Scotch season is officially on

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The turning of the foliage and pitter patter of little feet across your lawn to ring your doorbell, making the dogs bark and annoying the hell out of you just for a sugar fix signals not only All Hallow’s Eve but the official kick off of scotch season and the darker liquors in general.

What’s that you say? You didn’t know there was a season? My wife and I established this years ago as we’d sit outside awaiting the arrival of those little feet while sipping scotch and ingesting fun size Snickers, the perfect pairing. What I don’t get is the term “fun size” because I can have a lot more fun with a big candy bar.

Who is this man to say there is a scotch season you ask? Well, let me tell you just who he is. He is a member in good standing, sitting or falling down of The Academy of Malt Scotch Whiskey since August, 10, 1978 and has the certificate to prove it so cast your doubts aside. He also speaks of himself in the third person because many times he sees more than one of himselves.

So, raise your glass my friend whether that be a blend like Chevas Regal, my wife’s favorite, or Johnny Walker Black, mine, or the change of pace of a fine single malt like Glenmorangie or Balvanie. Pull up a chair, allow me to pour you a glass and offer you a fine hand rolled on the thighs of virgins’ cigar and let us regale ourselves with the joy of fine friends and fine spirits.

I would be remiss to not welcome our bourbon drinkers to their season as well. I just got back into that fine distilled spirit about 5 years ago while having 3 fingers of Woodford Reserve, the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby and thoroughbreds are known to have exquisite taste in bourbon. And just this last month had Longbranch from those fine folks at Wild Turkey and I highly recommend it.

Please drink responsibly and since I live alone and am the only one responsible for myself. I will be my own judge of responsibly. I never drink and drive because once I get to imbibing, there’s no place I’d rather be.

Cheers! Salud! Salut! Skal! Prost! Prosit! Bottoms up and here’s mud in your eye!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Summer = tequila & vodka
Winter = bourbon & scotch
Yep and more red wine then white in the fall and winter months.

However, let me be clear, this does not signal the change, dropping vodka and tequila, but the addition of bourbon and scotch.

This also affects beer. More imports from Europe are purchased once the season changes and brewers like Sam Adams and Shiner have helped that along. Sam’s, I am on a first name basis with him, Octoberfest is exceptionally good this year and I look forward to their Winter Lager. They are really good with meat and cheese platters. A generous spoonful of hot mustard followed by a slug of Octoberfest is special.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The turning of the foliage and pitter patter of little feet across your lawn to ring your doorbell, making the dogs bark and annoying the hell out of you just for a sugar fix signals not only All Hallow’s Eve but the official kick off of scotch season and the darker liquors in general.

What’s that you say? You didn’t know there was a season? My wife and I established this years ago as we’d sit outside awaiting the arrival of those little feet while sipping scotch and ingesting fun size Snickers, the perfect pairing. What I don’t get is the term “fun size” because I can have a lot more fun with a big candy bar.

Who is this man to say there is a scotch season you ask? Well, let me tell you just who he is. He is a member in good standing, sitting or falling down of The Academy of Malt Scotch Whiskey since August, 10, 1978 and has the certificate to prove it so cast your doubts aside. He also speaks of himself in the third person because many times he sees more than one of himselves.

So, raise your glass my friend whether that be a blend like Chevas Regal, my wife’s favorite, or Johnny Walker Black, mine, or the change of pace of a fine single malt like Glenmorangie or Balvanie. Pull up a chair, allow me to pour you a glass and offer you a fine hand rolled on the thighs of virgins’ cigar and let us regale ourselves with the joy of fine friends and fine spirits.

I would be remiss to not welcome our bourbon drinkers to their season as well. I just got back into that fine distilled spirit about 5 years ago while having 3 fingers of Woodford Reserve, the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby and thoroughbreds are known to have exquisite taste in bourbon. And just this last month had Longbranch from those fine folks at Wild Turkey and I highly recommend it.

Please drink responsibly and since I live alone and am the only one responsible for myself. I will be my own judge of responsibly. I never drink and drive because once I get to imbibing, there’s no place I’d rather be.

Cheers! Salud! Salut! Skal! Prost! Prosit! Bottoms up and here’s mud in your eye!
You write cool CC:D

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Every season is scotch season for me. I'm almost exclusively a whiskey drinker and really only like beer or wine with a meal. I dabble in several of the brown spirits, but bourbon and scotch are the big two. My every day single malt is The Famous Grouse. I was in a pub many years back in St. Andrews and that's what the locals were drinking. It's affordable and a really good moderate level scotch. If I'm drinking a more high end scotch I like both Glenmorainge and The Balvenie. For blends I like plain ole Johnny Walker black.

My bourbon of choice is Buffalo Trace. I really don't venture too far away from that one because it is so good, but will occasionally change things up with Bulleit bourbon.

I also enjoy fun size Snickers, but Paydays where it's at.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every season is scotch season for me. I'm almost exclusively a whiskey drinker and really only like beer or wine with a meal. I dabble in several of the brown spirits, but bourbon and scotch are the big two. My every day single malt is The Famous Grouse. I was in a pub many years back in St. Andrews and that's what the locals were drinking. It's affordable and a really good moderate level scotch. If I'm drinking a more high end scotch I like both Glenmorainge and The Balvenie. For blends I like plain ole Johnny Walker black.

My bourbon of choice is Buffalo Trace. I really don't venture too far away from that one because it is so good, but will occasionally change things up with Bulleit bourbon.

I also enjoy fun size Snickers, but Paydays where it's at.
Damn Jimmy, brothers of different mothers. Never tried the Payday with scotch because the chocolate added a nice finish to the scotch but that does sound good because that adds the element of salt.

The Glen aged in the Sherry oak is very good but with a really good cigar, a snifter of The Balvenie 18 on a cool evening is heavenly.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Damn Jimmy, brothers of different mothers. Never tried the Payday with scotch because the chocolate added a nice finish to the scotch but that does sound good because that adds the element of salt.

The Glen aged in the Sherry oak is very good but with a really good cigar, a snifter of The Balvenie 18 on a cool evening is heavenly.

Identifying good whiskey is easy. I like to try identifying good rotgut whiskey. For rotgut bourbon I'm a fan of Four Roses at $17 and Evan Williams at $13. If you're pouring a Coke over it who cares? Cheap scotch is a little harder but I grew up sneaking shots of my dad's Cutty Sark at $17 and can live with it in a pinch.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Identifying good whiskey is easy. I like to try identifying good rotgut whiskey. For rotgut bourbon I'm a fan of Four Roses at $17 and Evan Williams at $13. If you're pouring a Coke over it who cares? Cheap scotch is a little harder but I grew up sneaking shots of my dad's Cutty Sark at $17 and can live with it in a pinch.
Hell, I started out on J&B and then onto Pinch.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Heck yes

Nothin better than sitting around a fire on a crisp night with a glass (or three) of scotch.