwells1

Reaction score
AGAIN, CONTEXT IS MARKET VALUE ...

Among TE's he was 6th in the NFL in yardage and 4th in TD's. He produced. Obviously he doesn't have the kind of talent guys like Kelce and Kittle have, but he produces at a level that carries much more market value than the $5 million/year you suggested.

He's at least good, and I would say above average, but nobody is putting his market value in the Kelce/Kittle category anyway. Kittle signed a 5 year $75 million, $40 million guaranteed contract 2 years ago. Nobody is talking about paying Schultz like that 2 year old contract, much less what Kittle's market value would be today ($90 million with $50 million guaranteed?).

Yes, early on. At that time he averaged about 230-240 yards per game. But this isn't 2016 or 2017 is it? He's been more in the 280 to 300 yards per game range the last several years, and that doesn't happen just throwing dump off's to the TE.

What that post says is he is valuable, but not Kittle/Kelce/Andrews level. No argument from me on that. But that's not even remotely the level a player has to be for his market value to be double, or even more than double, the $5 million you suggested.

Good well thought out post. I'll continue to say that in our offense the tight end "should" be the 3rd or 4th option but in the second half of the season when teams played more zone Dak struggled getting the ball to our wrs. I think that he is a good player but in Dallas his position "shouldn't" be valued as much especially last year. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

erod

Reaction score
This guy is Eric Bjornson, and Jerry is about to drop his drawers and pay him like he's Jason Witten.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It's just negotiations. Players hate the tag and Schultz is using what little leverage he has to work towards a David Njoku type deal.

I'm hoping the Cowboys are willing to let him ride out the tag and let him walk next season, but salary-dumping Amari Cooper go over $20M/yr and paying Schultz an Njoku $14M/year deal would be on script for the Cowboys FO.