Scout’s Eye: Promising CB Among Undrafted Class

Mr_437

Reaction score
Needs a ton of work. The team needs viable options as possible 3rd and 4th CBs in 2020. Gonna need inexpensive options like Westry and/or Olumba to emerge.
I like Olumba...Jackson will be around, so that's two young guys. Plus, you have the draft to get baller with a premium then mid to late rounds and UDFAs to fill out the camp roster

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m expecting some turnover at the cornerback spot over the next two years.

I don’t foresee Byron Jones re-signed and Brown is iffy. And Lewis is likely traded at done point in my opinion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Overview
Press-man cornerback with rare combination of length, explosiveness and speed whose traits could get him drafted higher than the production and tape warrant. Westry's workout numbers will be hard to ignore and he will likely appeal to press-heavy defenses and cover-3 units looking for a late-round option with traits and upside. Despite his unique physical characteristics, he's still a high ceiling, low floor corner.
Strengths
  • Ridiculously long prospect at a full 6-foot-4 with almost 34-inch arms
  • Explosive athlete with rare long speed
  • Ran 4.31-second 40-yard dash with a 38-inch vertical leap at pro day
  • Above-average foot agility for his length
  • Adequate change of direction ability in space
  • Can overwhelm small receivers in the vertical plane
  • Hard to throw over skyscraper frame in trail coverage
  • Durable playing in all 51 career games
  • Paces with speed from side shuffle in cover-3
Weaknesses
  • Was not a starter this season
  • Posted just 8 passes defensed over the last three years
  • Doesn't bully receiver with his length often enough
  • Below-average patience from press
  • Struggles to stay in front of receiver's release
  • Sticky hip flip to turn and run from off-man
  • Opens hips too early allowing space vs
  • comebacks
  • Inconsistent digestion of combo routes

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chris-westry?id=32195745-5381-0458-d5b1-07a8142aecc6

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Name: Chris Westry

Position: CB

College: Kentucky

Height/Weight: 6’4/199

Scouting Report:

• A lot of times, a player’s measurements are exaggerated – but not this guy. At 6’4, Westry is incredibly rangy, with long length.
  • He’ll need to refine his technique a bit. He tends to grab his man in coverage.
  • But he will fight to stay in position.
  • You see some start-stop quickness to his game. Can close ground when he has to.
  • Despite his large frame, he can move well. He will turn and run with his man.
  • There are snaps where his balance is not great, but he moves confidently. He will turn, open his hips and react to what he sees.
  • Carries his man across the field with ease. Not much separation to his game.
  • He does a good job of keeping things in front of him.
  • Overall, this is a promising player – worth being excited about. I worry about how much he grabs and holds. He will need some technique work with Kris Richard to help him here.
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-promising-cb-among-undrafted-class
Could end up being a system fit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Could end up being a system fit.

I would just say Westry will come in just like every other Rookie and it will fall to him to go out and proves himself to the coaches. Like all the other young players coming to camp I wish him the best of luck

Reaction score
I’m expecting some turnover at the cornerback spot over the next two years.

I don’t foresee Byron Jones re-signed and Brown is iffy. And Lewis is likely traded at done point in my opinion.

I can see Lewis being traded since he doesn't fit Richard's mold but not resigning Jones doesn't make sense. If Dallas isn't willing to pay for quality DBs then how are they ever going to fix that secondary?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see Lewis being traded since he doesn't fit Richard's mold but not resigning Jones doesn't make sense. If Dallas isn't willing to pay for quality DBs then how are they ever going to fix that secondary?

I'd say they would do it the same way Richard did it when he built the Legion Of Boom, with mid round draft picks. The only top pick he had in Seattle was Earl Thomas, the other guys were 5th rounders and later. I'm of the believe that his faith lies in his techniques, and not having to have top draft picks.

Think about this, Byron Jones had 0 interceptions for the season last year, that's unheard of for a top cornerback. And that tells opposing offenses that the worst thing that can happen when you throw his way is an incomplete pass. That invites teams to attack him, and they increasingly did as the season progressed.

And he's going to expect to be paid like a top cornerback in his next contract, which is what? About $15 million a year? That for a guy that doesn't make plays on the ball and coming off of hip surgery? I don't put good odds on Jones being resigned, and I see these corners being brought in and kept around as proof that changes are coming.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Westry's hips aren't the turd show some site drama queens would lead you to believe. He's not as fluid as ideally you'd want, but he moves fine. Given the technique Richard has these corners play, Westry could be a fit.

Another tall guy with supposed poor hip fluidity was Richard Sherman. Not saying Westry is Sherman, but let's not overreact to one trait that isn't a death knell for CBs in our scheme.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put him on the PC and see what he looks like next summer. No reason to overthink this.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Westry's hips aren't the turd show some site drama queens would lead you to believe. He's not as fluid as ideally you'd want, but he moves fine. Given the technique Richard has these corners play, Westry could be a fit.

Another tall guy with supposed poor hip fluidity was Richard Sherman. Not saying Westry is Sherman, but let's not overreact to one trait that isn't a death knell for CBs in our scheme.

The poster that made that comment just said it to sound like he knows something.

Westry has plenty of issues as a prospect, but "trash hips" is not one of them.

A lack of alpha mentality and being Barbie Carpenter soft might be issues but not his "hips".

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Put him on the PC and see what he looks like next summer. No reason to overthink this.

Even PS is something he will have to earn. Right now he is a rookie just as all other new comers are and it falls to him to go out and make plays through out these OTA and camp to catch the coaches eye. Only difference for UDFA and a drafted player is the UDFA will not get as many reps to prove themselves so they have to make an impact every time they are out on the field.

Reaction score
I'd say they would do it the same way Richard did it when he built the Legion Of Boom, with mid round draft picks. The only top pick he had in Seattle was Earl Thomas, the other guys were 5th rounders and later. I'm of the believe that his faith lies in his techniques, and not having to have top draft picks.

Think about this, Byron Jones had 0 interceptions for the season last year, that's unheard of for a top cornerback. And that tells opposing offenses that the worst thing that can happen when you throw his way is an incomplete pass. That invites teams to attack him, and they increasingly did as the season progressed.

And he's going to expect to be paid like a top cornerback in his next contract, which is what? About $15 million a year? That for a guy that doesn't make plays on the ball and coming off of hip surgery? I don't put good odds on Jones being resigned, and I see these corners being brought in and kept around as proof that changes are coming.

But did Seattle resign those mid-draft players that panned out or did they release them? I don't follow Seattle but I'm fairly certain they kept the DBs that panned out.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The poster that made that comment just said it to sound like he knows something.

Westry has plenty of issues as a prospect, but "trash hips" is not one of them.

A lack of alpha mentality and being Barbie Carpenter soft might be issues but not his "hips".
Said poster will latch on to any slight, real or perceived, that might help fit his drama queen persona. Anything to complain about the FO, Garrett, Marinelli, Richard, etc. Whine, complain, "look at me being the tough guy" is so overplayed.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He will get a chance in camp to prove some right and the rest wrong. Were gonna need some young corners next year.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Broadus changed his tune pretty quickly. I vividly remember during the Draft Show’s mock draft, somebody (I believe Dave) suggested Westry in the 7th, and Broadus responded that he wasn’t a big fan of him.