News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys Hot Take: Leighton Vander Esch, worse than Jaylon Smith

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I am going to guess the Cowboys are going to draft a few LBs this year. Good news is that LBs are one of the easier positions to find talent in the later rounds, I think.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
exactly what I've been saying this. Jaylon gets all the flack and people act like LVE was good when he actually played last season. At least Jaylon actually played the games. Meanwhile LVE will have a shorten career due to his neck. Its not going to magically get better. We need to let him go when his contract is up.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I’ve said many times that LVE needs to show up this season, or IMO, he’s a first-round bust.

Really good in 2018 followed by a massive drop off.
Facts. Dude is a first round bust so far. We shouldn't even of touched him in the first round with his neck situation.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Way to deflect. Can you or can you not show me his impact plays from the last 2 years.

Are you disputing Storm’s splash play analysis? Go rewatch the games and report back.

Let me guess...”okay, well, that’s one. Now show me the rest.”

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Are you disputing Storm’s splash play analysis? Go rewatch the games and report back.

Let me guess...”okay, well, that’s one. Now show me the rest.”

As I said in another post, my apologies to you. Your chart did not show up for me initially.

Reactions: JPM

Ozone22

Reaction score
I do believe a lot of us saw that with our own eyes that the wolfman hasn't been playing up to par. The LB's core could use a major overhaul this year.

JBond

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Hot Take: Leighton Vander Esch, worse than Jaylon Smith

https%3A%2F%2Fsportdfw.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2017%2F07%2F15146003.jpeg

Dallas Cowboys fans love to trash talk about Jaylon Smith. Maybe it s the big contract extension. Maybe it s the swipe . It could be his head-scra...

Read Full Story
Maybe I am crazy....

Seems his initial reads were solid and then he would change his mind mid play to cover a mistake by the line or Jaylon.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Hot Take: Leighton Vander Esch, worse than Jaylon Smith

Dallas Cowboys fans love to trash talk about Jaylon Smith. Maybe it s the big contract extension. Maybe it s the swipe . It could be his head-scra...

Read Full Story

LVE has been bad. For two years. 2019 he was playing injured. This year, AFAIK, he was just bad. It's so weird. He showed so much promise as a rookie.

With Jaylon, it was apparent the leg never fully healed, and started regressing in 2019. There's an understandable reason for his drop off.

With LVE, I just don't know what it was in 2020. He was just bad. Maybe the scheme was a poor fit, or he wasn't mentally up for it. Maybe he plays better under Quinn.

I have more hope for the future with LVE than Jaylon, as I have a *reason* why Jaylon can't play, and I don't for LVE. But that hope for LVE ain't much hope. It's more just a possibility.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Two solid talents coming out with injury concerns we used 1st and 2nd round picks on that have added to our questionable high drafts picks we’ve made on defense this era.

And cumulatively have been major contributing factors preventing this franchise from more success without a better defense.

Defensive drafts from 2016-2019 have been a disaster, particularly the high picks. We got some ok value in the 6th, but 1-5, we got an ocean of mediocrity.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Maybe I am crazy....

Seems his initial reads were solid and then he would change his mind mid play to cover a mistake by the line or Jaylon.

LVE was injured in 2019.
2020, he seemed healthy once he got on the field. The only hope on his poor play is that the scheme and poor play around him left him in a tough situation that he couldn't overcome, and adapted poorly to, so that a change of scheme and situation this year would show us a player who could play.
It's not much of a hope, but it's possible.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’ve said many times that LVE needs to show up this season, or IMO, he’s a first-round bust.

Really good in 2018 followed by a massive drop off.

In 2018, Jerry was looking like a genius with his risk picks in Gregory, LVE, and Jaylon all panning out. Now, it's only looking like we'll get something from Gregory, the lowest pick of the 3.

Praxit

Reaction score
...in the bigger scoop of things, maybe getting Quinn was good idea. I'm sure his input will be valid. He wants guys that can play. Time to clean up?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What have we learned? Please stop drafting players with known injuries.

Jaylon got away with freak athletic ability in college however since his injury lacks mobility and has zero football intuition

LVE is one good hit away from a career ending injury if not worse. Think he plays scared knowing this.

Sean Lee....gifted player with great knowledge and instincts however his body let him down. Such a shame as his career could have been beastly but he needs to retire and coach. He's out there just to fill a spot at this point

However a good Dline could make them look better. Better not good...

Particularly at linebacker

Dre11

Reaction score
I said when said they were moving him to MLB that it was a mistake.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
exactly what I've been saying this. Jaylon gets all the flack and people act like LVE was good when he actually played last season. At least Jaylon actually played the games. Meanwhile LVE will have a shorten career due to his neck. Its not going to magically get better. We need to let him go when his contract is up.
What are you talking about? Everyone’s been trashing LVE, Lee, and Jaylon all year. All these bums need to go.