Scott Gragg RT; Your thoughts?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Your thoughts?

Mickey said he was spotted a Valley Ranch at sometime. Obviously we have contacted him in some form.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Your thoughts?

Mickey said he was spotted a Valley Ranch at sometime. Obviously we have contacted him in some form.

Yep, do it. Shouldn't cost much. Has some experience and can ease the transition to Petitti (who I think eventually lands that job).

jsond

Reaction score
I like the idea of bringing him in for the good ol 1 yr contract w/ incentives as he has good experience. This will give Pettiti a yr to learn as I just don't see him improving enough in 3 preseason games to be ready to start but I love his potential. It's obvious Rogers can't be counted on. Would love if he could then I would say 'no' to Gragg. Many teams are unproven at RT so if we wait too long he may already be signed. As long as we don't overpay I am all for it.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
He's probably not the answer, but at this point I'd rather have Gragg in camp than Tucker. Tucker is just wasting space at this point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Your thoughts?

I don't think it would be a bad move. I also would not mind seeing Verba lined up next to Rivera considering they have played side by side in the past so there is a familiarity playing with each other. If Dallas does plan on bringing in a vet at RT they will need to do so quickly to allow whoever some time to get into shape and have an understanding of the offense

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Your thoughts?

"If he's any good, why is he available?"
-Mickey Spagnola

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
Yep, do it. Shouldn't cost much. Has some experience and can ease the transition to Petitti (who I think eventually lands that job).
This is exactly what I was thinking.
10 or 11 years experience at which he started nearly every game and 6'8"...
sounds like an excellent stop gap for a year or two while Petitti improves and learns behind him. Cut Tucker now. I like Petitti's size and potential, too but it's just too soon to throw him into the fray.

He wouldn't be a longterm solution and we would have an aged O-Line but at least it would be one of the most experienced and prepared lines in the NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Glenn Carano said:
"If he's any good, why is he available?"
-Mickey Spagnola

Many of these guys were cap casualties. That is why they are available, age and cost can force a teams hand to release players that otherwise would have had a place on the team prior to FA and Salary Caps

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Many of these guys were cap casualties. That is why they are available, age and cost can force a teams hand to release players that otherwise would have had a place on the team prior to FA and Salary Caps

Tell that to Mickey. If he never utters those words again, I'd be happy.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be opposed to Gragg, but I don't know much about him.

Ross Verba seems stupid to me. He bought a ticket out of Cleveland thinking he could get a big money deal. And now he has no job and is fully prepared to sit out a year until he gets it. Also read how he threw a wet t-shirt party in Vegas and gave away $10k a piece to all the girls who participated because he couldn't pick a winner. So I say no to him.

Chris Terry seems talented enuff, just has had some injuries that I don't think I would go for. But I think I'd personally toss a turnstile thru Tucker's windshield, if he started at RT again. So for a very incentive laden deal, I'd say go for it.

Not sure what other candidates are out there, but if Rogers can't play thru a hangnail, we gotta get somebody who can hold down the fort.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Glenn Carano said:
Tell that to Mickey. If he never utters those words again, I'd be happy.

In ways Mickey is right that these guys are not in their prime any longer but that does not mean they can't come in and fill a position that maybe a younger player is struggling at.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
We probably keep no more than 4 OT's on the roster. I think Pettiti, Flo & Vollers will get spots. I believe Gragg will be brought in when Parcells is officially ready to release Jacob Rogers.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
We probably keep no more than 4 OT's on the roster. I think Pettiti, Flo & Vollers will get spots. I believe Gragg will be brought in when Parcells is officially ready to release Jacob Rogers.

I think you are right on track here. After my first post, I started thinking about the numbers game. No way they keep 5. Flo is a lock, I think Vollers is a lock because BP wants him to be the swing backup. I don't think he gives up on Petitti yet. That leaves Rogers as the odd man out.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2005/08/10/sports/sports02.txt

Gragg had visited with Detroit and Pittsburgh, and said that talks with the Steelers are ongoing. He said more recently, New Orleans and Dallas have contacted him. The 315-pound left tackle feels he'll find a job, but he'd rather have it sooner than later.

Dated August 9.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
I think you are right on track here. After my first post, I started thinking about the numbers game. No way they keep 5. Flo is a lock, I think Vollers is a lock because BP wants him to be the swing backup. I don't think he gives up on Petitti yet. That leaves Rogers as the odd man out.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2005/08/10/sports/sports02.txt

Dated August 9.

Or Tucker who was the guy that got in Parcells dog house sat

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
We can be competitive with improved OL play. How many boneheaded penalties put us out of scoring position last year, impacting momentum and the final outcome of the game? Keep tweaking it Bill until we get this thing fixed.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Sign him NOW....Would be give much more peace of mind having a long time Veteran out there on the right side next to Rivera... DO IT!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I would give Gragg the vet minimum for 1 yr. Nothing more, he isn't in any position to expect anything more and the nfl would give them back a vet rebate.

Reaction score
Good posts...
I question how effective Gragg might be and his health?
If he passes that test, then he might be an option...

Jerry said recently that Tucker still has so much potential...Its a shame he hasn't been able to put it together mentally...

Rogers has the mental makeup but lacks the toughness or body to play through this tough sport it seems so far...

Vollers is a backup and nothing more...

Pittdawgs son Rob is a year away IMHO...A full offseason in the weight room and learning the RT spot should pave the way for him to excell...Next year...

So if a vet like Gragg is healthy & in shape enough, sign him up, we do need to gell to be able to be effective come that first game vs SD!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
He's probably not the answer, but at this point I'd rather have Gragg in camp than Tucker. Tucker is just wasting space at this point.

agree 100%...and I think virtually any other coach would have probably cut Tucker already...guy is one of the worst OL I've ever seen line up here, but Parcells loves him for some unknown reason

David

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chris Terry seems talented enuff, just has had some injuries that I don't think I would go for. But I think I'd personally toss a turnstile thru Tucker's windshield, if he started at RT again. So for a very incentive laden deal, I'd say go for it.

You have been hanging around with Hos too much lately :D