Twitter: Scott Linehan tweetcap - 10/22/15

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
People just don't like Randle, it has nothing to do with his ability. The honest answer is we still do not know what we have in Randle yet and we won't know until Romo gets back along with Dez.

3 year rule? I think it's pretty obvious what we have in Randle he has 180 career attempts we know what he is. Murray did more his rookie year with a165 attempts then Randle has in 3 years (180 career attempts). Murray did that with an O-line that was being gutted and a rookie OL in Tyron Smith. Randle has 3 first rd picks and a guy who was suppose to be a first rd blocking for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
3 year rule? I think it's pretty obvious what we have in Randle he has 180 career attempts we know what he is. Murray did more his rookie year with a165 attempts then Randle has in 3 years (180 career attempts). Murray did that with an O-line that was being gutted and a rookie OL in Tyron Smith. Randle has 3 first rd picks and a guy who was suppose to be a first rd blocking for him.

I agree. Anyone who was thinking that the run game would improve with Randle over Murray was mistaken. Randle is good as a role player at best. He is not a tough runner who will punish the defense. If there is a hole he can do well but as far as moving the pile and grinding out tough yards that is not Randle

Have to say I was amused at all the talk of plug and play and leaving meat on the bone. Dallas will have to hope or rely on lesser RB to win.

sacase

Reaction score
I agree. Anyone who was thinking that the run game would improve with Randle over Murray was mistaken. Randle is good as a role player at best. He is not a tough runner who will punish the defense. If there is a hole he can do well but as far as moving the pile and grinding out tough yards that is not Randle

Have to say I was amused at all the talk of plug and play and leaving meat on the bone. Dallas will have to hope or rely on lesser RB to win.

I will agree that Randle is not a move the yards kind of guy and he is not who you want in short yardage. However, with that said I think he is much more explosive than Murray. If Murray was still here, our running game would be the same or worse. I want to see that last couple games with Randle Romo and Dez. That will be where I will judge his ability. I do think he belongs in the NFL, its just a question of how much of the load he can carry.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I want to see what Michael can do, we all are fooling ourselves to think after he was replaced with a 34 year old RB' then brought here. And after a whopping 2 carries in 2 games, he was going to then start at RB.
He will need to prove himself on the opportunities he gets, and then go from there.

Not knocking him, it's just the way it works. And can't blame the coaches. It works this way all places. Unless a team is pretty much out of the playoffs, and they want to see what they have in players going into next year. You are not going to have too many changes unless it's a total disaster. Which it is not.
But I know some will say it is regardless.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I really don't get why they continue to give Randle the bulk of the carries?

This is due to garret thinks he is best RB.
JG would have stayed with weeden, but was pressured to go with cassel.
I would start CM and find out what he has to offer, and then if not better than randle, you can always go back to randle.

If CM only gets a carry here and there, you cant evaluate that.
Maybe if he gets 2 possessions, but what if they are 3 and outs. with only 1 carry each time for him?

My feeling is JG does not care for CM for some reason. I doubt he wanted him here.

Zman5

Reaction score
Yeah, that "Beasley is uncoverable" talk went away real quick. DBs are getting more physical with him at the point of attack. Still like the guy, but the preseason praise was a bit much.
TWill has been disappointing lately too.

No doubt, so much of this is Romo not being there. But come-on guys, help out.

If you some recall, he marched the team down for two 4th qtr TDs (and the game -winner) without Dez last time they faced NY.

NE WR's weren't getting open either until their coaches did something about it.

It's pathetic how our coaches can't help these guys get open with better scheme.

Zman5

Reaction score
People just don't like Randle, it has nothing to do with his ability. The honest answer is we still do not know what we have in Randle yet and we won't know until Romo gets back along with Dez.

That is ridiculous. Do you think people will say the same things had he had several 100 yard games in a row and he was the reason the drives were sustained?

He may play better with Romo. Then again he may play same/worse. No one knows. But what we know is he isn't getting it done with the current players. We need to find someone who can help sustain drives, help being ahead of the chains and make it little easier for the backup QB now.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If Michael comes in and starts running the ball down the Giants throats, he will get plenty of carries.

If he's playing well, he'll find himself in the first backs role in no time. He just has to show that he is the best. If he does that, he'll be number 1.

Zman5

Reaction score
As much as I want to see what Michael can do, we all are fooling ourselves to think after he was replaced with a 34 year old RB' then brought here. And after a whopping 2 carries in 2 games, he was going to then start at RB.
He will need to prove himself on the opportunities he gets, and then go from there.

Not knocking him, it's just the way it works. And can't blame the coaches. It works this way all places. Unless a team is pretty much out of the playoffs, and they want to see what they have in players going into next year. You are not going to have too many changes unless it's a total disaster. Which it is not.
But I know some will say it is regardless.

Amahn Green was traded to GB by the Seahawks because he couldn't beat out then a 31 year old Ricky Watters. Green turned out ok for GB.

Not saying CMike will be another Green but you can't base how a player will do in the future by a move that was made by other teams front office. We need to see it for ourselves.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If Michael comes in and starts running the ball down the Giants throats, he will get plenty of carries.

If he's playing well, he'll find himself in the first backs role in no time. He just has to show that he is the best. If he does that, he'll be number 1.

This and this and this. Everything else is hyperbole.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Amahn Green was traded to GB by the Seahawks because he couldn't beat out then a 31 year old Ricky Watters. Green turned out ok for GB.

Not saying CMike will be another Green but you can't base how a player will do in the future by a move that was made by other teams front office. We need to see it for ourselves.

The thing is, the coaches see considerably more than you do. If the difference between Randle and Michael was as dramatic as some prognosticators on here want to portray, he would have taken the number one spot from Randle. It's blatantly obvious Garrett has no emotional or buddy ties to Randle.

Zman5

Reaction score
The thing is, the coaches see considerably more than you do. If the difference between Randle and Michael was as dramatic as some prognosticators on here want to portray, he would have taken the number one spot from Randle. It's blatantly obvious Garrett has no emotional or buddy ties to Randle.

No one knows what kind of relationship JG has with Randle but Nick Eatman mentioned two training camps ago he thought JG liked Randle because Randle made him laugh with honest comments. So take that for what it's worth.

Coaches see the players considerably more than any fans do but that doesn't mean they don't make mistakes in their evaluations. If that's the case, drafts won't be a such a crap shoot and trades like Amahn Green would not have happened.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Since Randle has only been able to put in one good half each game, just let him play one half. Give C-Mike the 2nd half and see how they compare.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
This year? Lol
Under Garrett we gave always had to be hog tied before making the obvious choice/adjustment
Last year the run game, romo and Dez just masked this problem

That's true.. The difference being that this year if we actually quit being so damn stubborn that we could actually be competing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

It's about the team. They're not going to just hand over the starting job to someone who hasn't been with the team in OTA's, trading camp and the whole offseason. If Michaels does well on Sunday it will be enough at least for the players to say OK, dudes done all he can do since he's been here to earn the shot. It's all about the team.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Mark Lane ‏@therealmarklane 13m13 minutes ago
Linehan says MATT Cassel has worked real hard to get ready for SUNday.
Linehan says when Witten gets double coverage is a challenge for the other players to get open.

David Helman ‏@HelmanDC 10m10 minutes ago Irving, TX
Scott Linehan says he wouldn't expect drastic changes at RB. Wants to get C-Mike involved, but expects Randle to get bulk of carries.
Asked if he thought Dez could play without practicing, Linehan: "I think Dez could pretty much do anything Dez decides to do."

Brandon George ‏@DMN_George 4m4 minutes ago
Cowboys OC Scott Linehan said Dez Bryant worked on side at practice today. Said he hasn't been ruled out. But certainly a long shot to play.
Scott Linehan said Cowboys aren't making big changes in run game but will give RB Christine Michael more carries. 2 in game would be double.

Such bullcrap. A hot load. Everything matters Sunday and I hope this is just a smoke screen. We need a difference maker in there at RB...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will agree that Randle is not a move the yards kind of guy and he is not who you want in short yardage. However, with that said I think he is much more explosive than Murray. If Murray was still here, our running game would be the same or worse. I want to see that last couple games with Randle Romo and Dez. That will be where I will judge his ability. I do think he belongs in the NFL, its just a question of how much of the load he can carry.

I'm not interested in 1 or 2 big runs in a game I'm interested in consistency being able to grind yards as well as getting big runs. Murray got big runs as well but he consistently grinded out tough yards setting the offense up in good down and distance situations. Randle is no more than a role player Dallas needs a real running back who can bring a level of consistency to the position we do not have that.
To me 1 or 2 big runs is 1 series on offense you got an entire game left to play so that 1 or 2 big carries in the big picture is meaningless

Sydla

Reaction score

One thing I've come to expect from this organization, especially Garrett is downright stubbornness. They will ride with Randle until he implodes.

Frankly, I was surprised they dropped Weeden so fast, even though I was hoping for it.

Now having said that, in fairness to the situation, people are acting like C-Mike is some superstud in waiting. He may actually not be any better than Randle. But at this point, I am open to change but acknowledge C-Mike may just be Randle/McFadden III.