News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys Hot Take: Leighton Vander Esch, worse than Jaylon Smith

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Liked the lve pick because dallas needed a lber. But hasn't been good or played much the last 2 years. Jaylon isn't good either and lee is done.

Dallas needs 3 new lbers, a fs , 2 starting caliber dts but have 2 youngs guys there, need back up des.

Cmac

Reaction score
This is dumb. LVE can play. His problem is his body holding up.

Jaylon just can't play, or doesn't want to in the name of preserving himself for off-field reasons.
LVE will the next sideline leader.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
His ability to still make impacting plays versus Jaylon when he’s on the field.

56970395-F0-DC-4-C96-BEFE-4-D0-EF11-FF5-A8.jpg
This list actually shows that Aldon Smith is valuable. Diggs has big potential. Gregory can be a monster. Chido and Woods suck.

The interesting thing about comparing LVE to Jaylon is that there is no way LVE could ever play over 1000 snaps. Jaylon playing over 1000 tells us there is a problem with our linebacker depth.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
the one terrible memory i have of LVE this season when he inexplicably went the wrong way against the Ravens and allowed Lamar to have a huge gain,its as if his instincts have disappeared since his neck injury/
If Jaylon did that it would be a meme.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Like a Zach Cunningham that was taken in the 2nd round @ 25 by the Texans.
A true gladiator of the game.
We like the opposite approach, bring us the fragile and injured.
Houston’s defense is worse then ours.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
LVE was injured in 2019.
2020, he seemed healthy once he got on the field. The only hope on his poor play is that the scheme and poor play around him left him in a tough situation that he couldn't overcome, and adapted poorly to, so that a change of scheme and situation this year would show us a player who could play.
It's not much of a hope, but it's possible.
Can we use this excuse for Jaylon too?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’ve said many times that LVE needs to show up this season, or IMO, he’s a first-round bust.

Really good in 2018 followed by a massive drop off.
Still think lve stays and maybe in the Quinn defense he saves his career. Same can go for jaylon.

but it doesn’t seem good for either one of them to come back from this year. Lve is consistently hurt and jaylon is consistently out of place.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Liked the lve pick because dallas needed a lber. But hasn't been good or played much the last 2 years. Jaylon isn't good either and lee is done.

Dallas needs 3 new lbers, a fs , 2 starting caliber dts but have 2 youngs guys there, need back up des.

LB? LVE has been injured, but they have been different ones (neck, collar bone, ankle). Possible he's injury prone but it's also possible he's just had some bad luck. Seems to me he was very tentative last year, maybe due to the scheme, or not confident in his neck? In total need to see how he does this year before kicking him to the curb. Lee obviously done, no doubt (he was years ago, but that's a subject for another day). Smith is the ? here. 160 tackles shows he does have some ability, but the contract is an issue, that's the key to keeping him or not, but again scheme may be some of the issue. Firing Nolan after only one year would lead one to believe the scheme was awful, how many players do well in the wrong scheme? That'd be like putting Cooper on a run-first team, talent is wasted if it can't be applied properly. The cap issues created by letting him go to me outweighs his shortcomings as a player, for this year at least.

Adding one good linebacker would raise the level of the entire corps, so I'd draft one first or second round, depending on how the draft goes.

DE backups?
Cowboys have 6 DEs on the roster, including the two on the practice squad. Smith and Lawrence are starters, Gregory could be, Armstrong and Anae and Carter for backups. That's three possible starters, 3 for backup. Now if a good rated DE falls in the draft and needed positions are already filled or there's no good ones available there, grab him, improve the backups if nothing else. DE position isn't full of Pro Bowlers but depth is not the issue.

FS?
Oh yeah, definite need, though Dallas hasn't placed a high priority on that position, left Heath as a starter despite his not being very good, would be a surprise if they picked one early, but that doesn't mean it's not a need.

DT?
Really the young guys aren't that bad, getting somebody that can both handle the run and rush the passer a bit would free up the young guys to make more plays. If you can't get the two way DT, then you're just getting more average DTs, that's not helping, might as well stick with who you have.

One of each of those positions this year, then re-evaluate...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There is a difference playing injured versus stupid.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I’ve said many times that LVE needs to show up this season, or IMO, he’s a first-round bust.

Really good in 2018 followed by a massive drop off.

I was afraid this would happen, which is why I hated passing on Calvin Ridley.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
broke his neck twice for the team.

As a person, I appreciate his sacrifice (truly). I hope he doesn’t have any long term effects on his health.

However, as a fan, I believe he needs to be replaced.

Every football player - ever - knows that from the minute he makes the team, they begin the process of finding his replacement.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Not even sure how hot a take this is. Other than his die hard “wolf call bro!” fans, everyone knows he was a one hit wonder in his rookie year

I’m sure he’ll be pretty good 2021 though. Gotta “rededicate himself” with intense off season conditioning to prepare for that contract year!