Twitter: Scoring first was the key in Cowboys wins last year

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely great post, we were made to play defense with a lead when we got behind and teams dedicated themselves to the run it was game over.
Yep. It's why we struggled against better teams and better talent. A team like the Giants..no matter what they did they were never beating us. Too much of a talent discrepancy. I'd turn those turnovers over for a more stout defense.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree, but half our fans can't recognize that and think Mahomes carried the entire team and they can't understand why Dak can't carry the entire team by himself.
Under 16ppg allowed by their defense in the playoffs too. I don't think it's any coincidence that the best defense in each conference made it to the superbowl. Extremely difficult to win in this league without a strong defense.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not saying Mahomes is not a difference maker. But it is much easier to be a difference make when you D gives up 17 points, then being a difference maker when you D gives up 30+.

Why would you panic only giving up 17 points?
Are you forgetting Mahomes and his offense put up points when they needed them against the #1 defense? That's the mark of a great QB, great offense and great defense.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Under 16ppg allowed by their defense in the playoffs too. I don't think it's any coincidence that the best defense in each conference made it to the superbowl. Extremely difficult to win in this league without a strong defense.
Agreed.
I also think a team doesnt make it to the super bowl easily when the qb gives the other team 14 easy 1st half points. Good defense or not.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Are you forgetting Mahomes and his offense put up points when they needed them against the #1 defense? That's the mark of a great QB, great offense and great defense.
I watched the SB. Chiefs got lucky with a muffed punt inside Niners 15 and a missed extra point. That allowed the game to go into OT. Mahomes was not on the field for either of those plays.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wont say that you're wrong, I just struggle to say defense bad, offense good while the parallels between the two units are vast. It's the same arguments for both sides of having really good stats, one dimensional units, weak in the trenches with and against the run, and took advantage of a weak schedule last season. Both units had some respectable showings against quality teams (2nd philly game, Detroit, LA), but also some total clunkers against quality teams (SF, Buffalo, GB).

It really just becomes the football version of the chicken or the egg argument. It starts to get into a different discussion but ultimately both units needed help this offseason if they are going to be top 5 in point differential once again this year as both units probably over achieved a season ago given their weaknesses.
I'm not saying one is bad and one is good. I'm actually saying the opposite. I expect more from the offense than the defense. They both have similar flaws. The physical play on both sides of the ball or lack there of is a huge issue. Neither is capable of getting punched in the face and fighting back.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying one is bad and one is good. I'm actually saying the opposite. I expect more from the offense than the defense. They both have similar flaws. The physical play on both sides of the ball or lack there of is a huge issue. Neither is capable of getting punched in the face and fighting back.
YEP!

We should be more in control on our offense...be OFFENSIVE!

We're just too soft. Seems like starts at the top?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I watched the SB. Chiefs got lucky with a muffed punt inside Niners 15 and a missed extra point. That allowed the game to go into OT. Mahomes was not on the field for either of those plays.
Not to mention KC fumbled 5 times that game. Mahomes is the best QB in football right now, but KCs offense is very lucky they were in position to win that game, I agree completely.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not to mention KC fumbled 5 times that game. Mahomes is the best QB in football right now, but KCs offense is very lucky they were in position to win that game, I agree completely.
I recall both teams had 2 turnovers. Including McCafrey on the opening drive inside KC's 20.

Niners should have won this game.

Motorola

Reaction score
So this brings up the question. Take the ball or defer?
Yeah this was a big debate. These stats back up why they take the ball first.

You defer, defense makes a stop. Then offense scores. Or take the ball first as fans freak out, and then score first.

Every game fans freaked out because we did not defer. Even if the opponent won the coin toss and deferred, so we go on offense first. They still freaked out.
They did defer at times though. Fans were calm.

So if we take the ball first to score first, will this change that mind set.

:laugh:
Interesting topic, @Bobhaze. I'm curious how often the winner of the coin toss wins the game. As the league gets closer to its goal of parity, I would think that percentage would be approaching 50%.
After looking at the team’s recent history, taking the ball first makes sense.
Back in the stone age of American Football = pre 1990s...teams that won the coin flip ALWAYS selected to receive the kickoff - on all levels - youth recreational, organized state school districts (Middle, Jr Hi, HS), college \ university programs, professional leagues.
But then with head coaches on all levels creating teams that had dominant, intimidating defenses, it became the "de rigueur" to defer giving the opening offensive possession to the opponent.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That was the real warning sign. When your defense could lose that team, you know you have some serious issues.
Any team that plays the Cowboys in 2024 should run the ball down our throats. Any team that does not do this has bad coaching. Even mid level backs can dominate this defense. Even if the Cowboys jump out to a lead, teams should still insist on running it. It will work nearly every game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Scoring first was a key to our wins and allowing the opponent to score first on their opening drives was a key to our blowout losses.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Scoring first was a key to our wins and allowing the opponent to score first on their opening drives was a key to our blowout losses.
That all starts with our bad running game. I think we would have lost more games last year if teams simply didn't fear our early lead, and kept running the ball. The book is out, and only teams with bad coaching that wasn't paying attention last season will miss that. Our run defense will be even worse this season as it looks right now.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any team that plays the Cowboys in 2024 should run the ball down our throats. Any team that does not do this has bad coaching. Even mid level backs can dominate this defense. Even if the Cowboys jump out to a lead, teams should still insist on running it. It will work nearly every game.
Its not the mid level rbs that beat us. Evenbelow avererage can.
We get beat in the trenches. We get locked up or over persuit and then have no beef at lber. Boom....2 yard gains become 8.