Scout’s Notebook: Running Game Breakdowns, Rookie Evaluations & More

waving monkey

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – There’s always something you can learn from the tape.

Jason Garrett said as much at his Monday press conference. The tape never looks as good as a win suggests it does, and it never looks as bad as a loss would suggest. There’s always information in each game, waiting to be gained.

With that, here’s what I found when I re-visited this 42-17 loss the Cowboys suffered in Denver on Sunday afternoon.

What was surprising about the nine carries that Ezekiel Elliott had was that four of those came with the Cowboys in “12” personnel. It is usually an outstanding running package with Jason Witten and James Hanna, but it had its share of struggles. When you chart the overall breakdowns, there was only one time where I felt like Elliott made a poor choice with his cut. Other than that, the main culprit for the lack of running room can be traced to individual breakdowns. Missed cut off blocks. No movement on defensive tackles when executing fold blocks and just physically getting shed at the point of attack. The only time Elliott had any real space to operate came on his final carry, with seven Broncos in the box. Tyron Smith and Chaz Green were able to cave down the right side of the line to get Elliott inside.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...nning-game-breakdowns-rookie-evaluations-more

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The theme of the day for the Cowboys’ defense was missed tackles. It started on the Broncos’ first offensive series and lasted throughout the game. Nolan Carroll had a chance to bring down Emmanuel Sanders for a five-yard gain, but he missed and the result was 20 more yards. The next series, C.J. Anderson ripped off a 28-yard run when Jaylon Smith, Jeff Heath and Carroll were all in position to make a play but all three were unable to finish.

Despite not practicing all week, Terrance Williams was able to suit up and give it a go. I have to say that Williams deserved better than the limited targets he received in this game. He was the one receiver on tape that was able to find space against these Broncos cornerbacks while his teammates struggled. Surprisingly, he wasn’t compromised with his injury. His quickness and stamina were good, but the ball just didn’t go enough in his direction. I feel like that was a missed opportunity, because he was playing that well.

These are the two quotes that stuck out to me. Obviously the missed tackles were beyond disastrous. Allowing sustained drives meant that the team was out of the game by Q2.

I'm always interested in tape review of WRs. Dak was very conservative and doesn't love the middle of the field/intermediate routes. I wonder if there was more available downfield if he was willing to take a bit more risk.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
These are the two quotes that stuck out to me. Obviously the missed tackles were beyond disastrous. Allowing sustained drives meant that the team was out of the game by Q2.

I'm always interested in tape review of WRs. Dak was very conservative and doesn't love the middle of the field/intermediate routes. I wonder if there was more available downfield if he was willing to take a bit more risk.

Yep -- missed tackles have been a big bugaboo that's haunted us lately. Here's hoping the team wakes up and learns by that.

As far as Dak and our passes going downfield more, we'd best first manage to pass protect far better than we did last Sunday.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yep -- missed tackles have been a big bugaboo that's haunted us lately. Here's hoping the team wakes up and learns by that.

As far as Dak and our passes going downfield more, we'd best first manage to pass protect far better than we did last Sunday.

Based on what some of the media people are saying, Dak had more time to throw than people believe.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is primary target on play calls and it's Dez way too often (i.e. Coaches pushing Dak to throw to Dez).

Staubacher

Reaction score
Based on what some of the media people are saying, Dak had more time to throw than people believe.

I'd like to see the all-22, that seems to be the thought amongst those who have.

Watching live Dak did seem hesitant.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Sounds like Green is playing well at LG, Collins struggling more at RT. I don't really know enough or watch them enough to know. For those of you who do, do you agree with that assessment? Also sounds like Williams should have been thrown to more. I agree. It seems to me he was the most open when he did or didn't get the ball. Defenses focus on Witten, Dez, Beasley, so let's throw to Williams, who happens to be the fastest of the group.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Sounds like Green is playing well at LG, Collins struggling more at RT. I don't really know enough or watch them enough to know. For those of you who do, do you agree with that assessment? Also sounds like Williams should have been thrown to more. I agree. It seems to me he was the most open when he did or didn't get the ball. Defenses focus on Witten, Dez, Beasley, so let's throw to Williams, who happens to be the fastest of the group.

This offense is at its best when they spread the ball around. They have gone from Dez never being involved, to forcing it him way too often. Beasley and Williams have to get more targets.

I also thought Hanna or Swain would be involved more in the passing game last week. You have to attack the middle of the field vs Denver.

To me the coaching staff are the ones who are cocky. The philosophy seems to be we are going to run our offense and make them stop us, instead of attacking weaknesses on opposing teams, that is why the adjustments are slow to none.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Collins to me is showing he can play the position . 2 weeks in a row with very good 1 elite rusher . He at least gets on them unlike free who at times gave a free run. Add in millers tendency to push the jump whenever he can and their D being fresh and used the altitude and I'm not surprised he picked up sacks late in the game and in a time when the outcome was long determined.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Collins to me is showing he can play the position . 2 weeks in a row with very good 1 elite rusher . He at least gets on them unlike free who at times gave a free run. Add in millers tendency to push the jump whenever he can and their D being fresh and used the altitude and I'm not surprised he picked up sacks late in the game and in a time when the outcome was long determined.
He wont face many assignments like he has the past couple of weeks

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Put this in another thread...

Listening to Sturm now and interesting stuff. In 17 starts by Dak..doesn't include 5 min against Philly last game of yr...his worst statistical games have been last 3 on the road...Minny, NYG and Denver. Yes the teams are known for great Ds but offense is 5 for 38 on 3rd downs in those games. Passing stats were horrible in each. Question is then...why isn't an offense that is built on Oline and running the ball and saying "stop us" failing or not being used? Vance Joseph said straight out they planned to stop run. So are other teams looking at this? We invested a ton of money and picks into this plan. We beat Seattle on road in 2014 by jamming it at them. Why are we stopping this?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Listening to Sturm now and interesting stuff. In 17 starts by Dak..doesn't include 5 min against Philly last game of yr...his worst statistical games have been last 3 on the road...Minny, NYG and Denver. Yes the teams are known for great Ds but offense is 5 for 38 on 3rd downs in those games. Passing stats were horrible in each. Question is then...why isn't an offense that is built on Oline and running the ball and saying "stop us" failing or not being used? Vance Joseph said straight out they planned to stop run. So are other teams looking at this? We invested a ton of money and picks into this plan. We beat Seattle on road in 2014 by jamming it at them. Why are we stopping this?

For whatever reason, we NEVER tried to run the ball Sunday. Why is that? Also maybe it just me, but it appears 3-4 teams give this OL fits.

Staubacher

Reaction score

2014 vs Seattle we did run, yes, but also Romo threw 32 times slinging it all over and making huge plays in the 4th to seal the win.

We can talk run run run all we want but if Dak can't make plays in the air we are cooked.

Miller

Reaction score
2014 vs Seattle we did run, yes, but also Romo threw 32 times slinging it all over and making huge plays in the 4th to seal the win.

We can talk run run run all we want but if Dak can't make plays in the air we are cooked.

I get this but the whole reason they invested heavily in the line for the draft was to control games and dominate. Basically setting up pass off the run and controlling games. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case looking at end of season on road and now.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I get this but the whole reason they invested heavily in the line for the draft was to control games and dominate. Basically setting up pass off the run and controlling games. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case looking at end of season on road and now.

Well those defenses are playing the run and are good at stopping it.

Who was the last pound and ground team to win a championship? Not being sarcastic but unless and until Dak can make them pay through the air and/or we have a better defense the pound and ground ain't enough.

Miller

Reaction score
Well those defenses are playing the run and are good at stopping it.

Who was the last pound and ground team to win a championship? Not being sarcastic but unless and until Dak can make them pay through the air and/or we have a better defense the pound and ground ain't enough.

I agree and I thought Dak did a good job getting it downfield at times last year so I believe it is possible. I think Sturms point was that we can't lose our identity..the one that we invested in...by coming out passing right off the bat to mix it up. We need to pound it and try and loosen it up before we can be as effective as possible passing. It's a matter of trying to figure out why we have the great Oline but still seem to get dominated at times where we are rendered ineffective everywhere and had 3rd down issues. I think Arizona will be a good test on this.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score

I agree and I thought Dak did a good job getting it downfield at times last year so I believe it is possible. I think Sturms point was that we can't lose our identity..the one that we invested in...by coming out passing right off the bat to mix it up. We need to pound it and try and loosen it up before we can be as effective as possible passing. It's a matter of trying to figure out why we have the great Oline but still seem to get dominated at times where we are rendered ineffective everywhere and had 3rd down issues. I think Arizona will be a good test on this.
Looking at the game at NYG last season, I see in the first half:
Run, pass, pass (3rd and 3), punt
Pass, run, pass (3rd and 8), run, run, pass, run, run (3rd and 2), pass, TD pass
Pass, run, run, pass (3rd and 2, intercepted)
Run, run, pass, pass (3rd and 11), punt
Run, pass, run, run, pass, pass (3rd and 11), punt
Run, run, pass, pass (3rd and 6), punt
That doesn't look like we weren't establishing the run. Yeah, they threw on a couple short 3rds, but they also ran on one. And Zeke ran 24 times for 104 yards, so they weren't ineffective, either.

@MIN:
Run, FS, pass, run, pass (3rd and 8), punt
Pass, run, pass (3rd and 10), punt
Run, run, pass, run, run, run, run (3rd and 1, gained 6 but fumbled)
Pass, run, scramble (3rd and 13), run, pass, run, pass, TD run
Run, pass, pass (3rd and 6), punt
That looks pretty balanced to me too. And again, Zeke was pretty effective, running for 4.3 per carry. Overall, I'm not seeing much support for the idea that these games were approached differently than our other games.

Miller

Reaction score
Looking at the game at NYG last season, I see in the first half:
Run, pass, pass (3rd and 3), punt
Pass, run, pass (3rd and 8), run, run, pass, run, run (3rd and 2), pass, TD pass
Pass, run, run, pass (3rd and 2, intercepted)
Run, run, pass, pass (3rd and 11), punt
Run, pass, run, run, pass, pass (3rd and 11), punt
Run, run, pass, pass (3rd and 6), punt
That doesn't look like we weren't establishing the run. Yeah, they threw on a couple short 3rds, but they also ran on one. And Zeke ran 24 times for 104 yards, so they weren't ineffective, either.

@MIN:
Run, FS, pass, run, pass (3rd and 8), punt
Pass, run, pass (3rd and 10), punt
Run, run, pass, run, run, run, run (3rd and 1, gained 6 but fumbled)
Pass, run, scramble (3rd and 13), run, pass, run, pass, TD run
Run, pass, pass (3rd and 6), punt
That looks pretty balanced to me too. And again, Zeke was pretty effective, running for 4.3 per carry. Overall, I'm not seeing much support for the idea that these games were approached differently than our other games.

Dak was 12-18 for 139 in Minny. Zeke ran 20 for 86. Against Giants Dak was 17 or 35 for 165 and 2 picks. Elliot 24 for 107. So Dak struggled and In the 3 games I mentioned and we were 5 of 38 on 3rd downs and around 7 yard average left on 3rd. Sorry I'm not explaining it well from a radio conversation but Sturm seemed to be pointing out that we built the current team to have a world class offense. We built the line through #1 picks. We have Dez. We have Zeke. So why are we struggling so badly on the road vs top Ds, especially when we are built to run the ball and open the passing game? Obviously these are top Ds but the oline was built to counteract that. Zeke got some yards so why are we struggling on 3rd downs and having the offense as a whole click. Overall did Minnesota do something that other Ds can latch onto? And if Zeke was effective vs Dak why not keep pounding? The 3rd down stats say a lot. Fortunately not every NFL team is built like these Ds but I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona copy these plans with their talent. It was just an open talk he was having and hoping that the road woes of Dak aren't a trend since we put everything into the O

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Seemed to me like he got hurried about as many times as not, just enough to make him rush his throws even when he didn't have to. There's often a fear factor that enters a QB's mindset whenever a team sacks and rushes him enough get into his head. Especially so when he's already gotten the rough treatment that some of those sacks delivered. As it was, he got both ankles hurt on one of those sacks. Can't really say as I blame him for reacting as he did. He took some hard hits out there.

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Dak was 12-18 for 139 in Minny. Zeke ran 20 for 86. Against Giants Dak was 17 or 35 for 165 and 2 picks. Elliot 24 for 107. So Dak struggled and In the 3 games I mentioned and we were 5 of 38 on 3rd downs and around 7 yard average left on 3rd. Sorry I'm not explaining it well from a radio conversation but Sturm seemed to be pointing out that we built the current team to have a world class offense. We built the line through #1 picks. We have Dez. We have Zeke. So why are we struggling so badly on the road vs top Ds, especially when we are built to run the ball and open the passing game? Obviously these are top Ds but the oline was built to counteract that. Zeke got some yards so why are we struggling on 3rd downs and having the offense as a whole click. Overall did Minnesota do something that other Ds can latch onto? And if Zeke was effective vs Dak why not keep pounding? The 3rd down stats say a lot. Fortunately not every NFL team is built like these Ds but I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona copy these plans with their talent. It was just an open talk he was having and hoping that the road woes of Dak aren't a trend since we put everything into the O
I get what you're saying (or what Sturm is saying). I just struggle with the question, "why are we struggling so badly on the road vs top Ds," when the answer seems to be in the question. Top defenses make good offenses look bad, particularly in the D's house: that's how they get to be top Ds.
The Giants, Vikings and Broncos allowed the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fewest points in the league last year. Meanwhile, the top-scoring teams were the Falcons, Patriots, Packers and Saints:
The Patriots went into Denver and scored 16 points on 313 yards, with their only TD drive starting on Denver's side of the field.
The Packers went into Minnesota and scored 14 points on 263 yards.
The Saints went into New York and scored 13 points on 288 yards.
The Falcons went into Denver and scored 23 points, their second-lowest total of the season.

I tend to prefer simple explanations until I can't justify them any more. Playing top defenses on the road is hard. And I don't think our offense is world class, frankly. It's very good at scoring in a certain way. But it is really not built for scoring in a wide variety of ways, in particular with big plays down the field.