Scout.com | Cap-tastrophe?

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
It's kind of funny to see the evolution of their mentality, huh? From, "Oh, that's just the mediots, they say this every year, Snyder is a master at managing the cap," to "uh-oh, there may be something to this," as more of their own start to realize that this isn't just "smoke-blowing." :)

Alot of fans don't understand or don't want to understand the 30% rule, that's really what screws us when doing the math.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
conner01 said:
funny thing is the skins are one of the gang of nine blocking it. for all his faults snyder does generate a ton of recvenue and don't want to share it, like jerry. he gambled and it failed, they really will have two options. dump and rebuild, or tinker around the edges and hope you can win with what you have

Not true, I have my doubts there are really 9 teams. Why? It takes 3/4 majority approval to pass a measure in the ownership. If there are 9 teams opposed to revenue sharing, it should be a non-issue in this CBA agreement.

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Our Super Bowl champions were built largely on free agents, but as long as the cap is around that strategy won't work anymore. Its a new era.
Free agents and scabs! Don't forget the scabs.

Two of your Super Bowl teams were strike year championships.

Commanders fans gotta love those NFL labor disputes !!!!

:skins:

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
As a Commanders fan, I make no excuses. Snyder was overzealous when he first started, signing all these high priced FAs and mortgaging the future.

Its not like its paid off for us either, it was the return of Joe Gibbs and a new attitude that got us to the playoffs. 1 playoff appearance in the 6 years since Snyder has owned the team isn't what I'd call long-term success.

If we are torn apart by this, we need to seriously learn.

Snyder didn't learn the first time - that this "Maddenistic" method of acquiring FAs wasn't the best way to go about building a team - what makes you even halfway confident he'll learn if this really does blow up in their faces?

I noticed that all of 9 of the 12 playoff teams this year were at or under the cap (the exception being the Skins, Broncos, and Bucs). Staying way over the cap and having to restructure wildly each offseaon is no way to build a championship team.

I've noticed one difference, at least between the Skins and Broncos. The Broncos have some contracts, which by releasing them somehow, provide enormous cap relief, so that cutting just a few players, provides almost all the cap relief they need. The Skins, because of all the pushing back, and restructuring they have to do, every year just to sneak under the cap, have no contracts that would provide similar relief.

Our Super Bowl champions were built largely on free agents, but as long as the cap is around that strategy won't work anymore. Its a new era.

We may not be the same team next year, but I can guarantee as long as Joe Gibbs is coach the team will never lay down without a fight, particularly against the Cowboys.

Trouble is, I don't think Gibbs really understands yet what a huge factor the salary cap has become. I remember hearing something when he first was hired, when he said that he didn't think the cap was a big deal. That it was overrated, or something like that. Well, hopefully he's learning from this. As of now, it's just a scare, but it's a scare that should really educate the Commanders.

superpunk

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Funny like an angry monkey at the zoo playing with his own feces. At first it's funny, then it just becomes sad.

Oh who am I kidding? It's always funny. :)

Rich........

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: Always.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
Free agents and scabs! Don't forget the scabs.

Two of your Super Bowl teams were strike year championships.

Commanders fans gotta love those NFL labor disputes !!!!

:skins:

Well the only year scab players were used was 87, and by the time the playoffs started all the regulars were back. In 82 the season was cut short but from my recollection no replacement players.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Snyder didn't learn the first time - that this "Maddenistic" method of acquiring FAs wasn't the best way to go about building a team - what makes you even halfway confident he'll learn if this really does blow up in their faces?

Because nothing hurts worse then knowing you could have an SB contender, but having to tear it apart because of mistakes you made. For all Snyder is knocked, he's really just an overzealous Skins fan. He has taken a step back since Gibbs got here...problem is his hands should never have been in the GM role ever.

I've noticed one difference, at least between the Skins and Broncos. The Broncos have some contracts, which by releasing them somehow, provide enormous cap relief, so that cutting just a few players, provides almost all the cap relief they need. The Skins, because of all the pushing back, and restructuring they have to do, every year just to sneak under the cap, have no contracts that would provide similar relief.

The problem with getting free agents who have performed elsewhere and signing them to multi-year contracts...is if they don't perform for you, or are problems in the locker room, when and if you release them the team takes a big cap hit. Trading Coles for Moss has helped us immensely but gave us a 9 Million cap hit for this year which is basically half of our deficit.

Trouble is, I don't think Gibbs really understands yet what a huge factor the salary cap has become. I remember hearing something when he first was hired, when he said that he didn't think the cap was a big deal. That it was overrated, or something like that. Well, hopefully he's learning from this. As of now, it's just a scare, but it's a scare that should really educate the Commanders.

Yeah I know. I don't take it personally that you all are joking about this, because in all honesty if it was another NFC East rival this was happening to, I'd be shaking my head as well. Gibbs isn't stupid...he learns. Our offense went from 24th last year to 11th this year, despite sputtering in the playoffs.
Gibbs principle during his first run was to find "character guys" who have been through wars and are proven commodities, coaching them up to play within the Commanders schemes, and minimizing the importance of the draft. Problem is now that strategy is too expensive to work long term with the salary cap.

A poster mentioned here a few weeks ago that the Commanders had been able to keep Smoot and Pierce, and draft Ware or Merriman rather then having to take Carlos Rogers as a corner, the defense would be that much more fierce. I agree.

I personally don't see how the NFL will ever be uncapped and small-market teams survive, so I think there will be a new CBA but the question is when?

I truly hope that we begin to give ourselves the cap space we need to stay strong long term...much like the Patriots have done, and all of the other successful franchise seem to be doing. We have to stop overpaying and getting in bidding wars for free agents...should have been able to sign Brunell for alot less (Gibbs saw something in him no other team did). All of the other franchises in cap trouble besides the Commanders and the Broncos didn't even make the playoffs last year. That opened my eyes big time.

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I truly hope that we begin to give ourselves the cap space we need to stay strong long term...much like the Patriots have done, and all of the other successful franchise seem to be doing. We have to stop overpaying and getting in bidding wars for free agents...should have been able to sign Brunell for alot less (Gibbs saw something in him no other team did). All of the other franchises in cap trouble besides the Commanders and the Broncos didn't even make the playoffs last year. That opened my eyes big time.

That's gonna be a hell of a tough road, to recover from the situation they're in now. It's gonna require purging, and alot of years of mediocrity-awfulness. The same thing happened here. We functioned similarly, and payed for it when veterans who kept restructuring, ended their careers before their contracts were fulfilled. The Skins have so many players that they continue to restructure big contracts with, that it could be ugly for a while.

On a similar note, I don't think they can afford to change the way they do business yet. Something like that could take 4-7 years to get all sorted out, and in suitable cap shape. Snyder can't waste Gibbs' tenure on a rebuilding/purging effort, they need to win now. IMO, they had all their eggs in the 2006 basket. They stayed relatively healthy, and Brunell performed out of his mind. All of that together, netted one, less than impressive playoff win. I'm not sure they have it in them to stay competitive this year.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
That's gonna be a hell of a tough road, to recover from the situation they're in now. It's gonna require purging, and alot of years of mediocrity-awfulness. The same thing happened here. We functioned similarly, and payed for it when veterans who kept restructuring, ended their careers before their contracts were fulfilled. The Skins have so many players that they continue to restructure big contracts with, that it could be ugly for a while.

On a similar note, I don't think they can afford to change the way they do business yet. Something like that could take 4-7 years to get all sorted out, and in suitable cap shape. Snyder can't waste Gibbs' tenure on a rebuilding/purging effort, they need to win now. IMO, they had all their eggs in the 2006 basket. They stayed relatively healthy, and Brunell performed out of his mind. All of that together, netted one, less than impressive playoff win. I'm not sure they have it in them to stay competitive this year.

The tough thing is that not all the purging can be done in one season when you have a number of bad contracts, I agree that if the CBA is extended that
we'll try to hold on to everyone we had in a key role from last year.

Yet some fans think that the hiring and keeping of our top flight coaching staff, may be because we realize that particularly with no CBA, there will be no upgrades in player personnel.

I don't see us having to start 15-20 rookies as the worst case scenario states...I do see us having to be very creative and restructure and ask a number of players to take a pay cut for a year if there is no CBA. That could barely get us under the cap with absolutely no money for FAs. If players like Arrington, Jansen, and Brunell balk on restructuring/paycuts and we have to cut them...well then we have to cut them, take the cap hits, and sign rookies this year to get under. That won't be pretty.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
funny thing is the skins are one of the gang of nine blocking it. for all his faults snyder does generate a ton of recvenue and don't want to share it, like jerry.

They also have something else in common ...their sports franchise ownership is their main money stream. They're not like Robert Kraft or Paul Allen. This isn't a hobby. Snyder may like the idea of a 2006 cap hell, but he's not about to vote against his longterm financial interests for the sake of keeping Phillip Daniels and Walt Harris for another year.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
You know guys, I wanna believe but for 5 years now we have all heard how little Danny is finally going to have to pay the piper and somehow it never happens...but what is going to be different this time ?

I do want to believe but somehow I think he will dodge the bullet again - hope not !

david_jackson

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
The tough thing is that not all the purging can be done in one season when you have a number of bad contracts, I agree that if the CBA is extended that
we'll try to hold on to everyone we had in a key role from last year.

Yet some fans think that the hiring and keeping of our top flight coaching staff, may be because we realize that particularly with no CBA, there will be no upgrades in player personnel.

I don't see us having to start 15-20 rookies as the worst case scenario states...I do see us having to be very creative and restructure and ask a number of players to take a pay cut for a year if there is no CBA. That could barely get us under the cap with absolutely no money for FAs. If players like Arrington, Jansen, and Brunell balk on restructuring/paycuts and we have to cut them...well then we have to cut them, take the cap hits, and sign rookies this year to get under. That won't be pretty.

Cutting Arrington would help alot with the cap next year and following years but would hurt them this year.....If they could swing it somehow doing this would be the smart thing by creating cap breathing room next year and beyond. He is a good player but too cap expensive.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
MaineBoy said:
You know guys, I wanna believe but for 5 years now we have all heard how little Danny is finally going to have to pay the piper and somehow it never happens...but what is going to be different this time

No collective bargaining agreement.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
david_jackson said:
Cutting Arrington would help alot with the cap next year and following years but would hurt them this year.....If they could swing it somehow doing this would be the smart thing by creating cap breathing room next year and beyond. He is a good player but too cap expensive.

Only way we even think of taking on Arringtons cap hit this year is if the CBA is extended.

If it is extended, I hope we do take the hit for the sake of future seasons...hes a good player and can make some devastatingly good plays but he's not worth all the money on his contract.