Scouting Dept...

ghst187

Reaction score
After watching another weekend of college football here were my observations...

1) CB Corey Webster of LSU got smoked time and time again, beaten badly for a score in man coverage by a WR I wouldn't consider a first rounder. I'll pass on Corey Webster.

2) David Pollack is a hugely disruptive force with a non-stop motor. People will question his athletic ability but he'll be a steal as he has a lot of heart. He requires a constant double-team and will often get around that. He has just enough lead in his tail to play the run and enough quickness to be a speed rusher. He isn't a sack-monster as he constantly gets double-teamed but always seems to disrupt the play.

3) Marcus Spears is really good also. Probably will go higher than Pollack as he seems bigger and more athletic. He is very disruptive also and makes a lot of plays. Solid player. IF we decided to gamble another 1st rounder on a DE, I would prefer Pollack as I feel he may have more potential as a speed rusher. Spears seems more certain to develop into an eventual Greg Ellis-type DE while Pollack seems like an eventual Grant Wistom-type.

4) RB Adrian Peterson from OU is one of the best backs in college football and is a true freshmen still. Can't wait to see him play as a jr.

5) RB Cadillac Williams is really good, but he's not jaw-dropping and I wouldn't think he'd be a big enough improvement over what we have to warrant us using a mid-to-high first round pick to get him.

6) Channing Crowder LB from U of Florida is a VERY good LB. If he was still available in the mid second round, he'd be a solid pick.

7) Kyle Orton is Drew Brees all over again. I wouldn't use a draft pick on him but he sure is fun to watch in college.

8) Braylon Edwards is the only other WR that excites me besides Mike Williams as a mid-to-high first round pick. I'm still a little skeptical of U of Michigan WRs as pros. I like Mark Clayton from OU also, but only as a very late first round or second round pick.

9) Vernand Morency (RB from Ok State) is VERY underrated. He is better than Tatum Bell who went to Denver in the mid-second round last year.

10) David Green could end up being a solid pro kinda like Brady snuck in under the radar then blossomed. He doesn't seem to make a lot of mistakes but people tend to question his arm strength. He seems pretty smart though.

11) So far, I think the elite players in the next draft will be:
Matt Leinert QB USC
Mike Williams WR USC
Derrick Johnson LB U of Texas
Antrell Rolle CB/KR U of Miami

12) I think this draft will be thin on talent and elite players. Seems like most of the star collegiate players are underclassmen. There should be a lot of solid NFL players taken from the '05 draft but I don't see a lot of gamechangers yet.

13) Several players on my first round watch list:
Rod Wright DT U of Texas
Cedric Benson RB U of Texas (need to see these guys play OU)
Mark Clayton WR OU
Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
Antajj Hawthorn DT Wisconsin
Marlin Jackson CB Michigan

14) I'm still lobbying for a Mike Williams and Antrel Rolle first round for us, with a close eye on Rod Wright and Hawthorn to plug our DT gap.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Draft dish: Vols' Munoz makes a name for himself
Sept. 29, 2004 Print it

By War Room scouts
Sporting News

It's not easy being the son of a Hall of Famer, but Tennessee offensive tackle Michael Munoz (son of Anthony) is showing that he hasn't fallen far from the tree. Munoz is having a terrific season leading the way for running back Cedric Houston and giving his freshman quarterbacks plenty of time in the pocket.

Munoz (6-6, 315) has been a big part of a consistent running game for Tennessee. Against Louisiana Tech last week, the Vols had 347 yards on the ground and two backs, Houston and Gerald Riggs, each rushed for well more than 100 yards.

Coming into the season there were questions about Munoz. The pedigree was there but injury trouble had slowed his progress. He needed to prove himself consistently, which he is doing this season. His technical skills are superb, and he has great footwork, power, control, agility, and size. He is an excellent, quick blocker who has improved his technique, especially with his hands.

Mostly, Munoz has a great sense for the position. He knows how to play. Prior to this season he hadn't displayed an ability to totally dominate but that is beginning to show now. If he continues on the track he is on for the remainder of the season and answers the durability and consistency questions, he will be a sure-fire first-round pick.

STRUGGLING SEMINOLE

Florida State wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe is having a quiet season, which isn't the type of season a senior wideout who is considered a potential first-round pick should have. Thorpe has not impressed and has been continually failing to put up the type of numbers that were expected. He was expected to have a dominant season and instead the opposite is happening.

Against Miami he was shut down, albeit it was against top cornerback prospect Antrel Rolle, but in last Saturday's Bowden Bowl against Clemson, he caught only four passes for 20 yards. Thorpe also has yet to score a touchdown this season.

Thorpe suffered a severe injury late last season, breaking his lower tibia and fibula. But he dedicated himself to rehab and seems to have regained his speed and strength.

Thorpe (6-1, 189) has never shown great technique and needs some fundamentals work instead of relying on his sheer athleticism. He has come up against some top shutdown defenders this year and has not performed. He will need to step it up fast or he could see himself slipping between now and April.

BOILER BACK

Most of the excitement and news coming out of Purdue has been about Heisman hopeful quarterback Kyle Orton, but on the other side of the ball, cornerback Antwaun Rogers has been very impressive. Rogers had a big game Saturday against Illinois with 10 tackles and shutdown play in the secondary.

Rogers (6-1, 168) is tall with long arms but shows great balance and agility. His recognition skills are great and he excels at defending airborne balls. He also is a sound tackler. He is a bit lean and needs to add some strength, but he projects as a first-day pick on the rise.

CAPTAIN CORVALLIS

Last week's Arizona State-Oregon State game gave us a chance to see a prototypical NFL quarterback in action -- not the Sun Devils' Andrew Walter, but rather the Beavers' Derek Anderson. Taking nothing away from Walter, who is a big-time QB -- Arizona State did win the game -- but Anderson showed off his NFL-caliber arm and abilities in throwing for 384 yards.

Anderson (6-6, 239) is big and muscular with great arm strength and accuracy, and he is fearless in the pocket. He needs to improve his ability to read coverages and must realize he can't do it all on his own. He will try to force the ball and get in trouble -- such as the two big picks he threw against the Sun Devils.

But Anderson does have the skills and the attitude to play in the NFL. He projects as a first-day pick on the rise.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Woodson is on last legs and we add another punisher across the middle.
Lets start compiling Safety prospects.

Anyone see this kid play?

Player evaluation:
Jermaine Harris
S, South Carolina
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a powerful hitter of whom receivers must be wary all over the field. Has a great NFL body with excellent strength. Works very effectively against the run and matches up well at the line. Has good experience in zone coverage. Brings a tough and physical style. Can be punishing as a run stuffer.
Weaknesses: Lacks sufficient agility and struggles to make turns in coverage. Needs to improve at reading plays and reacting to them. Doesn't flash big-play potential. Is a decent athlete, but lacks necessary speed to compensate for any miscues.

Bottom line: Harris will be in only his second season at South Carolina. While he lacks the speed and agility to be a factor in man-to-man coverage, he is a major force around the line of scrimmage. If he can show some improvement in coverage, he should be a late-Day 1 or early-Day 2 pick.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I like Cadillac over Benson....he looked like a man among boys running through, around, and over Tennessee yesterday...and he looked much faster than the defenders...even in a crowd, he was accelerating past tacklers.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Round 2 go Safety - you can usually get a starter in Round 2. I believe Roy only ran in 4.6's. Same knock was on Erik Coleman and he fell to round 5, he walked in and started day 1 in the NFL. I'm looking for playmakers at Safety.

Jamaal Brimmer
S, UNLV
War Room analysis
Strengths: Makes things happen on the field. Competes with fierce determination and has the athleticism to make big plays. Has good size and strength. Holds up well in run support and can match up along the line of scrimmage. Is a solid tackler; uses hands well to elude blockers. Excels when playing the airborne ball. Shows good technique. Is an adept leaper skilled at intercepting passes. :)
Weaknesses: Lack of speed is a glaring weakness. Will struggle to match up in man-to-man coverage against quicker NFL wide receivers and tight ends.

Bottom line: Brimmer’s lack of speed probably will push him out of the first round, but he has the potential to become an NFL starter. A playmaker with good size and instincts, he should be drafted no later than the second round.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Average Arm my ***, leadership, poise and is as accurate a passer as I've ever seen.

Dan Orlovsky
QB, Connecticut
War Room analysis
Strengths: Has prototype NFL size. Compensates for average arm strength with superior accuracy and timing. Has enough athletic ability to make plays on the run, and shows great leadership skills.

Weaknesses: Takes too long to release passes, and doesn't always generate enough velocity on throws. Lack of elite competition could hinder transition to the NFL.

Bottom line: Orlovsky must perform well in UConn's first full season in the Big East and have good games against traditional powers to solidify his status as a Day 1 pick. He soon will hold every UConn passing record, and his collegiate stats compare favorably with other top-ranked quarterbacks.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone Nors might like...Johnathan Goddard from Marshall.

I do not know if he would have the size needed to play DE in the Pros but he could be a nice "Hybrid" player.

Guy is a disruptive force.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Beef this kid up a year or two on PS. Late day 2 Thought

Player evaluation:
Antwaun Rogers
CB, Purdue
War Room analysis
Strengths: Has great height and long arms. Shows excellent balance, especially for a taller cornerback. Has shown great improvement each of his four years as a starter. Is a solid tackler in the open field. Uses long arms to break up passes.

Weaknesses: Is a bit lean, and tends to get pushed around by stronger receivers. Lacks elite speed, and isn't much of a playmaker. Struggles to make quick turn on downfield passes.

Bottom line: Rogers has impressive experience and technical skills. However, he must get stronger and show more playmaking ability to be more than a scheme corner (most likely cover 2) in the NFL. Expect Rogers to be a late-Day 1 or early-Day 2 pick.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Someone Nors might like...Johnathan Goddard from Marshall.

I do not know if he would have the size needed to play DE in the Pros but he could be a nice "Hybrid" player.

Guy is a disruptive force.

Eye of the tyger

Goddard brings hard-hitting style to Herd’s defense

By ANTHONY HANSHEW - The Herald-Dispatch

Randy Snyder/The Herald-Dispatch

Marshall junior defensive end Jonathan Goddard of Jacksonville, Fla., has gained a reputation as an aggressive hard-nosed player.

HUNTINGTON -- It’s a difficult task, attempting to properly describe Jonathan Goddard.

He’s the definition of aggression on the football field, illustrated in part by his repeated personal fouls as a sophomore defensive end last season. Outside the lines, he’s soft-spoken and more apt to play benign games such as bowling and golf.

Marshall’s defensive leader has aspirations of playing at the next level, but he’s grounded by the love of his life, three-year-old daughter Baylee.

The 6-foot, 246-pound junior from Jacksonville, Fla., is more than a football player, but with the season opening Saturday against Hofstra, that’s where the focus shifts. Speaking strictly in football terms, it’s much easier defining No. 50.

"That’s attitude right there," defensive end Jamus Martin said, pointing to his teammate. "Sometimes he does stuff we don’t like, but we need him out there. He’s the bad boy of the defense I guess you could say. He plays real aggressive and that’s what we need, somebody to keep our motor going."

Goddard was anything but anonymous last season. When he wasn’t making big plays -- he ranked second on the Herd with 14.5 tackles for loss -- it seemed aggression was getting the best of him in the form of personal fouls.

He was flagged several times during the first half of the season, mostly for late hits. It’s a problem he addressed down the 2002 stretch.

"I got caught in the moment on some," Goddard said. "I was stupid on some and some was just playing hard and going at it.

"It was a mixed bag but I’m working hard on getting those (eliminated) and getting back there (to the quarterback) quicker. I still want to play aggressive and play as hard as I can because I love to hit. That’s the main thing about this is game is hitting."

Randy Snyder/The Herald-Dispatch

Marshall defensive end Jonathan Goddard (50) hits Buffalo quarterback Randall Secky moments after he throws a pass on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2002, at Marshall Stadium in Huntington, W.Va.

Defensive coordinator Bill Wilt, who coaches Marshall’s defensive linemen, said Goddard has grown from last season’s mistakes and developed into a leader. Wilt pointed to his work on and off the field, saying Goddard has made similar strides in the classroom.

"I have a lot of respect for him," Wilt said. "He adds a lot to our football program. He’s matured a lot, and he got himself into some bad situations with a couple of foolish penalties last year.

"Kids don’t realize, not just Jon, that whether you’re at Marshall or in the NFL, those are selfish penalties. If they’re marginal penalties and it’s a judgment call by the official, that’s one thing. But when they’re clearly late, you’ve got to be above that.

"That was frustrating, but he got that out of his system early in the year and turned out to be a fine player for us, made a lot of big plays."

Goddard finished with 68 tackles last season and had a team-best 14 quarterback hurries. Marshall coach Bobby Pruett and several teammates have singled Goddard out as a leader entering the season.

He appears to have the perspective required of the leader label. Goddard sports several tattoos, and none was done on a whim. Each has meaning.

His most recent tattoo marks the birthdate and the day of the passing of his grandmother, who died this summer. The sayings "Only God can judge me" and "Only the strong can survive" are on opposite arms.

"Tyger" one of his first tattoos, stems from a nickname his mother gave him as a child. When Goddard, who was called Ty as a youngster, would wrestle with his father, he would growl. She put the two together for the unique spelling.

Goddard has the name of his daughter, who recently turned three, on his back.

"That’s my heart," Goddard said. "She loves her daddy. She loves Marshall. She cheers with the cheerleaders."

Goddard will be a big part of trying to slow high-powered offenses at Tennessee, Kansas State, Miami and UCF. It begins Saturday with Hofstra, and Wilt said Goddard has set high personal goals.

In turn, Wilt said he’s turned up the heat on his talented pass rusher. The veteran coach said he "still has some issues" with Goddard in regards to maintaining his intensity every down.

"If you have those expectations you’ve got to live up to them," Wilt said. "You’ve got to learn to be coached in those regards, so he gets coached pretty hard, as all my guys do.

"But he’s become a leader for us. He’s an accountable guy, a responsible guy and a good role model for the younger players."

At 6-0 he's small in Hos's view. At 246 he's a classic tweener. Tedy Bruschi was a DE in College............

I like his aggression, his love of the game, his production. I read the word Motor in the article. Looks to be a Parcells type player.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Player evaluation:
Shaun Cody
DT, USC
War Room analysis
Strengths: Shows a strong upper body. Has mastered several moves to get around blockers. Is athletic enough to be a factor in pursuit. Plays with high energy. Consistently gains penetration with a powerful closing burst. Finishes tackles with aplomb and forces fumbles often. Has gained good experience and a knack for playmaking to go with a great frame.

Weaknesses: Must add bulk. May lack the brute strength to hold ground against bigger offensive linemen. Doesn't have a true NFL position; may need to shuttle between tackle and end.

Bottom line: Cody, a starter for the Trojans since his freshman year, has a good physical makeup. He is making the switch to end for 2004. He isn’t suited to be a massive NFL two-gap tackle, but he could be very productive in the right system. Cody is a first-round talent, but his draft spot will depend on teams' specific needs.