Twitter: Scott Pioli, former NFL GM, three major consequences of 2021 projected cap decrease

Verdict

Reaction score
The reality is this team is likely going to be on the side of cutting a productive player than a team that can reap the benefits of other teams having to cut really good players to fit under the cap.

Because when you account for Dak and his tag, we don't have a lot (or any) cap space to play with based on the projected league cap for next year. If he does sign, that probably creates another $10MM or so in space but that's not a lot.

We are likely going to have to restructure some guys to get enough space to fill out a roster. I suspect draft picks are going to be vitally important for roster construction too.
Yeah. Which is why losing NOW is even more important.

Verdict

Reaction score
That's not what was said. Insisting on a 4 year max deal ensures that DALL will not be able to put a super bowl team around him. The shorter term deal would screw the team.
Some people just don’t get it, do they bro? Lol

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The reality is this team is likely going to be on the side of cutting a productive player than a team that can reap the benefits of other teams having to cut really good players to fit under the cap.

Because when you account for Dak and his tag, we don't have a lot (or any) cap space to play with based on the projected league cap for next year. If he does sign, that probably creates another $10MM or so in space but that's not a lot.

We are likely going to have to restructure some guys to get enough space to fill out a roster. I suspect draft picks are going to be vitally important for roster construction too.

Dak’s contract ruins everything.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's funny how so many people say Dak has all the leverage. People have been saying this since his His contract was up. If Dak has all the leverage he would have been signed a long time ago. We don't know what the Jones are thinking about Dak for a long term solution.
except we know they wanted to get him on a 5 year contract.....Dak has the leverage because he signed a 34M contract and is FA again and if they decide to tag him again, he will get 38. if they don't then he can sign with several teams hot on a QB trail like Denver, Indy, NE, Washington, Chicago, on the outside even the browns, panthers,

kskboys

Reaction score
If you say so. You seem to like making decisions based on assumptions that are really unproven. It's awaste of time to argue as it's pretty self-evident.
Not assumptions. A study of history.

What's self evident? That a 4 year maxed out deal for Dak will push us toward mediocrity? Yes, that is self evident.

Steve007

Reaction score
except we know they wanted to get him on a 5 year contract.....Dak has the leverage because he signed a 34M contract and is FA again and if they decide to tag him again, he will get 38. if they don't then he can sign with several teams hot on a QB trail like Denver, Indy, NE, Washington, Chicago, on the outside even the browns, panthers,
The Cowboys will either sign him long term or tag him. He doesn't have all the leverage because the Cowboys could tag him and look for another quarterback.
The Cowboys lack of playoff success is not Daks fault, but he isn't worth the cap hit. If they overpay him a lot of people will be happy, but you can look forward to 8-8 to 10-6 with a possible one and done playoff game. I'm not saying the Cowboys will be a better team if they let Dak go, but they need change and if they overpay him like they have so many other players that will show there is no hope for change. I personally don't think the Cowboys will get back to greatness with the Jones running things. I hope I'm wrong.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Cowboys will either sign him long term or tag him. He doesn't have all the leverage because the Cowboys could tag him and look for another quarterback.
The Cowboys lack of playoff success is not Daks fault, but he isn't worth the cap hit. If they overpay him a lot of people will be happy, but you can look forward to 8-8 to 10-6 with a possible one and done playoff game. I'm not saying the Cowboys will be a better team if they let Dak go, but they need change and if they overpay him like they have so many other players that will show there is no hope for change. I personally don't think the Cowboys will get back to greatness with the Jones running things. I hope I'm wrong.
but getting tagged and getting 38M, and knowing that the year after again you will be a FA, is leverage. the cowboys only other choice is to tag, which in essence gauranteed him 72M....very similar to Cousins...he got two gauranteed tags from washington and then as a FA went to Minn and got a gauranteed three year contract....

and why does this matter? its bad business by Jones. if he tags him twice. gave up 72M, then signs a contract after second year, for another 120M gaurantees (just a guess based on other contracts).....instead of giving a 4 year contract and $100M guarantee....

Jones is just screwing up one contract negotiation after another. handing Zeke a 90M contract...the biggest at the time, then zeke gets fumblitis. handing Lawrence a 20M/year contract and getting 4 sacks in return..., handing jaylon a large contract making him one of the highest paid...he did hand out Cooper a large contract and that's the only one that seems to be paying off......

Steve007

Reaction score
but getting tagged and getting 38M, and knowing that the year after again you will be a FA, is leverage. the cowboys only other choice is to tag, which in essence gauranteed him 72M....very similar to Cousins...he got two gauranteed tags from washington and then as a FA went to Minn and got a gauranteed three year contract....

and why does this matter? its bad business by Jones. if he tags him twice. gave up 72M, then signs a contract after second year, for another 120M gaurantees (just a guess based on other contracts).....instead of giving a 4 year contract and $100M guarantee....

Jones is just screwing up one contract negotiation after another. handing Zeke a 90M contract...the biggest at the time, then zeke gets fumblitis. handing Lawrence a 20M/year contract and getting 4 sacks in return..., handing jaylon a large contract making him one of the highest paid...he did hand out Cooper a large contract and that's the only one that seems to be paying off......
Thats true it is bad business by Jones. That is not to say there are no options. They could sign and trade, tag him, or let him go. The damage has already been done. They should try not to make it worse. They should have used the transition tag if they where not sure of Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Do you mean Dak?

Because he made that decision long before the pandemic. Hindsight is always easy....

Doesn't change the reality thou. Many on this board tried to point out the fact that you don't know what the future could hold. Instead, people ignored that and basically called those who tried to point it out, stupid.

That's the truth, as you well know.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Assertions without evidence are to be discarded.

If we accept this, what is to suggest that paying Dak a max contract will lead us to success? I mean, aren't those assertions as well? Should we now just discard them?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
actually it doesn't....teams may want to do shorter term contra
Thats true it is bad business by Jones. That is not to say there are no options. They could sign and trade, tag him, or let him go. The damage has already been done. They should try not to make it worse. They should have used the transition tag if they where not sure of Dak.
I think they were/are sure of Dak, but Jones was out-thinking himself, thinking ahead to 2024, wanting to have big cap room to go sign a bunch of FA when the cap is expected to get a huge bump.....and not have to deal with signing his QB....

so he got hung up on 5, 5 5 year contract and didn't want to budge on a 4 year contract.......where he could have just gave him 4 and use the Franchise Tag in 2024, which would have been reasonable because it would be based on existing contracts and not future contracts. that would have easily given him his 5 year at the price he wanted.

the old man is going senile

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If we accept this, what is to suggest that paying Dak a max contract will lead us to success? I mean, aren't those assertions as well? Should we now just discard them?

It's called nothing is certain. There is evidence of teams with max contract QBs winning the Lombardi after all.