Signed by Cowboys Scott McCurley added as LB coach and Jeff Blasko added as asst OL coach

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First they need a NT to pull it off. Next they would need to figure out what to do with Lawrence cause he wouldn't be great in coverage at LB.

All the other pieces are there, especially if Gregory is reinstated(I know can't be relied on). Quinn can play OLB, we have plenty of DE. Jelks and Jackson can move to OLB as well.

Free agency would need to fill in the gaps plus the draft to replace guys in a year or so. They wouldn't need to run the 3-4 but they could absolutely run it at times in every game next season.

Bruce Smith had 200 sacks as a 3-4 DE...

Nolan has often used a front that looks like a 4-3 but with one edge player standing up. It's not really a 4-3 or 3-4; although most would label it as a 3-4.

Maybe it'a a 3.5-3.5 defense...

Regardless of name, one DE is the same as a 4-3 DE.

That would keep DLaw in the same position.

Quinn or Gregory would be good fits as the stand-up DE/LB. Probably less coverage snaps than most 3-4 OLBs but more than a 4-3 DE.

DLaw as the Strong Side DE in Marinelli's scheme already lined up more like a 5-tech and the weak side DE lined up more as a 7-tech.

A wide alignment does not really help DLaw because he is not a "speed rusher". He wins with leverage, hand fighting, technique, etc. more than with speed. The tight alignment puts him closer to the QB and makes it easier for him to threaten OTs to the inside.

The 2019 Patriots defense would be called a 3-4 but they rarely used a true 3-4 alignment other than on 1st downs and not even on all 1st downs.

The multiple front is being used more and more.

A 3-4 basically squeezes 3 DL into the area between the outside shoulders of the OTs instead of 2 players in a 4-3.

DWare basically played the same position in Wade Phillips 3-4 that Quinn played in Marinelli's 4-3 in 2019. Ware rarely dropped into coverage. The other OLB (Spencer) dropped into coverage over 3x as much as Ware). The spot on the field where DWare aligned and were Quinn aligned were not much different (Quinn as the weak side DE was aligned wider than the Strong Side DE).

Side Note: A balanced DL in a 4-3 like the Giants used in those years with JPP had both DEs and both DTs aligned the same on both sides. The Marinelli 4-3 was more like the Wade Phillips 3-4 than the Giants 4-3.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jelks is already listed at OLB. Do you know what positions play when changing from 4-3 to 3-4? Never said Gregory would even be the starter much less the most important piece.

You can disagree all you want but facts are the players on the team could transition to the 3-4 much easier than you think. I have already stated that free agency and draft would be needed to complete it and even stated this year wouldn't be 100 percent 3-4.
Oddly Jelks best position in college was DT...similar to how David Irving played DT for the Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You sure like crying over spilled milk. He is still worth more than the vet minimum and as such there is a price where it is worth bringing him back.

And btw he had surgery to correct bursitis. You have no idea the severity of the injury or the prognosis. You are essentially wishcasting ti to be bad to satisfy your emotional want.

Funny, I have the poster blocked by I'm certain I know who it is that you are replying to...

Kwyn

Reaction score
I dunno anything about Scott Curley guy, but I am counting on Mike Nolan to make this defense very physical and tough to move the ball and capable of creating turnovers..

McCurley was one of the three main guys who were in “The Barn” for the last year with McCarthy as he planned his return.

it was a matter of time before he joined the staff.

The other two were Haslett, who may still end up here, and Frank Cignetti who just signed on to be the OC at Boston College

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Jaylon does have legitimate pass rush ability so regardless of what we think of him as a linebacker he does have value if you send him after the QB.

I could see his primary responsibility being rushing the passer this year on the outside in a 3/4.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not really sure why not.

We need DEs. He's very effective still at his age. Hes likely a one year deal which is ideal for us. He's better than Crawford. He can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. 24 sacks as a part time player over the last 3 years.

Seems people don't like that he's kind of an ***, so they'll cut off their nose in spite of their face here.

We need good players. We don’t need players who can’t play just to say we have a guy.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'l take Crawford back...........

With a new deal where he makes like $3MM a year, at most. How's that?

I would not take him back even at 3m. With 3M we can sign Brown or even use it on Cobb. Heck, we might be able to sign Bennett with that amount. Warts and all, Bennett is better than Crawford.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Bennett is likely on a one year deal at this point in his career. If you chuck Crawford you need depth at DE. Even if you bring back Quinn, you only have him Lawrence, Armstrong and Quinn. You can't count on Gregory at this point.

Bennett is the ideal one year, vet type to bring back.
Don’t forget that the Cowboys restructured Bennett’s deal when he came over, at his request, to remove the second year that he had on his contract

the sense was that he wanted a “prove it” year so he could be a free agent sooner and get one more payday

I don’t think we can count on Bennett signing a one year deal

Verdict

Reaction score
This team missed Crawford's leadership. I expect that we might rework his deal like we did with Free years back. Fully guarantee the 8 mill he's due but replace that with a 2 year 10 mill deal. He gets his 8 mill and we get him at 5 mill a year and a reasonable cap hit if we cut him after the year.

In order for “leadership” to matter, as a player they have to be able to play at a HIGH LEVEL. If they can’t, then make them a coach, or a cheerleader, or motivational speaker, but get them off the roster.

Witten is the first one who needs to hit the door.

Verdict

Reaction score
It sickens and amazes me that some people - fans and media, are dumb enough to even discuss the possibility of Crawford coming back. This team has overpaid him for years, with last year being the most sickening example. A $10 million cap hit, and for what? Next to nothing, that's what! And a defense that got better without him! I've done the homework. This guy has been a waste for years, and now that the rest of the team is getting a much needed iverhaul, some are actually talking about bringing him back? After major hip surgery? Are you kidding me? It's like they've failed to watch last season, or much of the past 5 years the way they continue to try to talk up this below average, overpriced, damaged goods player. Enough already.

I said the same with Dez. I was right about Dez. You are right about Crawford. I totally agree.

Witten is another one. I was pretty dead set against Lee, but I will say he didn’t suck quite as bad this year as he did last year but I would send him packing too.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It sickens and amazes me that some people - fans and media, are dumb enough to even discuss the possibility of Crawford coming back. This team has overpaid him for years, with last year being the most sickening example. A $10 million cap hit, and for what? Next to nothing, that's what! And a defense that got better without him! I've done the homework. This guy has been a waste for years, and now that the rest of the team is getting a much needed iverhaul, some are actually talking about bringing him back? After major hip surgery? Are you kidding me? It's like they've failed to watch last season, or much of the past 5 years the way they continue to try to talk up this below average, overpriced, damaged goods player. Enough already.

Crawford is an experiment gone wrong. Marinelli valued players with position flex. But as we all know they become near daft bust or below average.

I'm all for cutting him. He isn't worth it. I rather we use our money wisely on players that perform a certain role like run stuffing DT. WE can get one cheap and use the rest of Crawford's money wisely signing other players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said the same with Dez. I was right about Dez. You are right about Crawford. I totally agree.

Witten is another one. I was pretty dead set against Lee, but I will say he didn’t suck quite as bad this year as he did last year but I would send him packing too.

My gut tells me that Lee is coming back for one more year, but we'll see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford is an experiment gone wrong. Marinelli valued players with position flex. But as we all know they become near daft bust or below average.

"Position flex", which means he sucks at more than one position. The guy was flat out terrible last year, in the games he actually played. All for $10 million in salary cap costs. A bad joke.

I'm all for cutting him. He isn't worth it. I rather we use our money wisely on players that perform a certain role like run stuffing DT. WE can get one cheap and use the rest of Crawford's money wisely signing other players.

Yes. We can use the money to actually pay a starting player. And one with a clear role, and not be in a position where we're forced 'to play them somewhere'.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
More like acknowledging the truth. Something the homers aren't mature enough to do.

Actually, I don't care about the prognosis. I just want one of the few the remaining farces left with this team to be ended.

If anyone is "emotional", it's the Cowboys crybaby homers who can't bear to face it when the team has huge misses and mistakes like Crawford. I can talk about their mistakes without having to cover my eyes to them. I don't need to distort the facts or sugarcoat things so I can 'feel better'.

What truth is that? He is a below average starter and above average backup. Sign him to vet backup money and it's cost effective. The only basis you have is that you are mad about previous mistakes thus my using the spilled milk cliche.

And it is obvious you don't care about the prognosis. You are emotionally invested in him being gone doing your typical angry romantic thing. The reality is that if it is say a bone spur causing the inflammation then his prognosis would be a complete recovery and the issue you have used as the crux of your logical argument goes poof.