Twitter: Scoring first was the key in Cowboys wins last year

birdwells1

Reaction score
Once that happened our offense just shrunk. All stats and numbers aside our offense fed off of our defense as far as energy and emotion. When our defense got scored on first our offense came out flat.

I still remember watching the first drive of the Buffalo game and their RB pushed our whole defensive line a couple yards for a 1st down. I said out loud, “we lost”. It was over, I knew this team didn’t have the stomach to bounce back. Same thing when Green Bay scored first.

If you go back and watch the swagger and body language of our offense when they score first or the defense gets a TO or score, it’s pretty staggering the confidence the offense plays with when it has momentum. It’s pretty scary watching our offense play from behind.

We need our defense to stop the run. That’s the key to our whole team IMHO.
This rights here!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Well we were 10-0 last year when scoring first. 2-6 when the opponent scored first.
Maybe someone else will jump in and see if that compares to the teams under Staubach and Aikman that actually won SBs and what happened in the playoffs. In the playoffs, defenses are usually better, teams more balanced. If Dallas scored first, I’m guessing teams like SF and Detroit would be much less likely to abandon the run.

Our Cowboys offense is more 1-dimensional than n the past. We can move the ball in the air, but our run game has no consistency and very little explosive threat. Our Cowboys defense has been 1-dimensional for a long time. We can defend the pass and rush the QB, but we are awful defending the run. Losing in the playoffs with an offense and defense that are 1-dimensional should not be surprising, not even with star players when most of those stars make their impacts mostly in the passing offense and defense only.

The Cowboys teams that have won SBs, lost SBs, or even played in the NFC championship have been more balanced with staunch defenses known for their DLs and offenses that had star RBs.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean to tell me they did not have time to rest after giving up a TD in 2 minutes and 45 seconds after halftime? Then followed up by a 1 minute and 36 touchdown?

Those long drives after the half really warn then out against GB.
Oh....the old but 2nd half! routine, eh?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Under 16ppg allowed by their defense in the playoffs too. I don't think it's any coincidence that the best defense in each conference made it to the superbowl. Extremely difficult to win in this league without a strong defense.
^^^^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE. As you stated TP, the best defenses in each conference made it to the SB. I have argued all off-season, as great as Pat Mahomes is, the chiefs don’t win that SB without their defense.

In last year’s SB, the chiefs trailed 10-0 in 2nd qtr, scored 3 points in the first half, and their 5 possessions in the first half were punt, punt, punt, fumble, and FG. The chiefs defense kept them in that game long enough for the chiefs offense to wake up in the second half, where they scored 16 points in qtrs 3 and 4 and 6 in OT. While the chiefs D held the niners offense to 12 points in second half AND OT.

Defense still matters…a ton.

Chasing6

Reaction score
^^^^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE. As you stated TP, the best defenses in each conference made it to the SB. I have argued all off-season, as great as Pat Mahomes is, the chiefs don’t win that SB without their defense.

In last year’s SB, the chiefs trailed 10-0 in 2nd qtr, scored 3 points in the first half, and their 5 possessions in the first half were punt, punt, punt, fumble, and FG. The chiefs defense kept them in that game long enough for the chiefs offense to wake up in the second half, where they scored 16 points in qtrs 3 and 4 and 6 in OT. While the chiefs D held the niners offense to 12 points in second half AND OT.

Defense still matters…a ton.
Every loss KC had last year the D gave up 22 or more points.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Majority of our losses are when we give up 28 points or more. When is the last time we lost a game giving up 17 points?
Interesting response considering how many points we shifted in the two SF play-off losses. How about finding some causal links, rather than the usual one-eyed Pro-Dak stat that deflects away from him? It's plainly obvious that Dak struggles when he has to move out of his comfort zone....so teams put everything into scoring early and good teams can force Dak out AS PER JIMMIE WARD's quotes.

“We went in there and did what we needed to do: Stop the run and force them to be one-dimensional. See if Prescott could win the game for them,” Jan 2022

"“Dak isn’t good against zone [coverage]....... we went out there, and from the very first snap, the energy was on 10,” Jan 2023.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Interesting response considering how many points we shifted in the two SF play-off losses. How about finding some causal links, rather than the usual one-eyed Pro-Dak stat that deflects away from him? It's plainly obvious that Dak struggles when he has to move out of his comfort zone....so teams put everything into scoring early and good teams can force Dak out AS PER JIMMIE WARD's quotes.

“We went in there and did what we needed to do: Stop the run and force them to be one-dimensional. See if Prescott could win the game for them,” Jan 2022

"“Dak isn’t good against zone [coverage]....... we went out there, and from the very first snap, the energy was on 10,” Jan 2023.
It has nothing to do with Dak. Any QB is going to struggle having to score 28+ points a game.

Go look at all of KC losses last year. All are when the D gave up 22 or more points. Did Dak play for KC or was it the great Mahomes?

plasticman

Reaction score
Very true. Even though they are professionals, I think scoring first also has an effect on morale and confidence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is one facet that I'm hoping Zimmer can bring. Quinn's strategy was good when we had a lead, but then, most defences can be really good when you score first. What we need is to be able to evolve this defence to handle both playing with a lead and playing from behind.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the aggressive nature of DQ. However, I felt that his style during deficits wasn't great. I'm hoping for a more evolved defence that can handle playing from behind as well and playing in front. Id also like to see us play better in short yardage situations. In situations where we knew the pass was coming, we were one of the best in teams defending it. That's where most of our picks came from. However, the defence was overly reliant on turnovers. I want us to still get a lot of turnovers, but I also want us to be better able to make short yardage stops. Especially in the run.