BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
link

Cap-tastrophe?

By Rich Tandler
Editor-in-Chief
Date: Feb 20, 2006

Tandler's Commanders Blog Ver. 02.20.06--The Commanders gambled when they signed some of their key players over the past few years. They may be on the verge of losing that gamble and the team could have a decidedly different look in 2006.

You can reach Rich Tandler by email at WarpathInsiders@comcast.net
Over the weekend, two almost identical articles by Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline and Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com came to almost identical conclusions in regards to the Commanders salary cap situation. They both claimed to have talked to a trio of cap experts from various places and these experts told them that the Commanders were in a cap situation that was so untenable that they may be forced to make drastic cuts to get under the cap. The Commanders, they say, may be forced to play the 2006 season with 15-20 rookies making the minimum in order to get in compliance with the cap rules. There would have to be an unprecedented bloodbath in regards to the roster.
As those two writers are notorious for their frequent anti-Commanders biases, their pieces were immediately met with derision from all around Commanders nation. “There they go again,” was the common refrain.
Well, this observer, accused of being a homer far more often than he’s called anti-Commanders, is here to tell you that, as painful as it may be to say it, what Pete and Lenny said is by and large true. If there is not extension of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) before the free agency period begins on March 3, the Commanders will officially take up residence in the dreaded cap hell. The Commanders took a gamble and, as of right now, it looks as though they may well lose it.
The gamble they took was to insert roster bonuses into the contracts signed by Marcus Washington, Clinton Portis, and others. Since these bonuses are not guaranteed, they all count towards the 2006 salary cap, pushing it up to a number that is some $20 million over the limit, which will likely come in at $95 million.
The Commanders had to structure those deals in that way in order to make them acceptable under the current collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association. The gamble that they took was that the CBA would be extended and revised before the ’06 free agency season began. That would allow them to guarantee the roster bonuses for those players, meaning that they could spread out the impact over the life of the contract. That would, for example, lower Shawn Springs’ cap number by some $2.3 million, Portis’ by $2.25 million. The cap savings by this accounting procedure would total $15 million. The rest of the overage could easily be handled by cutting some fringe players and restructuring some other contracts.
It was a reasonable gamble at the time the contracts were drawn up. The NFL and the NFLPA have never before gone to the brink of an uncapped year, which is what 2007 would be under the current CBA, before extending the agreement. However, we find ourselves about 10 days before free agency starts and a CBA extension does not appear to be imminent. In Sunday’s Washington Post an NFLPA representative said that the chances of reaching a deal were not very good. That doesn’t mean that it can’t happen or won’t happen. It means that every minute that passes without a new agreement pushes the Commanders a minute closer to entering cap hell.
Without a CBA extension the Commanders will need some very creative measures, some very painful decisions and/or some unprecedented cooperation by many players to get under the cap. There will be an article here Tuesday on WarpathInsiders.com that will look at some creative options. Right now, though, let’s focus on the latter two.
One of the problems with cutting players is that with the contracts structured as they are and the fact that most of the contracts are pretty new, there isn’t much money to be saved in releasing a lot of players with big camp numbers. For example, LaVar Arrington counts about $12 million towards the ’06 cap, but releasing him would result in a slightly higher cap charge than that because of uncharged money already paid to him. It’s like being upside down on a car loan, when the car is worth less than the payoff amount. Cutting Arrington would the put Commanders further away from the goal of being able to get under the cap. The same is true of such players who might be considered expendable in a crisis such as Mark Brunell and Davis Patten.
Now, to be sure, there are players that the team could release that actually could save money. Some of these players are ones that the Commanders would rather not cut such as Marcus Washington, Ladell Betts, Jon Jansen and Joe Salave’a. However, the Commanders could cut those four plus Taylor Jacobs, Renaldo Wynn, Pierson Prioleau, Phillip Daniels, James Thrash, Cory Raymer, John Hall, Patrick Ramsey, Walt Harris, and Matt Bowen and still be about $8 million shy of being able to make it under the cap.
To realize the maximum cap savings, which are obviously necessary, these players would have to be replaced with rookies earning the minimum salary. Thus the “15-20 rookies” alluded to by Prisco and Pasquerelli.
The Commanders will not release all of the players on the list above. To make up the difference and to clear the remaining cap space they will have to restructure some contracts and, in the process, ask some players to give back real money.
This doesn’t happen very often. Usually when you hear about a player redoing his contract to help the team create cap room he doesn’t give up a dime. It’s usually just a matter of deferring something or guaranteeing all or part of a salary to spread out the cap hit. The player is not, as many believe, “taking one for the team” when he cooperates in such restructurings.
But it appears that if the Commanders are going to be able to scrape under the cap without losing some key players in the prime of their careers some players are going to have to take a pay cut, plain and simple. And if they don’t, well, the Commanders will enter another level of hell altogether.
Again, more on that in an article here on Tuesday. The point here is to tell you that, without a CBA extension, Chicken Little (and Pete and Lenny) will be right. The sky will be falling. A whole slew of players that have been solid contributors will be gone. There will be so many young players on the roster that the team mascot will have to be changed to Barney. The Commanders won’t be able to afford any free agents; heck, they won’t be able to afford cab fare for a free agent from Dulles to Commanders Park.
There is the possibility that a CBA extension will get done and none of this will have to happen. It’s very difficult to assess the chances of that happening; it may not look good now but a breakthrough in the negotiations could occur at any time. But if it doesn’t, well, things will get ugly. If you’re a Commanders fan, keep your fingers crossed, hang a horseshoe in a appropriate spot, be on the lookout for four-leaf clovers, or whatever you do to try to bring on good luck. This isn’t typical media anti-Commanders spin.

It’s the real thing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
In the immortal words of James Brown, the Godfather of soul...

...I feel good.
I knew that would now.
So good. So good.

Oooowwwwwwww!!!

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Hostile said:
In the immortal words of James Brown, the Godfather of soul...

...I feel good.
I knew that would now.
So good. So good.

Oooowwwwwwww!!!

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

bout time they realized that everyone was saying this for a reason and its not some percived bias against them.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The only way it could get better is if we could add a little salt in the wound by signing Jansen to be our RT when the Commanders have to release him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This is nothing but "hog-wash"! There will be a CBA and the Commanders will all be fine and dandy! Besides, Art from ExtremeSkins told me everything is alright!

The CBA will be extended, it's just a matter of each side making the other side sweat a little...

I've been hearing this "cap hell" for about 5 years now....not gonna happen, although it would be sweet if it did, just to see Lil Snyder wiggle out of this!

I dispise that organization, along with the Eagle organization! Hey, talking about the Eagle org., maybe they could lend the midget Snyder some money? The Eagles always have about 56 million below the cap every year! :eek:

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
So we have an immediate vested interest in hoping for a delay to the CBA agreement. Sign the new one on March 5 or 6 instead of by the 3rd and part of the damage will be done, I presume.

MrPhil

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia said:
So we have an immediate vested interest in hoping for a delay to the CBA agreement. Sign the new one on March 5 or 6 instead of by the 3rd and part of the damage will be done, I presume.

I was thinking the same thing.

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia said:

I sure hope you are right.........where is our cap guy when we need to hear from him!:confused:

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, if the deadskins were forced to start releasing key
players, I'd get quite a kick out of it. However, I'd love to see the Boys
beat them while they're at or near full strength. No excuses.
:skins:

superpunk

Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
Don't get me wrong, if the deadskins were forced to start releasing key
players, I'd get quite a kick out of it. However, I'd love to see the Boys
beat them while they're at or near full strength. No excuses.
:skins:

Whatever happens, it's their own damn fault. Other owners, have spent wisely, and appear to have had this date in mind, when putting together their team. As you can see, no other teams are in nearly the trouble the Skins are. So there are no excuses, although I'm sure plenty will abound from Skins fans once the Skins have to completely gut their team, or the league do it for them. So, don't feel bad, or have any feelings of cheapened victories when we start killing them. They made their bed, and now they have to lay in it.

superpunk

Reaction score
Also funny is the notion, that seems to be held by most Skins fans, that noone is better at managing the cap than Snyder and his cronies. While it's true that every year it looks like they're gonna have a tough road to hoe, and they somehow always come through under the cap, they've actually been paying for their ill-advised spending for some time now. They continuously have to restructure players HUGE contracts, just to squeak under the cap, which results in these contracts being backloaded with huge money, which will eventually hit them - hard. This also results in them having to cut quality starters/depth, or not be able to resign "core" players (as Gibbs is wont to call them) when it comes time for those "core" players to get a return on their good play for the team.

So, the Commanders, at least as I understand it, are not "cap experts", or even decent at managing their cap situation. For years they have been skating by, on very thin ice, but somehow, it always managed NOT to crack.

Well fellas....looks like there's a warm front comin' through. :D

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
That scenario is accurate, but I think there will be a new agreement. I saw an article yesterday saying that the two sides were actually closer to coming to an agreement. At the very least I think FA will be pushed back to the first of April while things get worked out.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Would love to pickup Jansen from their scrap heap...

Another funny thing is that the Commanders are (along with us) one of the teams holding up the CBA agreement. So Danny structures his contracts hoping the CBA is done, yet he's one of the owners who does not want to share revenues...Talk about betting against yourself...lol

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It's funny, Tandler was the same guy piping up PCinOz's cap saving scenario post.

Now, Tandler seems like a decent guy and all, but as a professional writer he's mid-grade at best. A tad bit of research and asking somebody who works with the cap would have been better than taking the word of some Australian business manager.

The Skins fans, especially on that board like to refer to the media as mediots, but I guess that doesn't apply to fanboy journalists.

Rich........

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Whatever happens, it's their own damn fault. Other owners, have spent wisely, and appear to have had this date in mind, when putting together their team. As you can see, no other teams are in nearly the trouble the Skins are. So there are no excuses, although I'm sure plenty will abound from Skins fans once the Skins have to completely gut their team, or the league do it for them. So, don't feel bad, or have any feelings of cheapened victories when we start killing them. They made their bed, and now they have to lay in it.

As a Commanders fan, I make no excuses. Snyder was overzealous when he first started, signing all these high priced FAs and mortgaging the future.

Its not like its paid off for us either, it was the return of Joe Gibbs and a new attitude that got us to the playoffs. 1 playoff appearance in the 6 years since Snyder has owned the team isn't what I'd call long-term success.

If we are torn apart by this, we need to seriously learn. I noticed that all of 9 of the 12 playoff teams this year were at or under the cap (the exception being the Skins, Broncos, and Bucs). Staying way over the cap and having to restructure wildly each offseaon is no way to build a championship team.

Our Super Bowl champions were built largely on free agents, but as long as the cap is around that strategy won't work anymore. Its a new era.

We may not be the same team next year, but I can guarantee as long as Joe Gibbs is coach the team will never lay down without a fight, particularly against the Cowboys.

superpunk

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
It's funny, Tandler was the same guy piping up PCinOz's cap saving scenario post.

Now, Tandler seems like a decent guy and all, but as a professional writer he's mid-grade at best. A tad bit of research and asking somebody who works with the cap would have been better than taking the word of some Australian business manager.

The Skins fans, especially on that board like to refer to the media as mediots, but I guess that doesn't apply to fanboy journalists.

Rich........

It's kind of funny to see the evolution of their mentality, huh? From, "Oh, that's just the mediots, they say this every year, Snyder is a master at managing the cap," to "uh-oh, there may be something to this," as more of their own start to realize that this isn't just "smoke-blowing." :)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
superpunk said:
It's kind of funny to see the evolution of their mentality, huh? From, "Oh, that's just the mediots, they say this every year, Snyder is a master at managing the cap," to "uh-oh, there may be something to this," as more of their own start to realize that this isn't just "smoke-blowing." :)

Funny like an angry monkey at the zoo playing with his own feces. At first it's funny, then it just becomes sad.

Oh who am I kidding? It's always funny. :)

Rich........

Wimbo

Reaction score
All this, yet if you check out page one of extremeskins,com, the following offseason moves are being discussed in one thread or another:

~ acquire Kellen Winslow Jr
~ acquire KGB
~ acquire Drew Brees
~ acquire Terrell Owens
~ acquire Tim Carter
~ acquire Kevin Curtis
~ acquire Antonio Bryant
~ acquire Jabbar Gaffney
~ acquire Joe Jurevicius
~ Trade Lavar Arrington to Oakland Raiders for Jerry Porter.

conner01

Reaction score
funny thing is the skins are one of the gang of nine blocking it. for all his faults snyder does generate a ton of recvenue and don't want to share it, like jerry. he gambled and it failed, they really will have two options. dump and rebuild, or tinker around the edges and hope you can win with what you have