Scott Linehan's Impact

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We never ran against bad teams even prior... And those averages you point out are, probably the same averages, across the whole season. So even if we look at the first eight games against the teams played, it would be around the same ranking for teams. We play NFC East teams twice a year.

not sure what to do with this response.you originally pointed to the last 8 games. so I did the research to show you ...now you dismiss it with pointing to the first 8 games.....and say "probably" which tells me you don't know and just guessing based on perception...not sure what NFC east teams comments is suppose to mean...I think everyone plays in division games twice....

one difference between this year and last and years prior...the ability to actually run. you can say I am committed to the run, but if you don't have the ability to effectively run, then you have to abandon it. did we sometimes abandon the run too early...yes....I blame some of that on romo as well, lets not take him out of the equation. plus everyone points to linehan as success factor for this year. Callahan was the effective OC last year...yet everyone points to garrett....

khiladi

Reaction score
not sure what to do with this response.you originally pointed to the last 8 games. so I did the research to show you ...now you dismiss it with pointing to the first 8 games.....and say "probably" which tells me you don't know and just guessing based on perception...not sure what NFC east teams comments is suppose to mean...I think everyone plays in division games twice....

one difference between this year and last and years prior...the ability to actually run. you can say I am committed to the run, but if you don't have the ability to effectively run, then you have to abandon it. did we sometimes abandon the run too early...yes....I blame some of that on romo as well, lets not take him out of the equation. plus everyone points to linehan as success factor for this year. Callahan was the effective OC last year...yet everyone points to garrett....

What research. You tried arguing that the teams we played was a reason why our running game was a success the last eight games. What I said was those rankings you tried attributing to the last eight games is probably roughly around the same ranking as the first eight games. It's simply our running game finally started hitting it's gears.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What research. You tried arguing that the teams we played was a reason why our running game was a success the last eight games. What I said was those rankings you tried attributing to the last eight games is probably roughly around the same ranking as the first eight games. It's simply our running game finally started hitting it's gears.

I actually lookd at the numbers, rankings, team, etc. you say "probably"......you made the point about last 8 games, based on your perception without looking at any facts....again..."probably"

our running game is hitting its gears is not all linehan....its the OL finally coming together and romo's responsibilities and freedom to change plays reduced. last year against GB, when they showed 8 man fronts, romo changed plays to pass....this year against giants 8 man fronts, we continued to run.... Aikman even made the same comment during the giants' game

khiladi

Reaction score
I actually lookd at the numbers, rankings, team, etc. you say "probably"......you made the point about last 8 games, based on your perception without looking at any facts....again..."probably"

our running game is hitting its gears is not all linehan....its the OL finally coming together and romo's responsibilities and freedom to change plays reduced. last year against GB, when they showed 8 man fronts, romo changed plays to pass....this year against giants 8 man fronts, we continued to run.... Aikman even made the same comment during the giants' game

I said 'probably', because I'm pretty sure and your still waffling around the point. We play good teams and bad teams in the first half of the season, as well as the second half of the season. This isn't some insight that requires some deep analysis, it's pretty much a general rule. Trying to liken running the ball differently between two periods of a 50/50 split as some indicator that we the reason we ran well in the second half of the season and first half of the season, because we played worse run defense teams is just a stretch of the highest order. We play NFC East teams twice a year, meaning three of our games are repeats.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-abandoned-the-run-in-the-fourth-quarter.ece

"The last four weeks, nobody could stop it — their zone (running) scheme. And they gave up on it. We're just happy they did. We were, like, 'OK, we'll take it,' " Green Bay defensive lineman Ryan Pickett said after the game, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Just like this year, when the Giants players pointed out the scheme, the Packers were pointing out that nobody could stop their zone SCHEME.

"That's just who they are," Packers defensive back Tramon Williams said. "They run the ball really well against everybody they play, but they just never stick with it."

Notice that even last year, players were saying they ran well against every team. The issue was never quality of opponents, which indicates your argument that the OL is much better this year, which is the reason they stick to the run as void. And the irony is now, your arguing that they 'abandon' the running game, which nobody ever disputed and this actually contradicts your original point, that it has to do with the OL between last year and this year. Of course we are better with Martin, but that's not the argument. We were still good last year. Callahan has improved the running game since he's been here.

Also, to absolve Garrett, your blaming Romo for changing from run to pass all the time, so essentially it's Romo's fault, which contardicts your assertion that it was because of the OL this year that we are running weel. The only play that claimed Romo was changing the play, was the INT against Green Bay, which Garrett claimed Romo audibled out of i.e. threw him under the bus. That's when the Garrett homers came out in full force and went to attacking Romo himself to defense Garrett. The team abandoned the run as a WHOLE, not just that specific play.

Garrett himself stated during this game:

“At different times in the second half, we probably could have run the ball more,” coach Jason Garrett said after the game.

Plus, to further this point, we played the Eagles with Kyle Orton and he threw over 40 times in the game and we 'abandoned' the run.

Further, Romo has no trouble handing the ball off this year. Additionally, we are running play-action passes, meaning showing run, while going pass. With Garrett we were bottom of the league in play-action passing, meaning we weren't even taking advantage of our running game, to create a successful passing game. It's not just about "balance", it's the fact that now the defense has to second guess, based on the looks we are showing. Linehan in one game has used play-action passing more than Garrett essentially did all year. It's also allowing us to wear down defenses and we never have to go up tempo and play catch up in the second half. The OL is asserting itself in the second half now, because we no longer go ufp-tempo, shotgun
empty-backfield offense which was the staple of these Garrett years, because we could accomplish nothing in the first half of games.

Of course we are running more, and nobody disputes this, which pretty much negates the fact that Romo never wanted to run the ball. He has no problems handing the ball off, because he has a legitimate play-caller in Linehan.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I said 'probably', because I'm pretty sure and your still waffling around the point. We play good teams and bad teams in the first half of the season, as well as the second half of the season. This isn't some insight that requires some deep analysis, it's pretty much a general rule. Trying to liken running the ball differently between two periods of a 50/50 split as some indicator that we the reason we ran well in the second half of the season and first half of the season, because we played worse run defense teams is just a stretch of the highest order. We play NFC East teams twice a year, meaning three of our games are repeats.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-abandoned-the-run-in-the-fourth-quarter.ece

Just like this year, when the Giants players pointed out the scheme, the Packers were pointing out that nobody could stop their zone SCHEME.

Notice that even last year, players were saying they ran well against every team. The issue was never quality of opponents, which indicates your argument that the OL is much better this year, which is the reason they stick to the run as void. And the irony is now, your arguing that they 'abandon' the running game, which nobody ever disputed and this actually contradicts your original point, that it has to do with the OL between last year and this year. Of course we are better with Martin, but that's not the argument. We were still good last year. Callahan has improved the running game since he's been here.

Also, to absolve Garrett, your blaming Romo for changing from run to pass all the time, so essentially it's Romo's fault, which contardicts your assertion that it was because of the OL this year that we are running weel. The only play that claimed Romo was changing the play, was the INT against Green Bay, which Garrett claimed Romo audibled out of i.e. threw him under the bus. That's when the Garrett homers came out in full force and went to attacking Romo himself to defense Garrett. The team abandoned the run as a WHOLE, not just that specific play.

Garrett himself stated during this game:

Plus, to further this point, we played the Eagles with Kyle Orton and he threw over 40 times in the game and we 'abandoned' the run.

Further, Romo has no trouble handing the ball off this year. Additionally, we are running play-action passes, meaning showing run, while going pass. With Garrett we were bottom of the league in play-action passing, meaning we weren't even taking advantage of our running game, to create a successful passing game. It's not just about "balance", it's the fact that now the defense has to second guess, based on the looks we are showing. Linehan in one game has used play-action passing more than Garrett essentially did all year. It's also allowing us to wear down defenses and we never have to go up tempo and play catch up in the second half. The OL is asserting itself in the second half now, because we no longer go ufp-tempo, shotgun
empty-backfield offense which was the staple of these Garrett years, because we could accomplish nothing in the first half of games.

Of course we are running more, and nobody disputes this, which pretty much negates the fact that Romo never wanted to run the ball. He has no problems handing the ball off, because he has a legitimate play-caller in Linehan.

again, with the probably. I think you want to wrap this thing in a nice little box and put a bow around it. the fact is that its been a combination of different things culminating in what we have today. you want to list quotes from different people on we could run the ball and didn't then I can probably pull stats that shows we were very inconsistent at it. Callahan was the OC last year and criticism of his game planning and play calling was discussed ad naseum and even many analyst were openly criticizing it.

has linehan helped? yes. I never said he didn't. is it all him? no, its not. we can't deny the playoff the OL this year in our success as its all the rage around the NFL. Martin is up for rookie of the year and he is on his way to a probowl. we can't deny the play of Martin and Leary compared to the two warm bodies there last year. more than anything OL play fails or succeeds together.

reducing Romo's ability to change plays on the line has also had a great factor into this. Even Aikman mentioned this in this last Giant game. previous years Romo would change plays from run to pass, when he saw 8 man fronts and in the giants game we consistently saw 8, 9 man fronts and we continued to run.

has Garrett not being the OC and focusing on coaching helped? yes.

its a combination of lot of changes that's been the difference, not just a single thing. now you want to point a finger at a single point of failure, I think that's an overly simplistic view of things.