Scott Linehan's Impact

khiladi

Reaction score
If I was wrong about something then that is okay. I don't remember saying that and can think of no logical basis for said take nor even know if it is true one way or the other but I say stupid things just like the next guy from time to time. It's not about never being wrong. It's about getting the right answer in the end and overcoming past mistakes.

If I had instead ran around and talked about the passing game and the defense and waved my hands in an attempt to deflect attention away from my mistake as you do trying to deflect credit from Garrett then you might have a point.

And I have to say my favorite part was referring to me in third person and then finishing with the you vs. the world sentiment. The wannabe martyr is a favorite of mine. Also makes me wonder who your audience really is.

So Garrett sucked as a play-caller right? You know that past discussion we were talking about, when you were being bitter, denying he sucked at play-calling, despite the fact you know, it's 'about getting the right answer'?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So who is this you all people? Is the play-calling different?

Yes it is, the play up front is much better than it has been, I give credit to Callahan and Pollack. Murray is running strong and Dallas is achieving what Garrett has wanted all along and that is balance. This is not a different offense than what we had before it is the same that Garrett and Linehan ran in Miami. Linehan is going to call a different game I doubt you will find 2 men who will call the game the same way or even the same coach call a game the same way depending on the talent and production

khiladi

Reaction score
Yes it is, the play up front is much better than it has been, I give credit to Callahan and Pollack. Murray is running strong and Dallas is achieving what Garrett has wanted all along and that is balance. This is not a different offense than what we had before it is the same that Garrett and Linehan ran in Miami. Linehan is going to call a different game I doubt you will find 2 men who will call the game the same way or even the same coach call a game the same way depending on the talent and production

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...20100913-Moore-Wade-Phillips-says-he-1803.ece

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/garrett-on-why-he-didnt-run-more-under-wade.201818/

What was the excuse when Wade was fired, when it came to 'balance'?

Frozen700

Reaction score
There are a few on here who believe he does not matter. With this O-Line, a Monkey could do the play calling.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...20100913-Moore-Wade-Phillips-says-he-1803.ece

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/garrett-on-why-he-didnt-run-more-under-wade.201818/

What was the excuse when Wade was fired, when it came to 'balance'?

Wade was fired because he lost the team, the GB debacle was the last straw. Jerry said back then Wade can change the play at anytime, if he does not like something the OC is doing he can tell him hey I want more running within the game, he is the fricken HC who calls the play who cares the HC still has a say on how the game is going and what he wants to see. You really have no fricken clue

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade was fired because he lost the team, the GB debacle was the last straw. Jerry said back then Wade can change the play at anytime, if he does not like something the OC is doing he can tell him hey I want more running within the game, he is the fricken HC who calls the play who cares the HC still has a say on how the game is going and what he wants to see. You really have no fricken clue

Man, you just keep diverting away from the point. Your argument is that Garrett ALWAYS wanted balance and now he's finally gotten it. Here are two threads which tell you explicitly, nothing has prevented Garrett from running. Even one thread claims he didn't run, because Wade didn't practice in pads.

Maybe, just maybe, we run because Linehan is calling the plays totally and Callahan has built an incredible OL and running game. And Garrett cannot interfere because Jerry made him spend more time walking around on the defensive side of the practices.

That's all I'm saying.. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Is that an invalid conclusion?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So Garrett sucked as a play-caller right? You know that past discussion we were talking about, when you were being bitter, denying he sucked at play-calling, despite the fact you know, it's 'about getting the right answer'?

Emotional generalizations like the above are not "the right answer." I also know from reading you fro years at this point that my view of playcalling and what you think of playcalling are not the same thing so our discussions go nowhere.

I will say that the offense performs much better with the current coaching structure than it did when Garrett was pulling double duty. I also think the same can be said about defensive performance and player development.

conner01

Reaction score
Linehan is calling more runs, that is great but it is not a new offense it is the same offense Linehan and Garrett ran under Saban in Miami. I think Linehan has done a great job, this is the same guy many here claimed would not run the ball all he would do is pass it, you guys were wrong. Linehan has been great and is someone Garrett knows and trust.

linehan passed in detriot because they could'nt run. most oc's will run if they can run. i think he has been very good at the mixture of run and pass and sticking to the run when we are behind. it's hard to stick to the run when you trail by more than a td. but he has done that and it has paid off.

conner01

Reaction score
:):)
Man, you just keep diverting away from the point. Your argument is that Garrett ALWAYS wanted balance and now he's finally gotten it. Here are two threads which tell you explicitly, nothing has prevented Garrett from running. Even one thread claims he didn't run, because Wade didn't practice in pads.

Maybe, just maybe, we run because Linehan is calling the plays totally and Callahan has built an incredible OL and running game. And Garrett cannot interfere because Jerry made him spend more time walking around on the defensive side of the practices.

That's all I'm saying.. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Is that an invalid conclusion?

so you are saying garrett has improved the defense:)

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Jerry did not tell him not to interfere. Jason is still in offense and defensive meetings. Is he spending more time with defense? I don't know since we are not at practice or meeting now are you? If he has been more with the defense then again he deserve a hell of a lot more credit because this defense is play much better than they did last year. Even Dallas harshest critics covering the NFL have said that.

khiladi

Reaction score
Emotional generalizations like the above are not "the right answer." I also know from reading you fro years at this point that my view of playcalling and what you think of playcalling are not the same thing so our discussions go nowhere.

I will say that the offense performs much better with the current coaching structure than it did when Garrett was pulling double duty. I also think the same can be said about defensive performance and player development.

Ah OK, I am engaging in emotional generalizations, while you are only preaching from the pedestal of lack of bias and clear thinking...

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry did not tell him not to interfere. Jason is still in offense and defensive meetings. Is he spending more time with defense? I don't know since we are not at practice or meeting now are you? If he has been more with the defense then again he deserve a hell of a lot more credit because this defense is play much better than they did last year. Even Dallas harshest critics covering the NFL have said that.

I gave you quotes of what Jerry said and what Garrett was doing and you guys keep insisting that he didn't say that?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
linehan passed in detriot because they could'nt run. most oc's will run if they can run. i think he has been very good at the mixture of run and pass and sticking to the run when we are behind. it's hard to stick to the run when you trail by more than a td. but he has done that and it has paid off.

He passed because he had Megatron and even with Bush they threw quite a bit but ran more than years past. I said Linehan would run the ball when he got to Dallas hell 3 1st rd picks and a very good back sure he would. He has done a very good job I have never said other wise I give him a lot of credit. Only issue there seems to be is Garrett and those who act as if he has no part and deserves no credit.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Curious if this argument can be settled quickly.

@khiladi do you give Jason Garrett ANY credit for the teams turn around this year. If so please list them and this would invalidate others arguments that you can not give any credit.

If the answer is no, it would validate others arguments that your stance is so rigid you refuse to give any credit to the head coach.

So...Do you or Don't you?

khiladi

Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...ys-garrett-was-real-offensive-coordinator.ece

-- He added that in 2013, coach Jason Garrett had "the last pencil down" with regards to the offense. Buck stopped with him.

Garrett, not Bill Callahan, "was really your [offensive] coordinator last year. That's a fact.," Jones said.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/24/5443946/jerry-jones-cowboys-crying-jason-garrett

"That wasn't the plan," Jones said at the combine on Sunday, via the Dallas Morning News. "Going into training camp, going into [organized team activities], going into that period of the time, the plan was for Bill to ultimately be the play-caller with Romo executing it."

Jerry says in regards to Jason, after saying this in the context of his muddling in the offense:

"He will have a lot more time spent on defense than he will on offense," Jones said. "We want his input on defense."

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ah OK, I am engaging in emotional generalizations, while you are only preaching from the pedestal of lack of bias and clear thinking...

I am not perfect in that regard but it is the ideal I strive for. Jason Garrett as HC deserves credit for the team's success.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's right there. Jerry said Bill Callahan was suppose to be calling plays last year, but Jason Garrett kept interfering. He then says that this is NOT what the organization wanted and that they want his 'input on defense'. What's so hard to comprehend? These moves were made by Jerry and the organization.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
It's been a breath of fresh air to see some screen plays sprinkled in every now and then.